Detroit Diesels 8.2 litre FWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Detroit Diesel expert in San Diego CA

My Roughwater 41 has an 8.2DD that is in great shape due to
Craig Stange- known expert on Detroits located in San Diego, CA
(619) 392-1141. He has trained a mechanic for these old beasts. Craig is a tireless encyclopedia of Detroits with a full array of resources and people to build/rebuild parts, i.e. turbo, heat exchangers, etc.

My Roughwater 41 has an 8.2DD that is in great shape due to
Craig Stange- known expert on Detroits located in San Diego, CA
(619) 392-1141. He has trained a mechanic for these old beasts. Craig is a tireless encyclopedia of Detroits with a full array of resources and people to build/rebuild parts, i.e. turbo, heat exchangers, etc.

That is fine IF you have an experienced DD 8.2 mechanic close by. Most people do not have that luxury.

While I have never owned one of these engines it strikes me that if they are truly a good engine they would have had a much longer production run. When an engine manufacturer kills off an engine after a short run it says something.

I think that the horrid performance of the 8.2 in trucks and the brutal losses due to warranties did them in. That said, the entire last year of the production was just blocks and heads for warranty replacements. if memory services it was like 200K units...

I think that the horrid performance of the 8.2 in trucks and the brutal losses due to warranties did them in. That said, the entire last year of the production was just blocks and heads for warranty replacements. if memory services it was like 200K units...

And that is why they have such a bad reputation. They earned it. Not to say that someone shouldn’t buy them in a boat, just be knowable as to what may happen. We had one boat with Volvos in it and I will never own another boat with Volvos.

I swapped for two RTO Cummins and they are a joy. I get the same or better fuel economy,faster and they are probably half as loud. They are also easy to service compared to the DDs. My engine rooms seems down right spacious after getting rid of the DDs.

Which Cummins? 5.9L B's? If so, I'd guess the difference in displacement could easily account for the additional space...

-Chris

A straight 6 vs a V8 accounts for seemingly more space. Then one vs two on exhaust side is additional space savings. A pair of Cat 3208s vs a pair of 5.9s makes for a very different ER space.

Last edited:
A straight 6 vs a V8 accounts for seemingly more space. Then one vs two on exhaust side is additional space savings. A pair of Cat 3208s vs a pair of 5.9s makes for a very different ER space.

Good point about that whole V thing. Our current V engines do create some major engine room clutter.

-Chris

V blocks are wider, but compared to a crossflow inline (where you've got manifolds and such on both sides), it's not a massive difference for engines of similar displacement. It's enough to make an already tight engine room worse, but if the engine room gives plenty of space then it's no big deal.

Even my 6CTAs seem smaller than 3208s. My engine room would be a disaster with 3208s in it…

Even my 6CTAs seem smaller than 3208s. My engine room would be a disaster with 3208s in it…

Being a 10.4 liter V block, the 3208 is particularly large for its power output compared to a lot of other marine diesels. It's not much heavier than a 6CTA, although the higher output C series Cummins does make more power than a 3208.

I replaced the 8.2s in our boat for some of the reasons stated above but mostly because NO ONE would service them! They were due for a vlave adjustment and I have the magnetic gauge to do it but in a very tight engine compartment barring them over 8 times was not going to happen solo.
It is also almost impossible to source a lot of the parts. Mostly the marine parts but even the thorttle bodies and goveners.
I swapped for two RTO Cummins and they are a joy. I get the same or better fuel economy,faster and they are probably half as loud. They are also easy to service compared to the DDs. My engine rooms seems down right spacious after getting rid of the DDs. That said, the DDs were still running in my boat and had 2,400 hours.

Where did you source the rto Cummins?
How much did the project cost?

Where did you source the rto Cummins?
How much did the project cost?
There is a thread in the Power Systems section where I document the process. If you search "Repower Update" it should come up.

I replaced the 8.2s in our boat for some of the reasons stated above...

I swapped for two RTO Cummins and they are a joy. I get the same or better fuel economy,faster and they are probably half as loud.

Very nice.

Noise. That's about the only thing I really dreaded about my Jimmies. If I were going into my engine room for more than a quick check, then I'd have to put foam earplugs on underneath my earmuffs. Over a period of a week at sea I would find myself suffering noise fatigue (yes I had poor sound insulation in the boat).

Was always jealous when I heard my neighbor come into his slip with those nearly-silent 6b Cummins.

Back
Top Bottom