CE or Aqua Map

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
Hi All,
I'm looking for some input. For cruising the east coast and soon the Bahamas am I better off with Coastal Explorer or Aqua Map? I've used CE for years but have no experience with Aqua Map. Pros? Cons? Other recommendations? Thanks folks.

Howard

We use TimeZero instead of Coast Explorer, but in our case I see them as having different functions.

We usually use TZ on a laptop in the cabin for major planning, route development (which I seldom bother to do), track capture, etc.

And then we usually use Aquamap on a tablet on the bridge for real-time backup to our MFDs, another complementary set of charts (to our NOAA vector, NOAA raster, and Garmin vector charts), USACE survey data displays, etc.

IOW, we use both.

I've read Explorer Charts are important for Bahamas... and those would be availlable to us if we chose to install C-Map charts on our Furuno MFD... but don't know (or remember) whether those are available in Aquamap.

-Chris

I have used them both, for planning and for bridge navigation. CE is more comprehensive, but I don’t use the extra features. I like AM a lot and it seems easier to use.

David

I think OpenCPN is the best chart plotter available, paid or free. I've used it now for around 15 years and wouldn't use anything else for my primary chart plotter.

Jim

I believe Aqua Map only works on a phone or tablet. I have no experience with Coastal explorer.

My experience with apps on tablets for navigation is not good. The screens can be impossible to read in direct sun and several times the tablets have shut themselves off because they got "too hot".

For me, a navigation instrument that shuts itself off because it overheated is not reliable enough to be counted on to navigate a boat.

Personally, I use an Garmin system and it has been reliable for many years.

And then we usually use Aquamap on a tablet on the bridge for real-time backup to our MFDs, another complementary set of charts (to our NOAA vector, NOAA raster, and Garmin vector charts), USACE survey data displays, etc.

IOW, we use both.

I've read Explorer Charts are important for Bahamas... and those would be availlable to us if we chose to install C-Map charts on our Furuno MFD... but don't know (or remember) whether those are available in Aquamap. Chris

We also use Aqua Maps as a back up to MFD-Navionics. A few things to Note:

1) Aqua Maps only runs as an app on a tablet or phone, it will not drive your AP or receive radar.
2) tablets need to be kept under bimini/out of sun/extreme heat and need a power source to maintain screen at high intensity levels
3) Aqua Maps can display Active Captain & Waterways Guide crowd sourcing info as well as USACE data and weekly NOAA aids to mariners updates. With cell service, you can also display currents, waves and wind speeds
4) If your boat has Wi-Fi, AM can display N2K data incl. AIS, depth, SOG etc.
5) Aqua maps uses Explorer charts for Bahamas

It's about the charts primarily, and only secondarily about the charting program/app.

I'm not sure how true this still is, but as of about 10 years ago the Explorer chart data was by far the best for the Bahamas. Then for electronic charting, it becomes an exercise in figuring out which charts include the Explorer data. At the time, Cmap included the data, but Navionics did not, so I used Cmap on CE, but you could just as well use it on anything else that it supports. I think Furuno offered the Explorer charts as a specific layer or something, but that may have changed. I have no idea whether Garmin includes that data, or whether it's been added to Navionics now that Garmin owns them.

I think Furuno offered the Explorer charts as a specific layer or something, but that may have changed.

Furuno offers C-Map charts as option for the NAVnet and more recent TZT MFDs. Presumably the C-Map charts for the Bahamas area would then include Explorer charts. Just somewhat guessing, though, since we've only used the NOAA charts.

-Chris

Last edited:
As mentioned Aqua Maps supports Explorer Charts. It is also the only program I know of that provides USACE data - very valuable in many places like the ICW.

The NOAA charts are updated weekly from the cloud based on the published LNM (Local Notice to Mariners).

Beyond phone and tablets, Aqua Maps also runs on Macs that have Apple Silicon chips.

We find it a great complement to our Furuno installation.

Thread drift, but relevant.

OpenCPN supports USACE, Explorer charts and a lot more.
OpenCPN Chart Sources some free depending upon the issuing agency.
Some, including Explorer Charts, available at a reasonable cost from O-Charts.org
As mentioned Aqua Maps supports Explorer Charts. It is also the only program I know of that provides USACE data - very valuable in many places like the ICW.

The NOAA charts are updated weekly from the cloud based on the published LNM (Local Notice to Mariners).

Beyond phone and tablets, Aqua Maps also runs on Macs that have Apple Silicon chips.

We find it a great complement to our Furuno installation.

As others have suggested, sort of apples/oranges in that Aqua Map is an App vs Coastal Explorer is a PC-Based program that also has a companion App.

If comparison is CE App to Aqua Map App, go with the latter. I find the CE App usable but lacking.

Peyer

Hi All,

I'm looking for some input. For cruising the east coast and soon the Bahamas am I better off with Coastal Explorer or Aqua Map? I've used CE for years but have no experience with Aqua Map. Pros? Cons? Other recommendations? Thanks folks.

Howard

And yes, you need the Explorer charts, however you can get them...CMap, Aqua Map, CE, etc. but not available on Garmin.

I use both and find there are situations where I prefer one over the other. Really like CE on a large PC screen with it's NEMA 2000 interface. Also like the display of depth and many other bits of information from the network displayed to the right. Having AIS integrated into the chart is also a big plus. I run Aquamaps on a 12" tablet also. Nice to have a completely redundant mapping system with it's own GPS and power supply. Being tablet, I find some of the features faster to access on a tablet and also significantly more portable than my CE system. Cant really answer your question relative mapping accuracy in the Bahamas. Both seem to work well on the East coast and through the Great Lakes. For the relatively small cost (compared to a marine MFD) I'd recommend having both.

Ted

Howard for bc a guy who losses his shoes why bother with a chart. :). Having plied the waters of the Bahamas since the 1950s I suggest you definitely have explorer charts (I still have the original paper charts). What ever system you like pick that if it includes explorer charts.

I don’t have anything bad to say about CE. I used it on my previous KK. On this boat, I have older Garmin MFDs. I have elected not to replace them because I find I use my iPad 99% of the time with AquaMap as my primary navigation tool.

If you are traveling the ICW there is nothing better than AquaMap, and it is not even close. It contains ACOE surveys as Dave mentioned, and with Route Explorer you will always know the distance and time to the next hazard, marina with fuel, and bridge on your route. You can use it as an anchor alarm and mirror your anchor position to your phone while you are ashore.

If you are cruising in the Bahamas, you can download the Explorer charts AND you can covert them to feet rather than meters.

Mike

Bigsfish, you have a great memory and that's more important than shoes.
Mike, I do have Aqua Maps. Thanks to all who have replied.

Hands down Aqua Map Master. No other cartography is updated more than Aqua Map and no other incorporates Corp of Engineer surveys. Also run Navionics on Simrad plotters and C-Map on tablet simultaneously but prefer AM on 10" Samsung Galaxy tablets.

I love this discussion. We moved from CE to TimeZero on the nav computers running Raster and C-Maps. Also, run the iBoat on the iPad connected to the TX network. Looking forward to the new mapping solution from TZ on both.

Bringing this thread back to life. I was pleased to see that Bob423 tracks can now be downloaded directly to AquaMaps. Damn he's accurate!

BTW, Bob423 tracks have been on Aqua Maps for many years. Great for those who only take the ICW on occasion.

Have c-map and navionics on the simrads. But also run aqua and navionics “boating” on a iPad in the pilot house. Really like having two different charts up. Find it very helpful to run the boat off the simrad MFDs but have waterway, aqua and boating on a pad. Very common to use the pad to look at possible destinations or areas of concern while navigating off the MFDs. Often will use navionics autoroute on the pad but not autoroute on the simrads. On the simrad don’t autoroute to the AP. Rather put in the course myself. Have never had the pad overheat. Nor even get wet or dropped. It’s either on a IPad rest next to the wheel in the pilot house or in someone’s hand while sitting down. It’s in a otterbox but no other protection. It’s never in direct sunlight. It isn’t brought up to the flybridge.
It’s $59 / yr for boating on a pad. And the other non MFD aids are free or real cheap. Why limit yourself to just one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom