Capilano Steering system Autopilot question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanK

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Poerava
Hello, regarding 1984 Kadey krogen 42 steering g system
We have the original capilano helms with uniflow 50 valve.
Never had autopilot and I want to add it. Garmin says the pump must be between the uniflow 50 and steering ram. This would place their ecu and ccu in an environment that may not be conducive to longevity (garmins cheaply made looking ccu and the cables on the ecu are not sealed very well and the area around the ram seems "moist" and their Instructions explicitly say not to lengthen the pump power wires period. We are using an octopus pump (have had great luck with them)
Looking for options?
Curious the longevity on the copper plumbing used though it look ok.
IS Simrad or raymarine a better
? Or if we replace the helms I am assuming that solves this issue, but we then need to remove the uniflow valve as well?
Thanks in advance Ryan

The original Capilano 3 line system used the #50 uniflow valve to direct return fluid back to the helm(s) via the 3rd line. This steering system is vented, not pressurized.
A/P Pumps don't "know" what to do with a 3rd line, so the only place an A/P pump can be installed is between the uniflow valve and the cylinder......I think.

You have a choice. Install what you have as the manufacturer recommends.

The other choice is longer term. The #50 valve is discontinued, has been for a long time. There are a few to be found used. You can bite the proverbial bullet and update to a 2 line system, Capilano, Wagner, Whatever 2 line system you want, your cylinder doesn't care what helm or A/P pump you use. If you do this the A/P pump can be installed anywhere in the plumbing. Typically in your style boat the A/P pump is installed below the lower helm.

octopus pump: good choice, excellent product
copper lines: lots of boats out there with 50 year old copper lines, still working

I would rate the 3 brands you mention in this order:

Simrad: always considered very good, granddad was a Robertson
Garmin: solid brand, I'm really not familiar with their A/P's
Ray: typically the least expensive option, works well and is reliable

I put Ray 3rd only because its typically the least expensive. Their A/P's work well and are reliable, and I consider them a best value.

All plumb the same way, so none will solve your immediate problem.

Many many years ago I sold a great many 3 line Capilano systems. Many years ago I sold and set up Simrad and Ray A/P's (Garmin had no A/P at the time) so my information may be dated, but then you have a dated (but very good commercial grade) steering system.

The setting up of the A/P's is very important to how well the unit performs. Things like rudder gain and response speeds need some work to get right.
A piece of advise, when changing these settings do not do it in small steps. Make big changes, gauge the difference, and back up appropriately. Incremental changes won't give you the "feel" for what the setting change translates to, a large change will.

I hope you find this helpful

Capilano 3 line drawing.png

Back
Top Bottom