Defever 49 RPH or 50 in New England

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TJM

Vessel Name
Harmony
Vessel Make
1982 41' President
Wife and I are upsizing to one of these 2 models. Problem is when we see them in the market, they go under contract before we get a chance to board them.
Is there an owner that is willing to provide a :30 tour and discussion about their boat? We are well aware of the features and options. It is a jump from our 41' President. Headed to Constitution Marina in Boston tomorrow to look for one.

TJM
Based upon my experiences over the years we’ll kept DFs sell quickly and often with no listing. Contact Curtis Stokes and tell him what you’re wanting. Be prepared to pay more than you’d like though.

TJM
Based upon my experiences over the years we’ll kept DFs sell quickly and often with no listing. Contact Curtis Stokes and tell him what you’re wanting. Be prepared to pay more than you’d like though.

That’s how we got ours. Looked for a while, many were gone before we had a chance. Then got a line on one before it was listed and it turned out to be the one.

Ken

We have a 1991 49 RPH that we bought 2 years ago. Love it. We moved up from a Tollycraft 37, which was an even bigger jump. The Defever is heavy and slow, which is an adjustment coming from a semi displacement boat. But it feels solid in big water. I’m not sure I’d buy one without stabilizers. I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Same thing for us too. We had a DeFever 44 for the previous 5 years and knew we wanted to up-size to a DeFever 53.

Every night we would scour the internet sights searching for a 53 on the market. Finally one did come on the market and "boom" we booked the first flight to the boat's location.

We were the first of FIVE scheduled to view the boat! Fortunately the boat was as advertised and we had a contract immediately (subject to a survey).

Ten years later we still love our DeFever.

Rusty
M/V Kristine
DeFever 53 POC
Iuka, MS

Good Luck!!

Rusty
Jim Rogers has a 53 berthed out of Anacortes. He had a seamless swim platform added which includes a spiral stair arrangement. Ingenious and makes boarding a snap. Wilson Li worked with him on this addition as best I remember.

You might consider contacting or joining the DeFever Owners Association. Members are often willing to show their boats in situations like yours. Often we advertise to the members when our boats are coming up for sale. For instance, my 49 RPH will be for sale this summer.

We purchased a 2010 Defever 50 CPMY 2 years ago and love it. This model was an upgraded design of the DF 49 CPMY, also known as the 44 + 5. I believe they only made 12 starting around 2007. We have hull #4. The major differences are a wider beam, 16 vs 15, and a semi displacement hull. It is powered with twin John Deere 300hp diesels and will do 12-13kt WOT. We cruise at 8-9kts and burn 6-7 GPH. The extra foot in length makes for a larger V berth with a vanity table and a dry head with separate shower. We aren't planning to sell her anytime soon but feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I also recommend the DeFever's Owners Group Forum.
20478-albums1085-picture8151.jpg

Sorry for the drift. Patrick, that location looks familiar! Photo from 2014 when we had the North Pacific 39.

Rob

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1350.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1350.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 33
We have a Defever 49 and we do love the way the boat handles. She can handle rough seas, only problem was that the admiral and our dogs could not. A Defever 49 does like to rock and roll, so keep that in mind.
Like SeaDog already stated, if you plan to go out at sea you may want to think about either finding one with stabilizers or otherwise be prepared to install them yourself. We had the bilge boards, but they did absolutely nothing, only had a bit of damping effect when we would hit the wake of another boat. But the swell and the waves.......it was rocking and rolling.
Now that we have stabilizers she is stable as a rock and we have been out in 9 Bft with heavy seas, was still stable.

For 2 persons the inside space is more than enough, 4 persons is no problem but we would have to change the interior (remove our recliners and install a U shape settee. The 2 cabins are generous, forward cabin has mattrasses of almost 7', so if you are a taller person.........that space is perfect for you. We have converted the forward cabin and the extra head in storage space since we spend a lot of time on anchor.
The best part of the boat (at least for us) is the sun deck and the fly bridge. Together it is a massive space (sun deck alone is over 250 sqf), so in the summer evenings....that is where you can find us. Access to the fly bridge and sun deck is easy via a 4 (or 5) step stairs in the pilot house.

Engine room is unfortunately not stand up, which is a pity, but still roomy enough to get everywhere with ease.
Lazarette and ER can be reached via a hatch in the cockpit. There is an extra ladder on the bulkhead between ER and master that leads up into the galley, but we never use that one, in fact we closed it off.
Our boat is powered with 2 x FL120 and that gives us a cruising speed of 6.5 kts at 1400 rpm. We could push it up to about 7.5 kts, but the extra fuel burn does not make it worth while. In fact when we shut one engine down, push the other one up to 1600 rpm we do about 5.4 kts. So 1 engine extra only brings us 1 kt in additional speed. In other words, if the weather is calm we always shut down one engine and increase our range.

Bow deck has a portugese bridge and the deck is large enough to create comfortable seating while underway (with good weather) or while on anchor (or in the marina). Can easily sit there with 6 or more persons (if you would want to).

Our boat has a bow- as well as a stern thruster, which means you can bring it into every spot you would like to.
Draught is 5' and props plus rudder are protected by the keel.
Length over the water line is 49', but overall length (swim platform to anchor) is closer to 60 - 65'. Here in Europe that is not a problem since they will charge you for what it says on the registration card. If that is a problem in the US you may want to think about it.

A Defever used to come with metal fuel tanks, but over time they would start to corrode. If that happens and you will need to exchange them..........you are not going to be happy. Basically you have to empty the complete ER, even the engines have to come out. So we were happy that work had already been done. Fuel tanks hold close to 850 gallons and when we run on 1 engine (we have velvet drives) we burn around 2 Gph with a speed of 5.4 kts. That gives us a range of about 1800 nm with 20 % reserve. On 2 engines our range drops to about 1100 nm with 20 % reserve.
Obviously when you need to run the generator that range will go down. That is why we installed a large solar array and lithium bank so we don't need to run the generator at all.

What to check when you find one ?
Check the complete wiring. Our boat was 1979 and although the surveyor said everything was fine we found out that most of the original cables needed to be replaced. So make sure you check that well. There are a lot of cables running in the cabinet on the port side of the master and the cables to the bow thruster and anchor run through the bilge, under the bed in the master (that is also where the water tanks are), so you definitely want to make sure those cables are in good condition.

Check the deck for soggy spots in the deck and leakages around the hatch to the sun deck / fly bridge.

One item we are not so happy with is the way the stern cleats must be reached. Here in the Med we always have to do stern to mooring and getting to the cleats is just not easy. You have to hang overboard to be able to feed the lines through the opening in the hull. No idea who came up with this design, but we will change it this year.

In all we love our boat, but am pretty sure other trawlers will do just as well. For us a Fleming remains our dream boat, but unfortunately far out of our reach.

Hope this back ground info helps a bit.

Rockport is only 17 nautical miles from our home port and we go there often. We were there when your beautiful boat was there last Summer and we admired it from the wharf. Hope you had a nice cruise up here.

We purchased a 2010 Defever 50 CPMY 2 years ago and love it. This model was an upgraded design of the DF 49 CPMY, also known as the 44 + 5. I believe they only made 12 starting around 2007. We have hull #4. The major differences are a wider beam, 16 vs 15, and a semi displacement hull. It is powered with twin John Deere 300hp diesels and will do 12-13kt WOT. We cruise at 8-9kts and burn 6-7 GPH. The extra foot in length makes for a larger V berth with a vanity table and a dry head with separate shower. We aren't planning to sell her anytime soon but feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I also recommend the DeFever's Owners Group Forum.
20478-albums1085-picture8151.jpg

I agree with most of the points here. We find the DeFever 44 an almost perfect cruising boat for the two of us, plus occasional overnight visitors. It punches well above its weight in terms of interior volume, exterior living space and easily managed size for docking, locking and maneuvering. At 44,000 lbs light ship and stabilized, it feel like a bigger vessel, while still fitting nicely into a 50-ft slip. We only wish it had a hinged radar arch so we could cruise the western Erie Canal and transit Lake Champlain. If you can’t find one of the larger models you’re considering, you might be surprised by the increase in useable space compared to a 41.

Attachments

• Resized_20230318_120819_47.jpg
    Resized_20230318_120819_47.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 38
Join the DeFever Cruisers Association. "For sale" boats are usually listed there before going public. You can also find fellow owners' locations, contact info, and the model of DeFever (or other) boat they own. Good luck in your search!

www DOT defevercruisers DOT com https://www.defevercruisers.com/

Back
Top Bottom