Do we belong here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bel

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Jac
Vessel Make
Davies 54
Hi,

Our new trawler is a Davis 54, which I understand to be built in 1979 in Taiwan under American design.
I've had no luck finding out much but I understand they might have been called Westlake as well?
Looking to link up with other owners if possible.

Attachments

• Sea Jac kids.jpg
    Sea Jac kids.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 184
No way! You are too young, your boat is all white, you have a flybridge, and probably have twin engines too! :eek:

Attachments

• friends looking at sp trains.jpg
    friends looking at sp trains.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Teenagers aren't ours thankfully. We only have two!

Welcome. Close enough, our boat isn't trawler-ish either, even by a long shot. Also big and white. This is a great forum, more good natured than most (on balance, in my opinion) and lots of highly knowledgeable members who are very helpful. I've lost count of how many headaches this forum has solved for me.

Thanks, its hard when we have such an unusual boat. I saw someone say they only made 12 of the 54 foot Davis models so there probably aren't many still around!
Such clever people on this site.

Sure, you belong here. We welcome all types of boats. I used to have a trawler but now I have an express cruiser. Welcome and how about more photos of your beautiful boat?

If you don't belong on the Trawler Forum, then I most certainly do not!

You clearly know what you are about since you posted a photo first thing.:)

Way too many teenagers. Like herding noisy cats.

Welcome! Ask any question... before long you will likely get more answers that you have time to read.

"Search" feature [right side, top of page] can find just about anything for ya.

Enjoy!

Art

Certainly you belong here, at least as much as WE do. Where is Wellington? Welcome to the forum!

Certainly you belong here, at least as much as WE do. Where is Wellington? Welcome to the forum!
Their other thread is "Joining You From New Zealand".
Wellington is the Capital City of NZ, situated on the north island. The southern island has the stunning alpine features, the north has the beautiful "Bay of Islands". Among many other attractions. Just 3 hours from Australia "across the ditch" (pronounced "dutch" by some NZers),aka The Tasman Sea.

That has been the challenge for the Russian submarines.
They have been 'held down' for more than a week before 'let go'

Just don't expect any consensus on anchors. Or apparently welding. Or whether distilled water in flooded lead acid batteries is mandatory. Or electric outboard motors. Or boat pricing and market trends. Or "hull speed." Or... Even so, you'll learn a ton! It's getting to be an addiction, I need to moderate my TF time.

Welcome, your boat looks very similar tp a Defever design. Probably beautiful woodwork inside with Lehmans ?

Thanks, its hard when we have such an unusual boat. I saw someone say they only made 12 of the 54 foot Davis models so there probably aren't many still around!
Such clever people on this site.
Actually, the boat yours reminds me of most is a sort of stretched Blue Seas 36, which is definitely a Taiwanese built boat, so yes, absolutely your belong here, not only on TF, but right here in under Taiwanese Makes..! ☝️?

Get your HIN and begin your search. Should be interesting

Of Course You Belong Here

Hi,

Our new trawler is a Davis 54, which I understand to be built in 1979 in Taiwan under American design.
I've had no luck finding out much but I understand they might have been called Westlake as well?

From my memory, we had a Davis 36 listed years ago. At the time, I learned that a person named Davis from Seattle had them built under contract in Taiwan. They were also called Westlake because his office was located on Westlake Avenue on Lake Union.

More information from a 2010 post on this forum:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s10/westlake-trawler-3111.html

Hi,

Very nice boat !! You are most welcome ! You are in the perfect place.

Your beautiful boat looks strikingly similar to our Cheoy Lee 46, and is very much a great fit for this forum! Pic is fellow TFer and CL46 owner Island Sunset in the foreground, and our Traveler in her slip in the background.

Attachments

• IMG_8100.jpg
    IMG_8100.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 43
I looked at buying this boat

Hi I looked at this boat over lockdown as have had a few similar ,
Good luck with it , goes well just check the deck on it .

!

Hi,

Of course you belong here! I have a 1979 42' Universal Marine, Europa, twin Lehmans, manufacturer Universal Yachts, Taiwan - pretty much the twin of the 1979 GB Europa (the 1st year of production), I haven't been able to find much but I think that Universal Marine is closely associated with CHB through Marine Trader. I've heard that a lot of the GB design specs may have been shared - heck they were probably using the same labor force in the shipyards.

Welcome to the TF! You'll be able to fall down many rabbit-holes of knowledge!

I have read that back in the day in Taiwan they would roll the molds from one boat down the street to a different builder so they could layup a hull. Maybe that is why there are different brands of boats that look so similar???

Of course you belong here! I have a 1979 42' Universal Marine, Europa, twin Lehmans, manufacturer Universal Yachts, Taiwan - pretty much the twin of the 1979 GB Europa (the 1st year of production), I haven't been able to find much but I think that Universal Marine is closely associated with CHB through Marine Trader. I've heard that a lot of the GB design specs may have been shared - heck they were probably using the same labor force in the shipyards.

Welcome to the TF! You'll be able to fall down many rabbit-holes of knowledge!

A close look at your Universal and any other Taiwanese will show many similarities, but not to any GB. Those were not Taiwan built, but were built in Singapore. The first giveaway is the much wider side decks, and narrower cabins on the GB. Second is the almost plumb bow, where all the Taiwanese built boats have some flare.

For a summary of similarities and differences, Passagemaker Mag had an article by Jim Lane (RIP) published in 1998 or so, that should be in our archives.

Grand Banks often copied, never duplicated.

The CHB stood out around here for a while as a popular boat. Makes me wonder if it was the clone of the other Taiwan boats.
Have to look for that Passagemaker article

Back
Top Bottom