Cruising places west of the Rockies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msu1966

Vessel Name
Marooned
Vessel Make
Ranger Tug R-27
I am a retired former Great Lakes sailor for 20+ years. I somehow stumbled upon the Ranger Tugs, R25 & R27 trailerables. I have 4 sons all out West (San Diego, Salt Lake, Bozeman & Portland). Currently I try to spend a few months in my 5th wheel RV to visit them. I really miss sailing so it seems I can have the best of both worlds with a trailable boat that I can live on.

Looking for recommendations on cruising locations while traveling to those cities mentioned. One of my bucket list areas are the San Juans. Love to hear about yours.

Regards,
Ken

I have spent several wonderful days on Lake Mead. There are literally thousands of miles of shoreline,thousands of anchorages and sights of interest. The water is warm and clear, fishing is good. If you end up with a trailerable boat I would certainly give it a look.

pete

Flat Head Lake, Mt
Lake Shasta, CA
Kelowna, BC
Columbia River, OR/WA
Sacramento Delta, CA
San Francisco Bay
San Diego Bay
Santa Barbara to Newport
Lake Meade, NV
Lake Powel, AZ/UT
Lake Havasu, AZ
Seattle to Ketchikan

Specific to the towns you mention,

Portland:

we have a few Columbia and Snake River cruising veterans on the list who hopefully will chime in.

San Diego: the Channel Islands, though you'd want to put in further north depending on which you are headed to.

Between the above two, "tiltrider" supplied a good list, particularly the California Delta.

These alone can occupy the rest of your cruising days if you live long enough.

I'm from San Diego Bay and have a trailerable boat. A 25' C-Dory, comparable to the Ranger 25. We've trailered, launched and camped all over the west. It's been a great trip; our web site is Journey On Travels. We've stayed in campgrounds, yacht clubs,marinas and anchored out.

So here are some comments.

San Diego Harbor is good for a week. Remember, it's highly developed so there's anchoring only for a limited time at Glorietta Bay and next to the Southwest Yacht Club, on weekends. Chula Vista Marina is a recommendation for a marina, since they have a place to store your trailer, for a fee.

The Channel Islands are wonderful. Take your boat into the Painted Cave. Anchor in Pelican Bay or Smugglers Cove. Launch in Ventura, it's only 23 miles across the channel. It's 150 miles upwind if you launch in San Diego.

The San Juans are one of the 2 best cruising grounds in North America, the other is the Chesapeake. We launch out of Blaine these days, because you can leave your trailer there. Anacortes has a launch service, check to see how long one can leave the rig.

Good luck and it'll be a wonderful trip

Boris

I concur with many of the choices. You could spend a whole summer and fall on Lake Powell alone!

Yellowstone Lake and Jackson Lake could be considered while up Bozeman way. Both allow motorboats and overnight use, depending on what you want to do. Also Canyon Ferry reservoir and smaller Hebgen Lake.

Also the Columbia River from Astoria up to the mouth of and up the Snake River impoundments to Idaho.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom