Cool Safety Tip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the Lifesling 5 to 1 tackle and mounted an attachment to the mast 5 feet above the aft cabin deck. There is a straight shot from the mast, through the transom door, to the swimstep. I should be able to pull someone right onto the swimstep. Need to test that this Summer. The tackle also works great for lifting 8D batteries out of the engine bay.

Good for docks, too. I did some dock work last summer. Any idea how hard it is to get on a deck just a foot above waterline? . [emoji15]

the docks at my marina are close to two feet off the waterline. i haven't been in lately, but i've had to go in to grab a wayward child once or twice. it's near impossible to get back up on those docks.
i have an overboard ladder that came with the boat, but you have to grab it from the laz and hang it over the side. i'll be making up a better one when i catch up a little on more pressing problems.

We have something similar to this attached to the swim platform for emergencies. It can be deployed from in the water. Where as our swim ladder cannot be deployed from the water.. 552522.jpg

Last edited:
the docks at my marina are close to two feet off the waterline. i haven't been in lately, but i've had to go in to grab a wayward child once or twice. it's near impossible to get back up on those docks.
i have an overboard ladder that came with the boat, but you have to grab it from the laz and hang it over the side. i'll be making up a better one when i catch up a little on more pressing problems.

The docks should have ladders to get out of the water mounted around the marina. Some places it is required but everywhere it is the smart thing to do.

Perhaps just leave the swim ladder down at anchorage or while aboard at dock etc. as part of your “check list.”

What prompted me was looking at a couple listings today with nice folding swim ladders that nonetheless would be impossible to reach to deploy if you were already in the water. My previous express cruisers and bow riders typically had a platform ladder that was easy to deploy from the water side but many yachts do not.

Back
Top Bottom