Definition of trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
Strictly speaking your description is close but even so when I learned what it really meant it was a FISHING vessel that dragged a net behind to catch fish, not a seiner, not a gill netter, not a troller and not a pleasure vessel. And YES, those trawlers almost always had full displacement hulls.

The quote above by ”C lectric” is a good one.

It is a type of commercial fishing.

Got one, leastwise recreational.

Attachments

• San Joaquin River.jpg
    San Joaquin River.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 45
It does make a difference, but it's a much smaller penalty than on a fast boat. And depending on the hull design, etc. the penalty may be more or less for a given boat.

At the risk of sounding flippant isn't that pointing out the obvious?

Has anyone simply thought of "pleasure trawlers" as "cabin cruisers"? That's what they are, so if a real trawler is converted to a pleasure boat, it becomes a "cabin cruiser," no longer a "trawler."

I'd say you could probably consider many trawlers as cabin cruisers, but not all cabin cruisers are trawlers. And the tug styled trawlers don't give me the cabin cruiser vibe either. As an example, I'd call my boat a cabin cruiser, but it's not in any way a trawler. Too light, too fast, etc.

I'd say you could probably consider many trawlers as cabin cruisers, but not all cabin cruisers are trawlers. And the tug styled trawlers don't give me the cabin cruiser vibe either. As an example, I'd call my boat a cabin cruiser, but it's not in any way a trawler. Too light, too fast, etc.

rs - I think you and I are on the same basic page... re what a "boat's" position in life connotes for its "source" naming rights and what a boat's name-type actually should be in real time for its current usage.

In that:

There are working boats... some called trawlers [as they trawl for catching seafood] and some called tugs [as they tug (tow) around floating objects] as well as other "trade names" such as ferries [because they ferry (cart) around persons/cars etc]... :ermm: :socool:

Seeing that most if not all boats on TF are for persons to have fun and enjoyment on [full time, part time or occasionally], the word "PLEASURE" stands out. Therefore "Pleasure Boat" is what I feel all fun-time boats on TF should have as an overriding handle of a primary name affixed. :D

People could specifically categorize their "Pleasure Boats" as cabin cruisers, sport fishers, motor sailers, sedans, tri cabins, ski boats, pontoon boats... even "trawlers" or "tugs" [both of which I believe, although too often used, are the least correct description of a Pleasure Boat] In Context - We on TF actually all have "Pleasure Boats"! - Period!!! :thumb:

Caveat: Fully equipped sail boats are a whole other world than power driven "Pleasure Boats" on TF. There are forums for sail boats if anyone feels so inclined to peruse. I do not! :dance:

Last edited:
Has anyone simply thought of "pleasure trawlers" as "cabin cruisers"? That's what they are, so if a real trawler is converted to a pleasure boat, it becomes a "cabin cruiser," no longer a "trawler."

Good point and very true.
They (rec trawlers) actually started as “heavy cruisers”. They were and they are. But people need new names for things as old is old who like old? People think newer things are special and older things are “ewew old”. So when things aren’t new anymore they make up a word that revives their newness. So for 10 to 20 yrs rec trawlers were called heavy cruisers. There were’nt very many of them and most were in the PNW. The boats (most designed by Ed Monk) very often made extended cruises to Alaska and looked much like a pleasure boat converted fish boat.

But they started calling them trawlers and it stuck.
Trawler is the vogue name. But the real name (almost forgotten) is “heavy cruiser”. This is why I say the most defining element of trawlerness is weight.

Last edited:
My vessel has a displacement hull, and was originally a Navy “utility boat”.
I occasionally live aboard it, and travel about, “trawler”,
But whilst doing so, I often fish, “trolling”,
Sometimes it sits for weeks at the dock while I’m at work, “dock queen”,
So what’s in a name, anyway?
Relax and enjoy your time on the water, don’t let the nomenclature get you uptight!

Only if you define a boat by its cabin and not its hull shape.

I can plonk a fiberglass Ferrari body on a land rover but it doesn't make it a sports car.

But you'd come a lot closer if you plonked a Land Rover body on a Ferrari.

Trawlers have both unique cabins and hulls.

Do you favor the voyage or the destination? If it is the destination, boats are the least cost-effective.

True, as one of the factors to be considered when selecting a boat as a transportation alternative. But one must also consider the accessibility and lodging facilities of the destination(s). The cost-effectiveness equation then may change.

My vessel has a displacement hull, and was originally a Navy “utility boat”.
I occasionally live aboard it, and travel about, “trawler”,
But whilst doing so, I often fish, “trolling”,
Sometimes it sits for weeks at the dock while I’m at work, “dock queen”,
So what’s in a name, anyway?
Relax and enjoy your time on the water, don’t let the nomenclature get you uptight!

I hate to say this because it's probably gonna start a ruckus I know but, if you have a navy utility boat then you don't have a "displacement hull", they're semi-displacement if it looks anything like this.boat-1045a.jpg

No rucks at all Fish.
You’re absolutely correct.

You can call it what you will, but lacking higher horsepower, my boat operates as a displacement hull.
Please re-read the last sentence of my last post.

You can call it what you will, but lacking higher horsepower, my boat operates as a displacement hull.
Please re-read the last sentence of my last post.

I'm very sorry but horsepower is irrelevant. You may say that you're operating in displacement mode but that doesn't mean that you have a displacement hull. Please don't make me repeat what I've repeated on here multiple times, just do a little research on your own. Also please don't take offense for my saying this but I find it difficult to comprehend how a subject so simple and elemental to the types of vessels discussed here is so poorly understood.

I'm very sorry but horsepower is irrelevant. You may say that you're operating in displacement mode but that doesn't mean that you have a displacement hull. Please don't make me repeat what I've repeated on here multiple times, just do a little research on your own. Also please don't take offense for my saying this but I find it difficult to comprehend how a subject so simple and elemental to the types of vessels discussed here is so poorly understood.

I was missing great Fish’s responses! :) I still remember displacement hull design vs speed discussion not too long ago.

kapnd,
Boats don’t “operate as a displacement hull” ... they either are or they aren’t.
What makes a hull disp or not is it’s shape. The shape controls the action of the water sliding by and releasing the water under a deeply submerged transom is not “operating” as a displacement hull would. But there’s no black and white in this matter either. Many hulls aren’t planing or full displacement hulls. For these hulls (almost certainly like yours) they are called SD or semi-displacement.
And all the drag of the submerged transom not only creates lots of drag it uses the energy lost to create lots of turbulence. The water coming out from under the FD hull resembles the water sliding by on the hull sides. Not like the wildly turbulent water jumping up and down like a crazy thing looking like it’s in a washing machine.

It’s the shape of the hull that makes it P, SD or FD.

Here’s a FD hull at hull speed. See that the transom is not submerged. And that the water just aft of the transom is not very turbulent.

Attachments

• 52E9610B-4C6D-402F-B7B8-9F0D9D8E0676.jpg
    52E9610B-4C6D-402F-B7B8-9F0D9D8E0676.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Fish...

Irrespective of the actual mathematics, angles and soft or hard shape designs that makes a boat's hull into to Full Displacement, Semi Displacement or Planing forms/shapes:

I believe it is not very important that all boaters need to have studied or even to realize the thousands of detail nuances regarding different hull types

It appears [and I hope] that most boaters realize the general difference between the three hull forms.

- Full Displacement Hull = A form that simply cannot go very fast. Actually not much faster than its "hull speed"; no matter the power supplied for forward motion. Full Displacement hull shape cannot be lifted upward onto water surface for attaining a lesser square footage of bottom contact to water and therefore be enabled to at least somewhat glide/skim over the water.

- Semi Displacement Hull = A form that incorporates attributes in its shape from both Full Displacement and Planing hull design. Semi Displacement hull offers several inviting capabilities for cruising through the water. Of those, but not limited to this are: The softness of ride from FD hill design as well as the capability of somewhat reaching increased speed realized in the P hull design.

- Planing Hull = A form that can be made to rise upward in water to the point where much of its bottom's square footage contact with water is considerably diminished and its shape brings the bottom surface into at least a somewhat skimming position over the top-edge of water surface.

There are many incrementally differing renditions available for each of the three hull designs. Hundreds of thousand boats [used and new] exist in each hull design.

I believe it is extremely important for "new to boating" people to first list the how, where, when and for what purpose they are going to use the boat they plan to purchase. This will give them a basis to understand size/layout of boat they need and the speed needed from the boat once they get it. From that basis point the new boater has lots of research, reading and boat shopping to accomplish that will lead to getting their "first" boat. :thumb:

For us "Old Salts" [of which Fish, I presume you are one!] boat/marine doings and life will go on to our end. Always learning, always watching, always wishing we knew even more! :dance:

Sorry but its time to add the true meaning of Trawler, which is a noun and trawl as a verb and noun depicting, what a trawler does in the water. I doubt that anyone on here with their plus air conditioned, generator assisted and finely polished chrome and varnished teak does a lot of trawling. . :lol: Happy New Year to one and all., Hopefully safe passages on all of your passagemakers. which we all have in one shape or the other. :thumb:

trawl

[trôl]

VERB

trawls (third person present) · trawled (past tense) · trawled (past participle) · trawling (present participle)
  1. fish with a trawl net or seine.
    "the boats trawled for flounder"
    synonyms:
    angling · trawling · catching fish

NOUN

trawls (plural noun) · trawl net (noun) · trawl nets (plural noun) · trawl line (noun) · trawl lines (plural noun)
  1. an act of fishing with a trawl net.
    "they had caught two trout on the lazy trawl"
    synonyms:
    tug · towing · haul · pull · drawing · drag · trailing

• a large wide-mouthed fishing net dragged by a vessel along the bottom or in the midwater of the sea or a lake.
  2. an act of sifting through something as part of a search.
    "a constant trawl for information" · [more]New content will be added above the current area of focus upon selection

Sorry but its time to add the true meaning of Trawler, which is a noun and trawl as a verb and noun depicting, what a trawler does in the water. I doubt that anyone on here with their plus air conditioned, generator assisted and finely polished chrome and varnished teak does a lot of trawling. . :lol: Happy New Year to one and all., Hopefully safe passages on all of your passagemakers. which we all have in one shape or the other. :thumb:

The base word of most importance here is "trawl" which while a verb is most of all a type of net, a net which while can and does get used by non-trawler type boats in a limited way is most correctly used by a vessel called a trawler.

21765245_1666684776709368_6746587057555091019_n.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH] Incidentally these are all trawlers I used to operate and the smaller one I owned.

I was missing great Fish’s responses! :) I still remember displacement hull design vs speed discussion not too long ago.

Thank you Dan, I know full well that I'm a dick sometimes and also sometimes caustic, opinionated and even on occasion insulting, but also quite frequently about maritime matters I'm correct. If one is able to separate the unpleasant writer from the information there exists a chance to learn something. Take the value and leave the rest. I've always appreciated your ability to do both, good sailing.

Fish...

Irrespective of the actual mathematics, angles and soft or hard shape designs that makes a boat's hull into to Full Displacement, Semi Displacement or Planing forms/shapes:

I believe it is not very important that all boaters need to have studied or even to realize the thousands of detail nuances regarding different hull types

It appears [and I hope] that most boaters realize the general difference between the three hull forms.

- Full Displacement Hull = A form that simply cannot go very fast. Actually not much faster than its "hull speed"; no matter the power supplied for forward motion. Full Displacement hull shape cannot be lifted upward onto water surface for attaining a lesser square footage of bottom contact to water and therefore be enabled to at least somewhat glide/skim over the water.

- Semi Displacement Hull = A form that incorporates attributes in its shape from both Full Displacement and Planing hull design. Semi Displacement hull offers several inviting capabilities for cruising through the water. Of those, but not limited to this are: The softness of ride from FD hill design as well as the capability of somewhat reaching increased speed realized in the P hull design.

- Planing Hull = A form that can be made to rise upward in water to the point where much of its bottom's square footage contact with water is considerably diminished and its shape brings the bottom surface into at least a somewhat skimming position over the top-edge of water surface.

There are many incrementally differing renditions available for each of the three hull designs. Hundreds of thousand boats [used and new] exist in each hull design.

I believe it is extremely important for "new to boating" people to first list the how, where, when and for what purpose they are going to use the boat they plan to purchase. This will give them a basis to understand size/layout of boat they need and the speed needed from the boat once they get it. From that basis point the new boater has lots of research, reading and boat shopping to accomplish that will lead to getting their "first" boat. :thumb:

For us "Old Salts" [of which Fish, I presume you are one!] boat/marine doings and life will go on to our end. Always learning, always watching, always wishing we knew even more! :dance:

Thanks, I suppose I am one having spent my entire life so far going to sea. One of the great things about boats and the marine environment is that there's always something new to learn, some new horizon for which to strive toward. I greatly enjoy many of the discussions we've had on this site and the good people I've engaged with, although I realize at times the appreciation wasn't reciprocal.
I take going out away from land any distance onboard any vessel as a serious undertaking. One that while immensely rewarding also contains an element of risk. This is probably why I suffer at hearing folks labor under misconceptions and self imposed ignorance. Some issues such as the one we're engaged in on this thread may appear of little importance yet to me they represent a portion of the basis of understanding a vessels ability to perform a certain task and what it's limitations may be beyond that task.

I appreciate your in depth presentation above and I hope some read it and investigate it further. You and I are out there on the water too and I would wish that most others out there took the activity as seriously as we do.

Thank you Dan, I know full well that I'm a dick sometimes and also sometimes caustic, opinionated and even on occasion insulting, but also quite frequently about maritime matters I'm correct. If one is able to separate the unpleasant writer from the information there exists a chance to learn something. Take the value and leave the rest. I've always appreciated your ability to do both, good sailing.

Good times, I’ll take your sometimes caustic but knowledgeable comments over 1000 others. Keep it up mate!

The base word of most importance here is "trawl" which while a verb is most of all a type of net, a net which while can and does get used by non-trawler type boats in a limited way is most correctly used by a vessel called a trawler.

Last edited:

Precisely why I keep this old spool of trawl net on my boat-deck stern rail. At any moment, I could fend off Forum critics by dispatching the net, reaping the ocean’s treasures while lesser-equipped pleasure cruisers look on in envy. True, our experienced watermen here could declare that without bait and engine-driven accessories, my net may be short and my catch minuscule, but I can still trawl.

Attachments

• 8D5289EC-A843-4ED6-9BA9-4CDC3CF52F58.jpeg
    8D5289EC-A843-4ED6-9BA9-4CDC3CF52F58.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 34
Here are a couple of trawlers (shrimp).....

Attachments

• p1377021970495082.jpg
    p1377021970495082.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 52
  • p15221815426623120.jpg
    p15221815426623120.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 36
Hell, one Nordic Tug 26 was set up as a seiner and another as a troller.

I've seen a commercial Ranger Tug with outriggers and gurnies in Tofino. So it is technically a troller.

Of course in BC, they would be called "fishboats" anyways. Which, although simple, is descriptive.

I call my boat, a boat.

Last edited:
Wood and date go together well.

giphy.gif

Definition of a trawler.
"A slow boat with square windows"

I like this ^^

A trawler is a slow speed cruising power boat, that you will easily recognize from its salty rugged good looks, and won't be confused with the rest of the seemingly high speed, fair weather, Clorox bottles tied to the dock.

Ted

This is usually what I say to anyone who asks, but outside of this forum, I'm not sure that's happened more than once or twice. People tend to know what it means, even if it's technically incorrect.

When someone asks how fast your boat is, you tell them, and they reply "Is that all?"; you might have a trawler.

lol, they're always so disappointed...

Date wood. Marry fibreglass.

Or, if you feel like being different, marry aluminum. Your cool relatives will be fine with it and your friends will support you, and really most people won't care, but secretly your dad will always hope that you come to your senses and find a nice fiberglass girl to settle down with.

I call my boat, a boat.

I had all sorts of names for my last boat. Very few of them were flattering. I'm trying to be nicer to this one to keep up the good karma, lol.

How many times I gotta tell ya!!! We nearly ALL on TF have a....

Pleasure Boat!

Pleasure Boat!

Pleasure Boat!

Geeezzzzz - :speed boat: :dance:

Back
Top Bottom