Cummings VT 900 M

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodr004

I have two of these engines aboard my 1964 Point Class cutter. I have called Cummings 3 or 4 times and get nowhere as they never digitized the information on these engines. I get squat when I do online searches for them. I would like to know what oil and fuel filters they used and I'd like to find some repair manuals. I know these are a thousand HP de rated to 500 HP. They are original to the ship. I have a s/n for the port engine and the tag is gone on the starboard engine.

I am trying to get the parts ordered before I head out August 7th to pick up the ship and run it 400 miles north to the yard for a bottom job and survey. If anyone has experience with these old engines or know someone who has, I would appreciate hearing from you!

Thanks.

Pat

Just a thought, a local heavy truck or construction equipment shop may be able to help you. Not a dealer shop; they're only interested in new stuff. If the owner or shop manager is 65-plus, you stand a better chance.

I use a heavy equipment shop that has hundreds factory service manuals and parts manuals on obsolete construction equipment. Whenever a dealership closes or stops carrying a line of equipment, they reach out and offer to haul away the manuals.

Try boatdiesel.com. It costs $25 I think to join but they have lots of good info.

These are very old diesels. Parts are almost non-existent. ebay may have a manual occasionally. I know you just bought the boat, but I'd find other engines. The navy was phasing them out at the end of Vietnam. There is a company that repairs old diesels somewhere in the Seattle area. If you do a search for some of the WWII diesels they should show up. In the past they bought up old diesels and parts inventories. They make some parts but are not cheap.
You might try
Old Marine Engine
If you search Alibaba.com there are several makers of Cummins diesels or parts.

I agree about joining Boat Diesel. It may or may not help but you won't know unless you try.

Also try Ebay. THey have, or used to have, a function to hold your question/enquiry for a long while. Use it. I have a V555M Cummins and got some hard to find tools exactly that way.

IMG_0035.png

Back
Top Bottom