Cup holder choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
I've had cars with cup holders everywhere and cars with wholly inadequate cup holders. Mariner did not build the 37 with coffee or water bottles in mind, though they did leave space to mount what you like, so that's the question. Choices include inset "drill a 4" hole and seal in a stainless cup holder, mount the cup holder frame type on the surface, and mount the Starboard type on the surface. Those are also presented in (my opinion) the most expensive to buy and install to the least expensive to buy and install, though all that depends on where you buy it. This is leading my thinking at the moment. Space forward of the Morse control for two big tumblers plus a box for whatever else needs stowed (plus spiders, of course). So what do you guys recommend?

Starboard cup holder.jpg

We met folks on a nice yacht who had cup holders with a suction cup on the bottom that if you tried to tip, would not budge. If you lifted straight up, it comes up easily. It does require a smooth solid surface such as fiberglass. We've ordered several to bring with us when we resume our trip from southern Mexico to Panama.

Looks like there's a video embedded. Again, does require a smooth surface. Our caprail on the fly bridge is 6" wide and encapsulated in fiberglass and painted in Alexseal so not a problem

Peter

I have a couple of these. They do not use suction cups, rather there is a gel substance on the bottom which gets a fierce grip on surfaces, even textured or pebbled ones. They work really well. It looks like maybe sold out?

Limited-time deal: HAQAF Anti-Spill Desk Cup Holder, Drink Coaster with Anti-Slip Sticker Adjustable Inner Diameter Multifunctional Drink Holder for Various Sizes of Water Cups Coffee Cups Water Bottles - Black https://a.co/d/2gHjjyn

You guys are all in the removable cup holder camp. Is that because your preference for cup type or location has changed over time?

Slick! I find myself using cup holders almost exclusively for coffee these days, and for me, that still means hot coffee in an insulated mug or tumbler.

Slick! I find myself using cup holders almost exclusively for coffee these days, and for me, that still means hot coffee in an insulated mug or tumbler.
They make heated ones too.

You guys are all in the removable cup holder camp. Is that because your preference for cup type or location has changed over time?
I'm all for not drilling new holes in my boat if at all possible. Way back in my sailboat days we had some suction cup bottom can holders. They worked great. This was before our joint obsession with plastic water bottles but they would work great for those. Modern versions have a slot for a handle.

We also have a couple wide bodied mugs with a black rubber base. The base was conical in shape with a very wide base. They would spill and the rubber base was surprisingly resistant to sliding around on the sailboat.

I mostly use an insulated mug these days too. It can be hard to find a good holder for them as they’re so big.
So I picked up a mug from brumate that seals completely and locks closed. It can survive a fall without popping open. Rubber non slip bottom, keeps coffee hot for hours. No cup holder required.

I use these on my smaller boat---might not work in a pilot house with no place to clamp it.

RoboCup

Do you guys know how many men it takes to open a beer?
NONE!
It should be open when she brings it...........

I'm going to try one of these, very similar: Amazon.com

OTOH if the cup is anywhere near full then a big wake will create a spill just from sloshing around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom