Dog crates on boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are your dogs truly happy in their crates or are they just obedient?

Maybe the answer is how they act when released.

On the other hand, I think crates would be ok for kids.

I think our dog is truly happy. On the rare occasions we actually close him into the crate, sometimes he's happy to be let out, other times he considers it an interruption to his nap, acknowledges us and goes right back to sleep still in the crate despite the door being open. He doesn't sleep in his crate regularly anymore, but he does sometimes. He considers it a safe, happy place as far as we can tell. It probably helps that his crate at home is rather oversized, as he can stand in it as well as lay down stretched out in it (and could do most of that with a second dog in there with him).

For the most part, how a dog reacts to a crate depends on the dog's personality, but also how they were trained as a puppy. If they were trained that a crate is a safe bed (and not a punishment), they'll generally like the crate.

My kids were not always happy to go to their cribs, but we couldn't leave them to crawl around the house while we tried to sleep.

Our dog was crate trained from a very young age and here crate was her place! All we had to say was Abby's place and she would go in. She felt safe there.

When she got older from a a puppy she would go in on her own or when directed and stay with the door open. It was behind a couch in our family room.

We never crated her on our boat because even at a 36' a crate for a 50 lb dog takes a lot of space.

Trust me she always found her place of comfort and it was usually near one of the family. She did not tear things up because like at home she had a few boat toys that were all her own.

I am sure you and the dog will figure it out!

OK, is anyone left who only crates their dog. Sometimes and with door open is not where I thought this thread was headed.
You know along the theme of chained junkyard dogs we hear about, the unloved dogs.

OK, is anyone left who only crates their dog. Sometimes and with door open is not where I thought this thread was headed.
You know along the theme of chained junkyard dogs we hear about, the unloved dogs.

First off who is going to admit that they mistreat their “unloved” dog? And second if they do admit that then they should be forced to be crated with the dog.

My dog sleeps in a crate, with the door closed, every night, on the boat and at home. She goes in willingly.

She receives more love and attention than many children. You'd have a hard time convincing me that crating a dog is inhuman.

I've had dogs that wedged themselves behind the sofa when they wanted to nap.

I had another dog that slept outside most of the time. Her dog house, which we kept on the back porch, was no larger than a dog crate. The dog went into the dog house every night, on her own. Obviously she felt secure and comfortable in the dog house.

When I first moved onto boat, I always crated my Yorkie.He was used to it though I was using it less and less at the house. He loved it. As time progressed I didn’t use it every time when I left, it kept the door open and would come back to,the boat and he was inside the crate sleeping. He had food and water and a pad in the back of it in case he had relieve himself. Had good neighbors on the dock, so if anything happened, they knew to get the dog off the boat

We have had dogs aboard for over 45 years--mostly labs, which were never crated. This included trans Atlantic Voyages, and many thousands of miles.

As we aged we got a smaller dog--and for the last 10 years have had miniature poodles (15 to 20#, and 15 or so inches high). Our current 2 year old has been crate trained from the beginning. We have the same folding crate we use in the car, or RV on the boat. It folds down to about 4" thick and 24 x 30" during the day. Our pup loves her crate, and we leave her in it on the boat or RV--but so that she can get out if necessary.

I do think the crate is a very good idea for the boat. Go with it.

Dog crate

We’ve used a crate with our 16 year old dog for years. She’s very comfortable in there. We recently got 2 puppies and they will also be crated. Far better than allowing them the ability to roam around and get into mischief. I do believe most dogs like being in a crate as long as you don’t confine them too long. It’s very distressing to force a dog to mess in their own bed.

Dog Crate/Coffee Table

We’ve found that not only does our 20 pound terrier enjoy her crate we also find that it makes a nice coffee table.

We've done both. Whatever works, works. The crate is not cruel. It's not jail. For some it's their happy, secure place. I only wish I'd known earlier about the calming treats with tryptophan for long passages. Over time, as the pup gets used to the boat you can reassess if need be.

Just saw a post on Trawler Life on Facebook with some chewed up upholstery . A compelling reason to crate. We crated all of our many dogs until they matured whenever we left them.

I have not seen crating of dogs in Australia, voluntary or otherwise, on boats or in homes. Surprised it is so popular and commonplace in USA.
I saw it once in a Philippines visit. The Labrador dog belonged to my partners brother, a pet, not a potential meal. I was shocked to see it. Immediately I made voice/eye contact, it was desperate to be out of the crate. I felt very sorry for it, still cannot erase the memory. Later it died of chocolate poisoning, a misguided treat.

My dog has free roam of the boat, when underway, she wears a life vest. She also goes everywhere with me when I go onshore. With that said, crates are great if you're not able to bring the pup with you when you're off the boat, especially if he decides he's bored when alone on the boat.

I have not seen crating of dogs in Australia, voluntary or otherwise, on boats or in homes. Surprised it is so popular and commonplace in USA.
I saw it once in a Philippines visit. The Labrador dog belonged to my partners brother, a pet, not a potential meal. I was shocked to see it. Immediately I made voice/eye contact, it was desperate to be out of the crate. I felt very sorry for it, still cannot erase the memory. Later it died of chocolate poisoning, a misguided treat.

It's common in the US when training young dogs. It varies a lot once the dogs grow up. Some ditch the crate as they get older, others keep it. It just depends on the owners and the dog's personality.

My dog gets crated every night and when we are out of the house. She is happy to go in and sometimes she needs convincing to get out. I just ordered her boat crate so I can start getting her used to it. Her house crate is too big for the boat.

Is it common to drive your kids to school, we may be on to something.

Our 47 lb Border Heeler LOVES her crate. We trained her from puppy. It’s a safe place for her to sleep and eat. We keep it in the forward cabin. It’s collapsible if necessary. We leave it open and when we’re gone during the day she will go in and sleep there all day until we return. Otherwise, she likes to be by our side all the time. ? Dogs love a place to call their own.

Back
Top Bottom