Corroded snap fasteners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick F

Guru
Vessel Name
Callisto
Vessel Make
1974 Grand Banks 42 Classic, Hull 433
I am the new owner of a Grand Banks 42 which came with some nice new looking canvas. However, when I tried to remove the canvas it was near impossible to pop off the snap fasteners. In one case I had to rotate the entire canvas in order to unscrew the male part from the hull!

Can anyone recommend:

(a) how to free up the existing fasteners

or

(b) how to remove (and replace) the old fasteners without damaging the canvas.

Any recommendation for:
Selection of new fastener brand/material?
Preservation of new fasteners to prevent them getting hard to snap?

Check out Sailrite - great instructional videos. Of course they sell tools and snaps as well, but I found them to be a great source of info and products.

Once you get new snaps in place keep them lubricated often and they will work great. I use Star Bright snap lube.

Star brite Snap and Zipper Lubricant with PTEF, Model: 89102

I am the new owner of a Grand Banks 42 which came with some nice new looking canvas. However, when I tried to remove the canvas it was near impossible to pop off the snap fasteners. In one case I had to rotate the entire canvas in order to unscrew the male part from the hull!

Can anyone recommend:

(a) how to free up the existing fasteners

or

(b) how to remove (and replace) the old fasteners without damaging the canvas.

Any recommendation for:
Selection of new fastener brand/material?
Preservation of new fasteners to prevent them getting hard to snap?

I use a tiny straight slot screw driver to open up stuck snaps. Work it in between the 2 parts and then twist the screw driver.

How to remove the old fasteners, use a drill to drill out the inside. You can use channel locks to hold the fasteners while drilling them. Then go to Sailrite as suggested and buy new snaps and the tools to install the snaps.

Good advice above.
Drilling is the best removal technique but usually requires holding the button head with pliers or vise grips.
The Press-N-Snap tool is more expensive than others but is FAR SUPERIOR in terms of ease of use and results. You won't use it often so if looking to save a few $ find a boating buddy that wants to share use and split cost.
They also do a nice job with grommets with a different die set.
Lube the new ones and they will work easy.

Thanks for all the good responses! Some specific Qs

Should I use nickel plated brass, or SS?

Should I buy the hard action variant which I see offered?

I see that the Press-N-Snap tool is $419, but there is a similar tool on Amazon at $59. Has anyone used the less expensive tool?

Regards,
Nick

Last edited:
Get one of the crazy expensive snap removal tools. When apart, get some bronze wool and clean both surfaces of the corrosion, then use one of the snap lubricants mentioned above (or Chap Stick if you are frugal). And always use the snap removal tool in the future.

I see that the Press-N-Snap tool is $419, but there is a similar tool on Amazon at $59. Has anyone used the less expensive tool?

???
Amazon (US) has tool listed at $190US (236 CAD). Amazon (CA) lists it at $371(CAD). EBay also has many listings at $190US

Press-N-Snap gives a high quality crimp and considering the high price of sunbrella I would not compromise on quality.

This is the tool I have and have used for probably 20+ years. It is great. Amazon has it for $189, probably could find it for less if you look.

Hoover Pres-N-Snap Tool - Complete Kit

Check out Sailrite - great instructional videos. Of course they sell tools and snaps as well, but I found them to be a great source of info and products.

Yes the videos are great. Their prices aren’t the absolute lowest but they stand behind their products. We bought a sewing machine from them and had a problem with it. They fixed it in one day and sent it back. 12 years later it is still going strong.

SS button snaps are the only way to go.

I use bees wax and fill the female part of the snap.

Press-N- Snap run about $165 from both Sailrite and Rockfordsupply.com
They are head n shoulders better than the next best (less expensive) ones.
Buy one and do snap replacements for anyone in your marina needing them replaced and pay for the tool.

Last edited:
BUY THAT SNAP REMOVAL TOOL! Best 20 bucks you'll ever spend!!!! Use SS fasteners. Sailrite is a great source. If you're really serious, get the Hoover Pres-N-Snap tool. A must have tool if you're doing snap work. I like Starbrite Zipper Lube the best of the lube types. Easy to apply and a tube goes a long way. McLube Sailkote spray lube is excellent too, especially on Lift-the-Dot fasteners. But go easy on it - a little goes a long way and it will stain your canvas if your waterproofing has worn off..

Fred Boykin

Get one of the crazy expensive snap removal tools. When apart, get some bronze wool and clean both surfaces of the corrosion, then use one of the snap lubricants mentioned above (or Chap Stick if you are frugal). And always use the snap removal tool in the future.

Those expensive tools aren't justified until you go into business making up canvas stuff.

This is what I have been using for years, never wishing I had the better ones:

https://www.amazon.ca/General-Tools...+installation+tool&qid=1654359795&sr=8-3&th=1
I'm with Dave on this one. I used the hammer type when I first started but it is a real pain the find a solid place to hammer on when setting the stud. Having to remove a piece of canvas to do it also a pain if you have more than one to replace. If you make yourself a new panel and want to install snaps and get them placed perfectly I do one at a time and mark the adjacent one(s). On & off can be a royal PITA! With the tool you can easily install in place and move to the next one.
If anyone is doing their own sewing of canvas, even if just for yourself, splurge for the tool... you will never regret it.
I did some DIY canvas work and almost immediately had requests to do some for friends, fellow boaters in the marina. All equip, tools etc were paid for by "side jobs" for a select few friends.

The best lube I have found is plain ChapStick.
Doesn't run, melt, evaporate, and is cheap. Just put a little dab on the female part.

I have Loxx fasteners instead of snaps. They are a bit more expensive but you can reuse them as you change canvass. Plus the do not corrode easily and if they do, a quick squirt of WD40 will loosen them. https://loxxfastenersusa.com/products/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom