Carbon filters and chlorine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger Long

Vessel Name
Gypsy Star
Vessel Make
Gulf Star 43
Yikes! This from a CNN story today about a city in New Mexico coping with wildfire ash leaching into its water supply: “It's also a health risk -- when carbon reacts with high levels of chlorine used to treat water, it can become carcinogenic.”

I recently bleach shocked our fresh water tank. Should I have changed the carbon filter in the filtration system at the same time (it wasn’t due)? Everything I drink goes through a Brita filter bottle so, if the risk is particles, as the story said, I should be OK. As a general rule though, should filters be changed after any chlorine based treatment regardless of time on the filters?

I can't, from my very limited understanding, make sense of that news coverage. My best guesses are (a) that there is something, important in this respect, different about the wildfire ash than the purified activated carbon intentionally used for water filtration, (b) there is some impurity in the natural ash vs purified carbon thst reacts with chlorine to make something hazardous, and/or (c) possibly more likely, the concern is consuming the ash, itself, as a pollutant in water, vs consuming water filtered by the ash, but which does not contain the ash. When we filter water with carbon, we don't consume the carbon (in significant quantity).

To my very limited understanding, neither plain old carbon nor activated carbon, by itself can adsorb chlorine. They basically adsorb organic contamination and other contamination that get trapped in the "pores".

Carbon, and especially activated Carbon, can react with chlorine, converting it to chloride by oxidation. Chloride is just an electrolyte you naturally have in your body and might drink in a sports drink or supplement. Not cancer causing.

If there is also ammonia in the water, which seems likely, it seems likely that the pH of the water would encourage the formation of chloramines. The chloramines would then be reduced by the carbon to some mixture of nitrogen, hydrogen, ammonia, chloride, water, and carbon, depending on the specific chloramines, carbon, pH, temperature, etc. But, I don't understand any of those chemicals to be carcinogenic.

And, since the filter isn't holding the chlorine in any format, it can't leach back put later when the conditions change. Remember, the chlorine is staying in the water, just being oxidized into a more human-friendly chemical. Nothing is building up in the filter.

Having written all of that, I do think you should replace your filter, but not because of carcinogens. My concern is thatbif you feed it a higher than usual level of chlorine, it will be inactivated by the oxidation reaction faster than usual, becoming ineffective sooner than usual. "Shock" it with a ton of chlorine and you'll end up with a bunch of inactive carbon clay capable only of adsorbing pollutants -- not oxidizing some of those it can't adsorb.

In other words, even though, as a result of high chlorine exposure, the carbon won't leach anything and can continue to adsorb organic and certain other pollutants, it will no longer be able to oxidize chlorine and certain other chemicals it could otherwise neutralize, rendering it ineffective in this respect.

But, please keep in mind that I am certainly not a biochemist, chemist, physician, etc. What I think I might know about this I remember from my days as the keeper of a couple of ornamental reefs.

Attachments

• aquariumcropped.jpg
    aquariumcropped.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for a very useful reply. It jogged my memory that I did take out the carbon filter for the shock. I then emptied and refilled the tank and replaced the filter. I did it just to be sure chlorine got into the whole system but I now see that it was a good idea. I left the sediment element of the two part filter in place but that's just a physical process. No detectable chlorine smell or taste after the simple emptying and refilling of the tank.

Maybe send The Head Mistress a PM and ask her.

Thanks for a very useful reply. It jogged my memory that I did take out the carbon filter for the shock. I then emptied and refilled the tank and replaced the filter. I did it just to be sure chlorine got into the whole system but I now see that it was a good idea. I left the sediment element of the two part filter in place but that's just a physical process. No detectable chlorine smell or taste after the simple emptying and refilling of the tank.

Based on that you should be just fine.

I guess I'll also note that overwhelmingly most carbon-based potable water filters list removing chlorine, chlorine taste, and/or chlorine smell from drinking water as an intended use of the filter.

While that doesn't rule out the filter behaving differently at chlorine level significantly above those normally in potable water, especially since there are no warnings dissuaded from their use in higher-than-normal chlorine situations, it does give somewhat of an indication that they are safe in this respect.

I'd expect one heck of a warning if a product were sold to remove chlorine or impacts of chlorine from waternintended to be consumed by humans -- but polluted the water with hazardous levels of a carcinogenic in the presence of too much chlorine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom