Depowering a Turbo DD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Add the word 'process'...we can have word salad for lunch lol!

If this question has already been addressed my bad for not finding the thread. My question is this: Am looking at a boat withe DD 671 TI 485HP
This feels like way more power than needed and the fuel consumption at optimal efficiency (I'm informed) is 12.5 gph. Is there a simple way to drop some HP and fuel consumption by changing injectors and eliminating the turbo? Seems like i might reduce maintenance and increase longevity but that might just be more wishful thinking. Any experienced insights in this regard? Thanking you in advance for your time.

I would change the pitch of the props to maintain the full rpm range of the engine. Work with a prop shop to say set the max consumed hp at max rpm to 350hp. As a guide 5 gal/hr = 100hp. 350hp would be 17.5 gal/hr rather than 24.2 gal/hr at 485hp. If you operate at displacement speeds your consumption will be much lower. With lower pitch props the rpm will be higher at say 9 knots than with the existing props. Unloading the engine should give better service life.

Back
Top Bottom