Insurance on Older Boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lammy

Hi All,

This pertains to Canadian boats (BC coastal waters).
My wife and I are considering a switch to a Trawler style boat now that the kids are grown (32 LOA, fiberglass hull, current seaworthy Survey). There seems to be a threshold at 30 years of age where some insurance companies will not even look at the boat for insurance yet I see lots of older boats in marinas (where in BC you typically require $2M and sometimes $3M in liability just to get moorage).

So my question is: are older boats out or, if not, who is insuring these older boats?

Thanks for any input you may have.

Chris

Cannot speak directly about Canada but yes older boats can be more challenging to insure but multiple factors other than boat age come into play. You may have to shop more or perhaps lower the insured value but at least here in the US it is usually possible to obtain coverage.

Find an insurance broker and have them find a company. In the states I like Peter Ricks but I doubt that he does Canada.

Before I even heard about this 30 year rule I had no problem for insurance on a 1971 GB36.
I now have a 32 year old boat again no problem, never a question over the age.
But perhaps it is because I have been insured with no claims and boating since the 70's, have Canadian Power & Sail credentials, was with Coast Guard auxilary.
I do believe a newer boater without a long term experience together with a bigger over 30 year old boat is the demographics that are finding it harder to get insurance. IMHO

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom