Cruising North on the Illinois Waterway next week!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mml2112

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
2008 Mainship 400
My mate and I are planning our maiden voyage from Grafton, IL to Chicago.

1. Leaving next week with full tank of diesel and spare parts
2. The locks close June 1 for the whole summer, so we have to make it through!
3. There aren't many good marinas along the way.
4. Watch out for barges, jumping carp, delays at locks, low bridges.
5. Stay mid-channel, don't trust buoys, they aren't always in the right spot.
6. Watch the chartplotter :)
7. Take down the AGLCA burgee that the previous owner left flying (we won't be looping, just running around the Great Lakes)
8. Go slow and enjoy the ride! (9 knots)

Any other thoughts folks?

Take warm clothes, it is still winter up here.
Leave the AGLCA burgee, that is exactly what you will be doing. You should join the group, it is fairly expensive for a boating group but a good group.

pete

I did that trip in 2017 in a Grand Banks 36, and I was glad to have a working AIS transponder when I was forced to anchor alongside the channel due to low water levels. The first night we had to do this I was a bit apprehensive and called to the downbound first tow I saw some miles ahead on the plotter display. He said that he was already seeing us and we would be fine. Slept a lot better after that. When we got to the electric fish barrier south of Chicago, they were running a survey boat up and down the area and had the channel closed which required us to hold in place for hours. The local barge company refused to allow us to tie off to something. We found the smaller fleeting tug skippers to be VERY aggressive and not afraid to try to frighten you clear out of the channel! Pay close attention to the bridge heights - standing on the flying bridge, I could reach up and touch a couple of bridges as we went "downtown."

I did the same trip early last year. Many buoys were missing or out of place.

Don't be afraid to talk to vessels and locks on VHF, or call locks by phone in advance. Also make sure you understand the one whistle/two whistle passing instructions.

I've done the trip several times and haven't had any trouble finding spots to anchor. I noted where I anchored in my blog starting here: http://boatingadventures.ca/2022/04/10/illinois-river/

There is a great family restaurant in Hardin on the left going upbound that's easy to stop at for a meal out.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom