DirecTV and KVH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeez, when I think of the time, effort and money you have put into this system....could of bought a ton of good cigars and great Scotch. Hope it eventually works.

As long as we're on a humour streak here, a friend of John Lee Hooker was showing him his new and very expensive guitar amp. Johnny Lee looked at it for a minute and asked if his friend considered himself to be a blues man. The friend snorted and said that of course he was a blues man. To which Hooker said, "well if you are a blues man, do you know how many hoes and how much whiskey you could have bought with that money?"

So to close this out. We left the dock, fid an immediate 180 and the new TV6 operated as advertised. We have a good working system.

Well spoke a little too soon. The QC process seem to fail to some degree at KVH.

After doing some software updating, the tech could not figure out why it was not turning properly. He told me I would need a new unit.

KVH sales calls me and requires a $6K core charge. The money would be returned when they received the old antenna. At this point I demanded to talk to a supervisor.

Ed, the supervisor of tech support, called me and asked if he could help me figure it out if I was comfortable removing the dome. We did a few test. He had me remove the mounting plate for the limit switch. mmmmm This fiber washer isn't suppose to be here. Removed it, flipped the limit switch, put it back together.

Been working great so far. It tracks all the way up the river.

So the saga continues....

KVH Saga

2 years later what’s your report? My M5 just went down and tech says need to replace LNB to start… Also says the systems dead, while in the same breath that it may be his laptop doesn’t have the right drivers… Ugh.

Powered up the system searches and seems to lock towards 101, but no signal

I’m hearing the price of satellite bidirectional communications has been dropping, providing the ability to watch everything I’ve on the home account, but haven’t dug into it yet.

Before digging into this 15 year old unit and going through the same you have. What would you do in retrospect?

Yep, Starlink changed everything.

No need for cable TV subscription.

You just need a rokyu or apple TV box or equlivent
With Starlink, you don't even need a Rokyu or Apple TV box. A simple YouTube TV subscription ($65/month) will do it. By the way, YTTV is the only streaming service that includes public televsion.

Back
Top Bottom