Cost of "Top to Bottom" rebuild Ford Lehman 120 hp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Best Alternative
Vessel Make
36 Albin Aft Cabin
For two years I have been fighting a lubrication problem on my F.L. After several "band-aid" fixes it was determined, by top rated professionals, that it had to come out.

It had less than 5,000 hours on it. It was not getting oil to the top end of the engine. The ports had been cleaned, new rocker shafts installed and a number of other attempts at repair. All for naught. Twenty to thirty hours of use would find the pushrods loose, out of place and beyond adjusting.

The final diagnosis was that the cam had been damaged in addition to other problems. To properly seat the cam bearings the engine needs to be on a bench, therefore, out it comes.

The rebuilder, A highly recommended, very competent shop in Green Bay Wisconsin estimated 55 hours for the removal and replacement. Seemed too high to me, especially at $135.00 an hour, plus travel time. My marina has some very reliable mechanics and the estimated less than 40 hours for the job, at $75.00 an hour, so I went with them.

The engine came out in 10 hours, went back in in about the same amount of time, Total in and out was $1,800.00

The parts for the rebuild were $8,438.00. Most came from American Diesel, some came from Bomac. I checked prices myself and in most cases I was not charged any "up charge" on the prices.For example, I had told the rebuilders that I didn't want to spend $500 for a new started and they found one for half that.

Everything in the engine was either replaced or carefully checked against specs. I only needed one piston which was $186.00, The other 5 pistons were reused, that is about the only parts reused.(Plus the crank)

I can provide anyone who is interested an actual copy of the invoice but I will hit on a few of the more expensive line items:
1. Camshaft $270
2. Raw water pump 645
3. Rockers, left 1,145
4. Rockers, right 1,145
5. Shipping 418
6. Machine shop 820
7. Starter 270
8. Tax (Wisconsin) 985

Grand Totals:

Engine "In and Out" $1,800
Labor 9,183
Parts 8,438
Tax 984

Grand Total $20,405.00

Time away from boating? July

Could I have gotten by cheaper ? Probably, but what would be the trade-Off?
Am I glad I did it ? Yes, but twenty thousand is still twenty thousand.
How does it run? Unbelievable!!
Why didn't I go with a new Yanmar or other new engine? For one reason, I didn't want a tier 4 or tier 5 engine, too complicated and not my style. Also the cost would have been about $40,000 for the engine, 5 - 10 thousand for the tranny and probably 5 - 10 thousand for a installation adaptations, new shaft and prop. Just too expensive.
Why didn't I get a long block? Don't believe everything you hear about a long block or one of the rebuilt engines from Bomac for $10,000.For one thing you are not certain of what is new and what is not. Shipping could run you another thousand or two. Also warranty questions.

That puts me into my 1978 Albin, counting all other upgrades at around $65,000.
Will I ever get it back out? VERY doubtful! Miracles do happen, but rarely to me. Besides that, It is not for sale and probably will not be for sale for a number of years yet.

pete

Glad you are satisfied with the rebuild. Hope you enjoy your new engine for many years to come.

Put lots of hours on it before the warranty period expires. Hopefully it will give you many trouble free years.

Ted

Pete, where are you located?

I have a ford Lehman that needs rebuilding. I am in SF bay and having difficulty locating a machine shop to rebuild the block (replace the sleeves, etc)

My port Ford-Lehman 120 was rebuilt in San Diego by Admiralty Marine many years ago. It was not a sleeved engine. Mine was rebored, and larger diameter pistons were installed.

Hello - hoping for some sagely advice. I am considering a boat (GB42) with 2 x SP135 Lehmans with over 8000 hours each. The engines appear to be in great shape and the owner has kept up with maintenance. However - I would like to know what I might be getting into. Are there any major maintenance items at around 8k hours I should be aware of? Also, any thoughts on parts availability.
Thanks!
Wally.

They are great engines. 8K hours is more than average but Bob Smith told me that the watermen in the Chesapeake area bring them in around 20K hours for a preventative rebuild. But these are professionals and run them every day pretty much. So they will likely get more hours before a rebuild than a pleasure boater. Best advice I can give is to call Brian at American Diesel. He is Bobs son and is the guru on the Lehman engine. Don’t call on Mondays because he is usually quite busy after the weekend.

804-435-3107

They are great engines. 8K hours is more than average but Bob Smith told me that the watermen in the Chesapeake area bring them in around 20K hours for a preventative rebuild. But these are professionals and run them every day pretty much. So they will likely get more hours before a rebuild than a pleasure boater. Best advice I can give is to call Brian at American Diesel. He is Bobs son and is the guru on the Lehman engine. Don’t call on Mondays because he is usually quite busy after the weekend.

804-435-3107
Thank you for the advice. Much much appreciated!

Find out the cost to rent a boat in your area. Every time you take your boat out, you can take that amount off the $65,000. It may not go away completely, but it will get smaller.

You could have exchanged your engine for about 5000 euro. You give your engine to the overhaul shop and they will give you a newly overhauled engine. That is what I did and it worked out fine. You will need to pay for transport cost of course, but it still beats any other version.

It had less than 5,000 hours on it. It was not getting oil to the top end of the engine. The ports had been cleaned, new rocker shafts installed and a number of other attempts at repair. All for naught. Twenty to thirty hours of use would find the pushrods loose, out of place and beyond adjusting.

The final diagnosis was that the cam had been damaged in addition to other problems. To properly seat the cam bearings the engine needs to be on a bench, therefore, out it comes.
Can we discuss what was fixed that caused the problem? 5000 original hours and it was not getting oil to the top and the lifters were not getting filled to keep the pushrods tight.
This sounds like a failed oil pump. Is that on the invoice?
No doubt you have a rebuilt engine now.

You could have exchanged your engine for about 5000 euro. You give your engine to the overhaul shop and they will give you a newly overhauled engine. That is what I did and it worked out fine. You will need to pay for transport cost of course, but it still beats any other version.
Was that in the US?

Even 5 years ago the average swap for a 120/135 Lehman was over $10,000 US foe the more well known Leman rebuilders I had reports from.

I lost my starboard Lehman 120, was able to purchase a rebuilt engine from Bomax for 10k, shipping will run around 800 to the PNW from Georgia. I’ve gotten a few quotes to remove old and install new at 6k. Just can’t find anyone yet to do the swap. Seems everyone is pretty busy through the summer, hopefully will be able to get it done soon. Once all said and done I’m figuring 20k total.

For two years I have been fighting a lubrication problem on my F.L. After several "band-aid" fixes it was determined, by top rated professionals, that it had to come out.

The rebuilder, A highly recommended, very competent shop in Green Bay Wisconsin estimated 55 hours for the removal and replacement. Seemed too high to me, especially at $135.00 an hour, plus travel time. My marina has some very reliable mechanics and the estimated less than 40 hours for the job, at $75.00 an hour, so I went with them.

The engine came out in 10 hours, went back in in about the same amount of time, Total in and out was $1,800.00

The parts for the rebuild were $8,438.00. Most came from American Diesel, some came from Bomac. I checked prices myself and in most cases I was not charged any "up charge" on the prices.For example, I had told the rebuilders that I didn't want to spend $500 for a new started and they found one for half that.

Everything in the engine was either replaced or carefully checked against specs. I only needed one piston which was $186.00, The other 5 pistons were reused, that is about the only parts reused.(Plus the crank)

I can provide anyone who is interested an actual copy of the invoice but I will hit on a few of the more expensive line items:
1. Camshaft $270
2. Raw water pump 645
3. Rockers, left 1,145
4. Rockers, right 1,145
5. Shipping 418
6. Machine shop 820
7. Starter 270
8. Tax (Wisconsin) 985

Grand Totals:

Engine "In and Out" $1,800
Labor 9,183
Parts 8,438
Tax 984

Grand Total $20,405.00

Time away from boating? July

Could I have gotten by cheaper ? Probably, but what would be the trade-Off?
Am I glad I did it ? Yes, but twenty thousand is still twenty thousand.
How does it run? Unbelievable!!
Why didn't I go with a new Yanmar or other new engine? For one reason, I didn't want a tier 4 or tier 5 engine, too complicated and not my style. Also the cost would have been about $40,000 for the engine, 5 - 10 thousand for the tranny and probably 5 - 10 thousand for a installation adaptations, new shaft and prop. Just too expensive.
Why didn't I get a long block? Don't believe everything you hear about a long block or one of the rebuilt engines from Bomac for $10,000.For one thing you are not certain of what is new and what is not. Shipping could run you another thousand or two. Also warranty questions.

That puts me into my 1978 Albin, counting all other upgrades at around $65,000.
Will I ever get it back out? VERY doubtful! Miracles do happen, but rarely to me. Besides that, It is not for sale and probably will not be for sale for a number of years yet.

pete

Yikes
Another kick in the pants for me to make sure that my engine maintenance is performed on schedule. Thanks for posting your struggles and cost for fixing your engine. It is great information to know, and I sure hope I can avoid a situation like yours.

Was that in the US?

Even 5 years ago the average swap for a 120/135 Lehman was over $10,000 US foe the more well known Leman rebuilders I had reports from.
It is a company in the Netherlands where you can buy the overhauled engines, but they ship all over the world. You don't need to rush the shipment to them, I shipped from Greece and that was reasonably priced. Pretty sure you are not going to end up at 10.000 for 1 engine.

Name of company please.

My searches are striking out.

Last edited:
Reply from Netherlands company (no breakdown on what is included just approx cost less shipping)

Good morning,
If no trade-in, the engine costs €7,000 (currently $7700 USD less shipping and fees)
You should inquire about transport yourself

Met vriendelijke groet,

Ronald kramer.

Reply from Netherlands company (no breakdown on what is included just approx cost less shipping)

Good morning,
If no trade-in, the engine costs €7,000 (currently $7700 USD less shipping and fees)
You should inquire about transport yourself

Met vriendelijke groet,

Ronald kramer.
That seems to be the same price I had. I shipped them my engines and they shipped the new ones in return, that is why I paid 5000 euro. I had no use for the old ones, so this was an easy way to arrange it. I assume shipping cost to the US via container will not be that dramatic, there is a lot of shipping going back and forth. Since they will go out of the EU they will be without VAT, which saves you quite a bit.

Still would have to run the current pricing and overall deal.... there are a few factors that can fluctuate wildly from year to year. Plus there is time involved if that is important to a customer for how long the boat might be out of commission.

It is one source to consider for those considering an engine swap.

Those are of course issues the owner will have to deal with. We did the swap in the winter time, boat was out of the water anyway and we combined it with the rewiring. When the engines were out there was good access to everything.
For me the most important part however was that this company is specialized in Ford Lehman engines, they have decades of experience with them. And that was much better than what I could find in Greece, where they had not even heard of these engines. To take a FL to a shop for overhaul and they have never heard of that engine did not sound like a good deal to me.
The company in the Netherlands could send me the test report of the engine after the overhaul, so I knew what I would get was in perfect condition.
But indeed, time on the shore, time for shipping etc needs to be taken into consideration.

Back
Top Bottom