Current on the New River in Fort Lauderdale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juliefbb

Vessel Name
Candide
Vessel Make
Offshore 58
Looking for advice, thoughts, and information.

We are docked on the New River in Ft. Lauderdale near the Andrews St bridge were we take our tide info - Andrews St Station.

The question is: How do we figure out when it will be slack current where we are?

In the past, by watching stuff float by, that slack current is generally about 2 hours after low tide and roughly at high tide or just after. We thought we had it figured out but this morning the current didn't stop until just over an hour after high tide. Are there seasonal shifts?

With currents in the New River, we worry about return docking at the end of a trip. The timing is important so as to not be washed away in the current while trying to back into the slip.

Any ideas, thoughts, advice are appreciated.

We are in a 60' Offshore Pilot house.

It is a river so currents will always be affected by both river and tidal flows...so predictions are pretty iffy unless you have had no rain for awhile upstream.

I cant be certain but the tides vary around one to three feet in the bak waters there.

On days where the tidal currents should be stronger, the current should be more predictable.

Beyond that, just check them closely the day before you need to do something and use that as a guide. For long trips, know anyone there that can give you the info?

Last edited:
I traversed the New River many times, all the way up to Marina Bay or the Yacht Haven. I think I still have all the place nicknames memorized for communication and coordinating with other boats (particularly the Jungle Queen and the big yachts being towed). Boat was a Hatteras 56MY. Frankly, I never found the current to be a big issue other than you have to be a little more careful coming downstream on the ebb, but I never timed transit to the tides. My guess is that if you ask around the marinas or yards, likely even the bridge tenders, someone might know the current schedule.

Edit: Well whatta y'know:

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaacurrents/Predictions?id=ACT8126_1

https://tidesnear.me/current_stations/1452

Last edited:
I would think observations like you have done before should be close enough unless you really need to be exact. Tidal heights vary throughout the month but I'm not aware of seasonal changes. Currents in a river are more likely affected by recent rainfall or lack thereof. If the current is stronger or weaker than normal, that will affect the timing of slack tide at any specific location along the river.

By the way folks, technically it isn't a river, it is all tide driven with no natural residual current unless it has been raining heavily. Note that the flood is often stronger than the ebb; I have to admit I had never witnessed that or remember that, maybe just coincidence or CRS.

We were based at Marina Bay west if I95 for 3 years and on the river by little Florida for several years before that. The current is heavily influenced by the gates on the north new river canal that drains out of the Everglades. That makes them pretty hard to predict.

One fork of the river turns South at the Dania cut off canal, under I595 and winds back through Pond Apple Slough, a worthwhile dingy ride all the way around to the AICW South of Port everglades.

By the way, the rendezvous waterfront restaurant in Marina Bay has happy "hour" from 11a to 7p with half priced drinks. Their mojitos are another good reason for that dingy ride! ( The food is pretty good too)

Back
Top Bottom