Dripless shaft log, dripping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RickyD

Guru
Vessel Name
Aquarius
Vessel Make
Californian 55 CPMY
My stbd dripless was dripping. On further analysis it looks like the housing that the shaft goes through is no longer completely sealed and is oozing water at a very slow rate. Signs of corrosion and salt on the bolts is becoming pronounced when compared to the port side. Also, watching it at 10 knots there is a very very small wobble not seen on the port side. All systems are cool to the touch. A little warmer than the shaft but with only a couple degrees warmer. I'm preparing for a scheduled haul out anyway. Cutlass bearings will be checked. That sealed area must be resealed. What comments might you have on this? I have no experience in this area.

RickyD, posted on the "other' thread:
If your shaft seal looks like the ones on this site PYI Inc. | PSS Shaft Seal, it is a PSS seal. The bellows is a maintenance item and should be replaced every 6 years if the regular seal, or every 10 years if it is the new improved version. This is manufacturer's recommendations. I am no expert on insurance (and the application of that type of law), but I would suggest that an insurer may not cover water damage caused by a failed, outdated seal???? Not something I would chance.
To replace this seal, the boat must be hauled, and the shaft disconnected and slid back allowing for removal and reinstallation. To my thinking, why not remove the shaft and change out the cutlass bearing as well, especially if it is the 10 year mark, as you would be almost there labour wise anyway?
These bellows provide the compression (springiness) to "make the seal", and over time lose this springiness as well as the fact that the rubber can deteriorate, especially if exposed to oils and fuels. If your leak is not the seal itself, then additional repairs to the stern tube will be required and removal of the seal would probably be necessary anyway for that.
Good luck

If it is the stern tube or other fibreglass that is leaking, that could be a bigger problem and in my opinion, would require consulting a local "expert".

The "housing" suggests that the oozing part is boat structure and would require a haul out and structural repair by pros.

RickyD, posted on the "other' thread:
If your shaft seal looks like the ones on this site PYI Inc. | PSS Shaft Seal, it is a PSS seal. The bellows is a maintenance item and should be replaced every 6 years if the regular seal, or every 10 years if it is the new improved version. This is manufacturer's recommendations. I am no expert on insurance (and the application of that type of law), but I would suggest that an insurer may not cover water damage caused by a failed, outdated seal???? Not something I would chance.
To replace this seal, the boat must be hauled, and the shaft disconnected and slid back allowing for removal and reinstallation. To my thinking, why not remove the shaft and change out the cutlass bearing as well, especially if it is the 10 year mark, as you would be almost there labour wise anyway?
These bellows provide the compression (springiness) to "make the seal", and over time lose this springiness as well as the fact that the rubber can deteriorate, especially if exposed to oils and fuels. If your leak is not the seal itself, then additional repairs to the stern tube will be required and removal of the seal would probably be necessary anyway for that.
Good luck

If it is the stern tube or other fibreglass that is leaking, that could be a bigger problem and in my opinion, would require consulting a local "expert".

Sorry all for the double posting. The dripless seal is still sealed. The bellows are intact. I don't know how old these seals are as I've only owned the boat for three years. Haul out planned for Sept. Thank you all for your input. Its now something else I've learned about boats. I didn't get to the boat yesterday. Maybe today.

Ok, update. On the port side the shaft tube has seen extra sealant which is not evident on the stb side. Port side is dry but now I see that the shaft seal is starting to fail. The dreaded black line. So I have purchased two new shaft seals and I'll have the yard seal the stb shaft tube. Of course cutlass bearings will be checked. Hey, its only money!!:banghead:

Sounds like a plan Ricky. However, if it were my boat, and it is a 1991 and I did not know when or even if the cutlass bearings were replaced, being as you would be more than half way labour wise with your planned maintenance, I would just have them on hand and replace the cutlass bearings. The bearings themselves are not that expensive (boat expense wise) and you are already a long way (labour wise) towards the full replacement anyways. If these are PSS/PYI shaft seals, I would also go for the "pro" upgrade (10 year model). They don't cost that much more, and the labour is the real cost. JMHO.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom