Walkie Talkie with Headsets Hands Free

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update on SENA’s. I had one that never had battery life issues and one that did. I purchased a new set and now have no issues. I currently have 3 that work and one that has been disposed of.

My boat is 60’ over all. If one person is at the front and one is at the back there can be static issues but other than that extreme communication is crystal clear. Many people report perfect communication at all times but I noticed their boats are not as large so don’t read too much into those reports. There is a limit to range but for most it’s not an issue.

We have SENA -- the SPH10 models, originally without user-replaceable batteries.

No particular issues with range; I've been off the boat, down the dock a few hundred yards, and we've still been able to yak back and forth.

About that battery thing:

Amazon.com

The first link describes changing the battery anyway. The second is a battery on Amazon that says it will work with SPH10s... (and several other SENA units)... with better specs than the one ref'd in the H-D thread, slightly better specs than the original.

I mention this now, because we're apparently due for battery replacement... and I've been looking into how to do that. A couple of our T8 screws on each unit are showing some signs of rust, so I'm hoping that doesn't turn out to be a problem...

-Chris

We have used the EarTec units for the last 3 years and they work great! They are indeed "marriage savers".

Have thought about this. In my area I have yet to find a marina without cell service.
Anchoring maybe not always.
So whynot get earpieces and use the cell phones for docking.
So far this season I think we've docked at least 15 times at docks with either zero, or unreliable (1/2 bar) cell service. (Lake Superior)

Have thought about this. In my area I have yet to find a marina without cell service.
Anchoring maybe not always.
So why not get earpieces and use the cell phones for docking.
Since posting the above in 2021 we now have marriage savers. The single earpiece cell phone system was drowned out by other sounds often. The dual headset has not failed to allow normal voice comms. Pricey but worth it.

Since posting the above in 2021 we now have marriage savers. The single earpiece cell phone system was drowned out by other sounds often. The dual headset has not failed to allow normal voice comms. Pricey but worth it.
I've been using the EarTec's for the last 5 years. They work great, but I have come close to losing them overboard several times-usually going through the locks when I have to put my head between the railings to tie up. I like the head mounting system of the marriage savers. Seems a lot more secure. The link doesn't mention push to talk or VOC.

I'm still very happy with our SENA SPH10s. Battery life after a number of years can be an issue. Not a problem if someone remembers to charge them.

They a VOC, hands free. The design was for motorcyclists under helmets, but yes a headset above ears would be in the way more often.
I've been using the EarTec's for the last 5 years. They work great, but I have come close to losing them overboard several times-usually going through the locks when I have to put my head between the railings to tie up. I like the head mounting system of the marriage savers. Seems a lot more secure. The link doesn't mention push to talk or VOC.

For Sena sph10 owners. Yes you can replace the battery. It is not easy, requires a T-8 and a very small pry tool most can make due with a jewelers screw driver.

You must remove the ear covers and then rotate the ear cover bracket to gain access to the T-8 screws.

I drug out my old Sena set, charged them up to full. Played with them, after 10 minutes one signed off due to low battery. Obviously that is the one I chose to experiment on. Replacement battery was $11 on Amazon.

Sorry for the thread drift.

^^^ same experience, we love the EarTec, just have to take the batteries out when not using.
If we are talking about the UltraLite headsets, they can be turned off, but I admit it's tricky. You press and hold the blue button for about a second or twountil it beeps. There can be an immediate beep when you first press, and that needs to be ignored. And if you have a Master headset, there is an on/off slide switch on the bottom of the ear piece.

What is definitely annoying is that when you install a battery, they turn on. So when changing bateries, you need to remember to then turn the headset off if you aren't going to use it. It's very easy to forget.

I have found the Eartec units are the only ones that work reliably on a larger boat, especially with intervening boat structure.

Note that there are two arrangements for their headphones; one with a master headset, and one with a hub.

With the master headset, it acts as the hub for all the other headsets, so you need to be sure it's one you are using at all times. And the range that you are using will be from the master to whichever other headset is furthest away from it. If the master gets too far away from everyone else, or gets blocked by boat structure, everyone loses coms.

With the hub, all headsets are the same and communicate with the hub, not directly with each other. You don't need to make sure that one of the headsets being used is the master - just grab any headset. And you can locate the hub centrally some place where you can test and ensure good communications from anywhere in the boat. On a bigger boat (70' LOA) this works really well where most other headsets that we have tried don't work reliably. I can even go in the ER or laz which have aluminum clad panels and ceilings, and still talk to someone anywhere else on the boat.

The whole setup is a bit more costly than others, but works really well.

I also like that you can get both single ear cup, and dual ear cup headsets. On the boat we have single ear cup so you can still easily head someone on the dock or a lock operator. I have a second set (non hub) with dual ear cups that I use at home on a UTV to reduce noise and make it easy for the occupants to talk, just like on a small plane. And my wife and I used them when building a stone wall, me in an excavator moving stones, and her on the ground guiding their placement.

This is true, they are great but feel unstable.

We have added OEM lanyards to ours, which seems to help and adds backup in case they slip: UltraLite / PRO16 Eartec Lanyard

The OP posted "walkie talkie" and I would go with a moderately priced set of Motorola family radio walkies.

I bought a set off of Amazon for WAY less than the EarTechs I had (hated them and sold after 2 uses) and any other of those "expensive" sets of similar nature.

The regular family walkies have great range for boat to dingy use if necessary, have weather channels if ashore to keep tabs on quickly changing weather, now have headset and hands free talking capability. They charge quick and last all day if not chatty. Sure they are bigger than headsets but I find them more versitile.

Something to think about.

The OP posted "walkie talkie" and I would go with a moderately priced set of Motorola family radio walkies.

I bought a set off of Amazon for WAY less than the EarTechs I had (hated them and sold after 2 uses) and any other of those "expensive" sets of similar nature.

The regular family walkies have great range for boat to dingy use if necessary, have weather channels if ashore to keep tabs on quickly changing weather, now have headset and hands free talking capability. They charge quick and last all day if not chatty. Sure they are bigger than headsets but I find them more versitile.

Something to think about.

Yes, inexpensive, viable. Especially for longer range, as when off boat. Not wonderful for docking or anchoring, though, IMO.

Partly because not perfectly hands-free, even with VOX headsets. (I mentioned latency, in post #12.)

Partly because not duplex, PTT/simplex only... so one can't interrupt when the other is already speaking.

In areas where good cellphone connectivity is available, we found those -- with Bluetooth earpieces -- less irritating that our Motorolas. OTOH, had to put the call on speaker to get hands-free, and then wind noise across the cell phone was an issue, too. And we don't always have wonderful cell connectivity anyway... although that's gotten better over this last decade or so...

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom