De icer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
Hi,
I want to install a Kasco bubbler 2400D for the winter. The marina allows me to plug in from an available pedestal. I plan to use this pigtail adapter to connect the bubbler.

There are two questions. First, the plug end says L5-20P, I think the pedestal socket is L5-30P, is there any concern that this adapter working in a 30P socket?

Second, the bubbler requires a GFCI protected circuit. This pigtail adapter does not have GFCI protection. I plan to add a regular outdoor timer, like the GE extreme weather outdoor 24 hour timer, but the specs of such mechanical timers do not include GFCI. How to meet the GFCI requirement?

Screenshot_2024-10-17-18-48-27-54_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Get a waterproof electrical box and mount a 20 amp GFI in it. Run a cable from the outlet on the adapter to the electrical box. Plug the bubbler into the electrical box.

Get a waterproof electrical box and mount a 20 amp GFI in it. Run a cable from the outlet on the adapter to the electrical box. Plug the bubbler into the electrical box.

There is assembled box for sale. This satisfies the GFCI requirement. But It will trip at 20amp, the pedestal circuit breaker trips at 30amp. The bubbler does not have a built in fuse, could it be already damaged at 20amp power surge before the GFCI activated?

Screenshot_2024-10-17-20-42-00-66_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2024-10-17-20-49-35-33_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

I would take it one more step. Add a 20A breaker to the new box. The power station uses a 30a breaker which is too high. Since the GFI is rated for 20A and should be using no smaller than12 gauge cords for 20A.

I would take it one more step. Add a 20A breaker to the new box. The power station uses a 30a breaker which is too high. Since the GFI is rated for 20A and should be using no smaller than12 gauge cords for 20A.

Is the purpose of the 20A breaker to protect the bubbler?
the breaker trips at 20A. without the breaker, the gfci outlet also trips at 20A. so I don't get it.
the bubbler's operating amp is 5.4A. so should a 10A or 15A breaker be used?

I meant to specify that but I guess I didn’t.

Is the purpose of the 20A breaker to protect the bubbler?
the breaker trips at 20A. without the breaker, the gfci outlet also trips at 20A. so I don't get it.
the bubbler's operating amp is 5.4A. so should a 10A or 15A breaker be used?
The purpose of the breaker is to protect the wiring.

To protect he wiring and your boat from catching fire. Keep in mind, the 30A breaker in the tower has been exposed to moisture for god knows how long. Some are very hard to trip due to this.

The GFI outlet could trip if on over current. It may not, its not a designed as circuit breaker. They provide protection when the current in the HOT wire is not balanced. Why risk it? Is your boat worth the cost of a breaker?

To protect he wiring and your boat from catching fire. Keep in mind, the 30A breaker in the tower has been exposed to moisture for god knows how long. Some are very hard to trip due to this.

The GFI outlet could trip if on over current. It may not, its not a designed as circuit breaker. They provide protection when the current in the HOT wire is not balanced. Why risk it? Is your boat worth the cost of a breaker?
Got it. So it's very important. But 20a is too high for the bubbler. This circuit will power only the bubbler. Is a 10a breaker better?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom