Changing an impeller advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Different engine, same problem. ca. 2002 Cummins 6BT with a Sherwood pump, which does not have a plate for impeller changes. You have to remove the entire pump from the engine, then remove the impeller housing from the pump -- and naturally space is ridiculously impractical for any decent tools. Estimated service times for this engine are from another planet, as they were made at the factory while the engine was on the bench.

A different raw water pump with access plates is ~ $1000 and requires rerouting hoses.

Welcome to no-good-options land. :)
That's weird.
I had a Cummins 6BTA (2002) and my Sherwood pump had a removeable cover. I did change out that poor pump to a much better one from Seaboard Marine. Impeller changes were much easier after that.

I love the O-ring cover. I would have bought Speedseal, but ended up making a sketch and having one machined. I used Allen head screws, which stay on the end of the wrench while installing. Only need 3 screws because gasket compression for a seal is no longer an issue.
What I dont have is the teflon and brass discs to extend dry running survival.

Nick

Sometimes its too late and the rubber impeller went to chunks and bits before you decided to change it.

Back flushing is a huge PIA as one is never sure all the tiny chunks are gone.

The best prevention is a sea water filter on the impeller pump output.

The Y type is really easy to check but most any style will do.

Different engine, same problem. ca. 2002 Cummins 6BT with a Sherwood pump, which does not have a plate for impeller changes. You have to remove the entire pump from the engine, then remove the impeller housing from the pump -- and naturally space is ridiculously impractical for any decent tools. Estimated service times for this engine are from another planet, as they were made at the factory while the engine was on the bench.

A different raw water pump with access plates is ~ $1000 and requires rerouting hoses.

Welcome to no-good-options land. :)

Hello to this older post.

Similar situation here, with a 2005 6BT. Were you able to replace the impeller with just removing the portion that houses the impeller, or did you have to remove the entire assembly including the flange?

Thanks.

Attachments

• M71_2.jpg
    M71_2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom