Choosing the Right Helm Seat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

more

Having the right helm seat can make the difference between a comfortable or uncomfortable trip, be it in a 35m cruiser or a 6m trailer boat. David Palmer looks at some of the options.US manufacturers, on the other hand, would start by designing an armchair, with cushions, recliner mechanism and space enough for a Chicago Bulls player to stretch his legs . . . then design the fighter plane around it.
Cost is another important factor. Just because it is the cheapest or most expensive seat on the market doesn’t mean that it is right for you. Helm chairs vary in price considerably – it just depends on what you want.

$3-5,000 will get you a good one that won’t look out of place on any boat. $12-25,000 will get you an all-electric chair with enough style to be an adornment to any super yacht and enough features to make any skipper happy in his work.

And if you really want to go for the ultimate in helm seats and you have a spare $25k to $40k to spend, a custom made helm chair that will put the boat controls at your fingertips, mounted in the armrests is available. This even includes a toggle for steering. These aren’t common, though, perhaps because most boaters are romantic enough to picture themselves standing manfully at a helm.

are this news paper crazy or I am crazy $1k to $40k for seat, give me this money and I seat on piece wood like all my life I seet on a sailboat.
i thinking buy this Premium Reclining Helm Chair for Yachts Caravans - Ivory Colour - thargo.com

for my boat. how I pick select from most expensive, is nice I buy. who put crocodile leather stitched with indian king cobra skin. with Swarovski cristal inside for luck

Current issue is how you use the boat and what boat is it. Once your into something really fast some form of suspension seat makes a huge difference. Shox or Shockwave seats are expensive. A lot of tech in them and durable materials that can survive in salt costs as well. But that’s not necessary for the typical trawler. I have Lebrac and they are extremely comfortable and adjustable. You need to put your butt in a few brands to get a sense if comfort is worth the cost of that brand.

Current issue is how you use the boat and what boat is it. Once your into something really fast some form of suspension seat makes a huge difference. Shox or Shockwave seats are expensive. A lot of tech in them and durable materials that can survive in salt costs as well. But that’s not necessary for the typical trawler. I have Lebrac and they are extremely comfortable and adjustable. You need to put your butt in a few brands to get a sense if comfort is worth the cost of that brand.
this Lebrac is litle 300% expensive vs GB/ Italy produced
this

Premium Reclining Helm Chair Premium Reclining Helm Chair for Yachts Caravans - Ivory Colour - thargo.com

what I now want pay. before April I need a new seat or a new ultralether. normal painted steel no way come on my boat. this Lebrac is more for van seat. for boat seat frame is plastic,SS,GRP,some PVC and maybe aluminium . inside ultralether or leather.outside only marine grade ultralether

Having the right helm seat can make the difference between a comfortable or uncomfortable trip, be it in a 35m cruiser or a 6m trailer boat. David Palmer looks at some of the options.US manufacturers, on the other hand, would start by designing an armchair, with cushions, recliner mechanism and space enough for a Chicago Bulls player to stretch his legs . . . then design the fighter plane around it.
Cost is another important factor. Just because it is the cheapest or most expensive seat on the market doesn’t mean that it is right for you. Helm chairs vary in price considerably – it just depends on what you want.

$3-5,000 will get you a good one that won’t look out of place on any boat. $12-25,000 will get you an all-electric chair with enough style to be an adornment to any super yacht and enough features to make any skipper happy in his work.

And if you really want to go for the ultimate in helm seats and you have a spare $25k to $40k to spend, a custom made helm chair that will put the boat controls at your fingertips, mounted in the armrests is available. This even includes a toggle for steering. These aren’t common, though, perhaps because most boaters are romantic enough to picture themselves standing manfully at a helm.

are this news paper crazy or I am crazy $1k to $40k for seat, give me this money and I seat on piece wood like all my life I seet on a sailboat.
i thinking buy this Premium Reclining Helm Chair for Yachts Caravans - Ivory Colour - thargo.com

for my boat. how I pick select from most expensive, is nice I buy. who put crocodile leather stitched with indian king cobra skin. with Swarovski cristal inside for luck
You can try that helm chair but After 1 year it will probably be broken and if not it will squeak with every wave. If you plan to keep the boat for 10 years you should invest in a better quality chair.

Our 2007 boat does not have the right helm seats. I am leaning toward replacing the two pedestal seats on the bridge with a bench seat much like modern center consoles use. Very comfortable, rock solid, storage included. Anyone go down that path?

IMG_1974.jpeg

My Uniflite had a bench seat. It was nothing fancy. In fact it was not much more than plywood, foam and vinyl on top of a wooden box. To this day we would prefer a bench seat, unfortunately we just don't have enough walk around room to add a bench seat to the current boat.

Back
Top Bottom