diesel pickup tubes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Brockerts

Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
1990 Californian/Carver 48 MY
Installing new diesel tanks with new pickup tubes. Do the new pickup tubes need an anti-siphon device on them? Seem to me they might cause more problems than they solve. However if I need them, would you put it on the end of the tube that is near the bottom of the tank?

I have shut offs on the lines leaving the tank so I can easily close off the fuel if needed.

Joe

When repairing the fuel tanks on the green boat I bought 3/8" brass tubes, 1/2 x 3/8 MIP bushings and 3/8" hose x 3/8" NPT fittings at the hardware store.

The brass tubes were cut at an angle and within 1/2" of the bottom of the tank. Tubes were then brazed to the bushings. The 3/8 NPT x 3/8 hose fitting was then screwed into the bushing sealed with Loctite 745. Used 3/8" rubber fuel line to the lift pump.

The above was for a Perkins 6-354T 165 HP. Worked great.

Rob

I am not sure about diesel but it looks pretty clear on a gas tank one is needed. I couldn’t find anything specific that says not needed on diesel though. I would check more to be sure.

FEDERAL LAW

183.568 - Anti-siphon protection

Each fuel line from the fuel tank to the fuel inlet connection on the carburetor must:

(a) Be above the level of the tank top; or
(b) Have an anti-siphon device or an electrically operated fuel stop valve:

(1) At the tank withdrawal fitting; or
(2) Installed so the line from the fuel tank is above the top of the tank; or

(c) Provided that the fuel tank top is below the level of the carburetor inlet, be metallic fuel lines meeting the construction requirements of Sec. 183.538 or "USCG Type A1" hose, with one or two manual shutoff valves installed as follows:

(1) Directly at the fuel tank connection arranged to be readily accessible for operation from outside the compartment, and
(2) If the length of fuel line from the tank outlet to the engine inlet is greater than 12 feet, a manual shutoff valve shall be installed at the fuel inlet connection to the engine.

Installing new diesel tanks with new pickup tubes. Do the new pickup tubes need an anti-siphon device on them? Seem to me they might cause more problems than they solve. However if I need them, would you put it on the end of the tube that is near the bottom of the tank?

I have shut offs on the lines leaving the tank so I can easily close off the fuel if needed.

Joe
Not required with diesel, in fact it would introduce air to the fuel if before the
primary fuel pump and never open if after the fuel pump unless it failed open.

Are your new tanks built yet?
If not, you should consider adding a sump with a drain fitting to each tank.
If not, place the dip tubes as close to the bottom of the tank as possible, so that any any water or debris can be dealt with by your filters, and not become permanent residents in your tanks.
No anti siphon device needed for diesel fuel.

Back
Top Bottom