Canvas Work needed South Sound - Tacoma (PNW)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlanT

Guru
Vessel Name
MoonShadow
Vessel Make
Wendon Skylounge 72'
I just learned that our canvas man "Randy's Boat Tops" has retired - good for him, and with a new boat on the horizon I am in need of some significant canvas work. Its all canvas, no isinglass needed. Does anyone have recommendations for the Tacoma area?
Thanks ~Alan

Greg's in Gig Harbor does great work, most likely just not on your schedule, he normally is quite busy.

Thanks! I have used Greg, I will be looking for someone who can deliver on time, this time!

Portage Canvas and Upholstery
P.O. Box 13221
Burton, WA 98013

Phone: 206.947.0605

Used them for cushions. They did great work at a great price and delivered on time.

Sometimes retired guys will take an easy, quick, cash job.

Ask me, I know. Cash comes in handy to buy new toys for your hobby.

Wouldn't hurt to ask him. You KNOW he has a basement full of supplies from his trade, every retired guy does. Electricians don't sell their tools, plumbers don't get rid of theirs. Mechanics still fix friends cars.

pete

Sometimes retired guys will take an easy, quick, cash job.

Ask me, I know. Cash comes in handy to buy new toys for your hobby.

Wouldn't hurt to ask him. You KNOW he has a basement full of supplies from his trade, every retired guy does. Electricians don't sell their tools, plumbers don't get rid of theirs. Mechanics still fix friends cars.

pete

Thanks Pete, I did try - he says he is only doing local jobs when he feels like it. He lives in Olympia and was not interested in doing the job unfortunately, he did really nice work....

There is a marine canvas shop on Marine View Drive, North of the Hylebos drawbridge. Not recommending, never had need of his services, but might be worth a visit.

I just learned that our canvas man "Randy's Boat Tops" has retired - good for him, and with a new boat on the horizon I am in need of some significant canvas work. Its all canvas, no isinglass needed. Does anyone have recommendations for the Tacoma area?
Thanks ~Alan
Randy Wimer is not retired yet. He doesn’t go down to work on boats in the water any longer but has been busy doing trailer boats in his shop at our home.I just happen to run across this post when I was doing a search for some thing else. That rumor was started a few years back by an unknown person.
Stay safe!
Pam Wimer (wife)

Hope you have better luck than I did up north here. I asked 3 canvas shops to give me an estimate for an aft trunk cover... one guy showed up with a big estimate.
The other two just never showed or called. Pretty crappy business attitude.

All canvas guys seem busy now. I have a friend who started a canvas business a couple years ago and he is booked out 3-4 months and is charging top dollar for their work. Seems to be a good business to get into if you have some skills. He started his business with no background whatsoever and took a few course to learn how to do it. Makes a pretty good living but it's demanding work.

Randy Wimer is not retired yet. He doesn’t go down to work on boats in the water any longer but has been busy doing trailer boats in his shop at our home.I just happen to run across this post when I was doing a search for some thing else. That rumor was started a few years back by an unknown person.
Stay safe!
Pam Wimer (wife)

Thanks Pam, I am the OP I did actually speak with Randy at the time. Here is my response to someone who suggested I call him (earlier in the thread):

"Thanks Pete, I did try - he says he is only doing local jobs when he feels like it. He lives in Olympia and was not interested in doing the job unfortunately, he did really nice work...."

Sorry if I got my wires crossed.
~A

The one on marine view drive is the boat top shop. Jeff will talk your ear off he knows everybody. and it seems like he just sort of guesses at the price-Sometimes good other times seems ridiculously high. Work is consistently very good tho. Not sure if he will travel to your boat.

Thanks ~Alan
Randy’s business is still open as of July 2024. He has scaled things down and no longer does canvas for boats in the water. Trailer boats are welcome!
I have noticed the business phone number is incorrect on a couple of sites. The correct phone number is 360-280-3923.

I
Thanks Pam, I am the OP I did actually speak with Randy at the time. Here is my response to someone who suggested I call him (earlier in the thread):

"Thanks Pete, I did try - he says he is only doing local jobs when he feels like it. He lives in Olympia and was not interested in doing the job unfortunately, he did really nice work...."

~A
I’m pretty sure that you misinterpreted his words. I can’t imagine him saying he would do local jobs when he feels like it. He quit doing marina boats but still does trailer boats at the shop.
(Randys wife)

~A

Randy would not say that he “only does local jobs if he feels like it!” He does not work on boats in the water any longer but he does trailer boats in his shop here at the house.

Hope you have better luck than I did up north here. I asked 3 canvas shops to give me an estimate for an aft trunk cover... one guy showed up with a big estimate.
The other two just never showed or called. Pretty crappy business attitude.
78puget-trawler - Have you tried Leta's Top Shop in Arlington a try. When we had our CHB in La Conner they did a new top for us.

Back
Top Bottom