Cat 3126b advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I replaced raw water pumps, both engines and due to unforeseen circumstances, 6 months transpired in the process...after installation, both fired up normal, but stbd engine is showing a brownish sludge, in little flurries out of the wet exhaust.

I only ran it for 15 minutes, to see oil pressure, cooling, charging etc...all appeared normal.

My thought, was that this is rust in the heat exchanger, from the duration and to either do a Barnacle buster exchanger clean before going crazy.

Any input would be appreciated.

Steve.
N57-001
Illuminautica.

Two theories:

Rust as you supposed. But it can’t be enough to warrant BB treatment.

The old R/W pump wasn’t working very well and the low flow left sediment behind. The new pump with improved flow pushed it out.

In any case, just run it.

David

Steve
My general advice would be more proactive. When was the last time your heat exchanger and after cooler were removed, pressure checked and cleaned? How about a coolant flush and for sure look and coolant integrity right now.

If your exhaust runs are black iron pipes that could explain some rust but if rubber hose or FRP then where is rust coming from if it still persists?

Are the 3126 aftercoolers alloy on both sides? How about the transmission coolers? In essence, unless recently done I’d advise a complete cooling system servicing. The 3126s love maintenance and rebel when not done.

An excellent read on these engines are the boat diesel.com archives.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom