Crew wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PdxSailor

Vessel Name
Omanchie
Vessel Make
Duffy 46
I need to move my Duffy 46 down east cruiser from Stuart Florida to Savannah in the next month or so and would prefer to have crew along for the trip rather than single handling the boat. The boat has two staterooms and 2 heads. Anyone interested in joining me or have suggestions on where to post to find amateur crew? Thank you.

Please see private message or respond via eMail at ppmeis1@gmail.com since I have never had any trash mail or sales call from this site I will include my phone number. (715) 889-0485

pete

If selecting crew from TF... may want to read back through a bunch of their posts to get a "demeaner" and "experience" check for your own piece of mind.

Greetings,
What Mr. ps said. MY question: Will there be dancing girls?

iu

Dancing Girls

Only if they can tap dance on the foredeck

Suggest you tell us a little more about your boat and your experience. Ten years ago I might have been a candidate, but only if the skipper had a reasonable experience level. You might also consider offering to pay air fare both ways -- that was the usual arrangement when I was crewing for others and had others crewing for me.

Also, are you planning on going outside or in the ICW? It's around 300 miles -- a two day trip outside, but much longer inside.

Jim

Boat details

Fair comment that more info would be helpful.
I have been sailing for 40 plus years. Acquired this boat in Syracuse NY 2plus years ago and brought it through the Erie Canal, down the Hudson and down the east coast to Savannah, mostly on the ICW. It was stored there until early this year when i brought it south to Stuart. I plan to move the boat to St. Augustine via the ICW where I will meet family to take the boat further north, so i only need crew for the trip to St. Augustine.

You might also consider offering to pay air fare both ways -- that was the usual arrangement when I was crewing for others and had others crewing for me.

I had a regular rotation of crew but sometimes got jammed-up. I met many people through TrawlerFest and used a few as crew. One fellow - a Sonoma County CA sheriffs deputy - was especially good. He and his wife went on to purchase an early Seahorse Diesel Duck and took posession in China and started cruising.

My point is many of the crew I used would have gladly paid me for the pleasure, but I always paid them. When I moved Weebles from San Francisco to Ensenada, one of my best friends flew in from Florida. He's quite wealthy and didn't need the money, but I paid his airfare anyway. Just seemed like the right thing to do (truth is, I paid for coach airfare, but I am pretty sure he flow first class).

That said, now that I'm on the other end, I would crew for free myself including transit on both ends (but would be wary of someone who expected it). But would have to be with the right person/boat. Not sure how an owner would prove that, but pictures would sure help to let me know they are a conscientious owner. While I don't mind pitching-in, I really wouldn't want to be on a POS that I had to fix twice a day. I'd do it for a friend but not something I'd sign-up for as a stranger.

Bottom line - OP: more info. Sell yourself and your boat.

Peter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom