Duel Morse controls single screw problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamliving

Vessel Make
Marine trader 33
So I just realized that the upper helm controls on my boat do not work properly…the throttle seems to work fine but the gear will only go in forward if in reverse but once in forward will not go into reversed. The lever just moves almost freely but you can see it moving the cable. Someone please help me figure this out…thanks

Have you taken it apart yet? I took my upper controls apart and cleaned and lubed them and made sure everything moved freely when I had a hard time shifting out of forward once.

Well not yet because I wanted to narrow down the problem to the upper helm or lower. Maybe I should take apart the bottom controls to see what’s going on there

Well not yet because I wanted to narrow down the problem to the upper helm or lower. Maybe I should take apart the bottom controls to see what’s going on there

That's what I did. Coming out of winter storage one of the upper helm shift levers was so stiff I was afraid of breaking something. Lower lever was a little better but still very stiff. These controls have two cable connections each, on the lower control the cable from the upper connects to one side and the cable to the trans is on the other. In effect moving the upper helm lever moves the lower helm lever which moves the lever on the trans. To diagnose I first disconnected the upper cable at the lower lever. That lever then worked perfectly and the upper was still stiff. I then disconnected the cable from the upper lever and that lever then moved freely. Bingo, the problem was the upper shift cable. I replaced both (twin engine) and now both work freely. The throttles are a just little stiff, I'll replace those next. I think the PO replaced all four lower control cables, they look newer.

Last edited:
I'll suggest 2 things to be aware of. The linkage on the controls wears out causing a little slop. Also, over time, the cables will stretch a bit. Not necessarily the jacket but the core. Those two things will have an effect on the shifting. Not the throttle because a few sixteenths of an inch play is insignificant but with a clutch, it makes a difference if everything isn't adjusted properly.

I had a similar problems and after fixing it the first time it stopped operating for a different reason(s). It works now

I have 2 stations, upper and lower.

1) Took boat out and lost reverse from upper station. Turned out the lower station forward/reverse cable where it attaches to tranny was bent when the mechanic stepped on it while working on engine and put enough bend in the cable to render it immovable from the upper station. Replaced the cable from lower station to tranny, worked great from both stations.
2) Worked great for a few weeks and started binding (shift lever wouldn’t move past a certain point for reverse) in reverse again from upper station. This time the problem was created when the mechanic didn't adjust the cable correctly AND when the shift assembly was reattached the original screw holes were not used and that shifted the levers enough to stop the full throw of the shifter as the lever now scuffed against the side of the dash mount. Adjusted the cable and shifter on the lower station and worked great.
3) Using the boat and reverse stopped working again from the upper station. This time the problem was when we were working in the salon, some books were moved and were placed where the shift lever position for reverse was.....moved the dang books!

Short story long, one 15ft shift cable fixed the original problem of not being able to shift in reverse. The upper station being connected to the lower via cable just didn't have the oomph to move the lower/primary control when it was binding for the various screw-ups I mentioned.

Last edited:
I got the upper station apart and this is what I find…I am assuming this piece should not be separated from the other part. This was connected to the shift lever and the other end was in the jacket I guess you would say…looks like a new cable is needed

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 38
So basically because it wasn’t attached it would push the cable down (forward position) but wouldn’t let it pull back because piece above would just slide up

I got the upper station apart and this is what I find…I am assuming this piece should not be separated from the other part. This was connected to the shift lever and the other end was in the jacket I guess you would say…looks like a new cable is needed

That'll do it! Maybe it's time to replace the other cables too. I've never heard of anything good happening due to a broken control cable...

In reading this I am reminded that ALL system, whether mechanical or electrical, are subject to failure. A lot of people poo-poo electric controls of gears, throttles, and fuel injections saying they are unreliable. Just read this thread, and those outlining other mechanical failures of such system and you will think otherwise. The grass isn't greener.

Yeah Boomerang ask me how we found out it was broke? Went to move it out of the dock…if I would’ve been alone it could’ve been bad. Anyhow I plan on replacing all of them because if one can go bad they all can. Piece of mind insurance i guess you can say

In reading this I am reminded that ALL system, whether mechanical or electrical, are subject to failure. A lot of people poo-poo electric controls of gears, throttles, and fuel injections saying they are unreliable. Just read this thread, and those outlining other mechanical failures of such system and you will think otherwise. The grass isn't greener.

Fly-by-wire is proven technology if for no other reason but there are physical constraints in how long a control cable can be.

Story: I have a friend who survived not one but two airplane crashes, one was a small acrobatic plane he had in Alaska. He had recently purchased it when he suddenly lost control of one of the flaps and crashed hard - I saw pictures and there was nothing that would not fit through a standard house window. How he survived I'll never know. The previous owner had replaced a sealed battery with a standard lead acid and when the plane did hard maneuvers, the acid leaked onto a cable and eventually weakened it to the point of breaking. Only a hunch, but I'll bet many WW2 era planes with cable controls were lost that way.

That said, given my mechanical skills are only slightly above average I find comfort in simple mechanical linkages vs servo motors. As I mentioned in another thread, a friend with a 2014 build with ZF controllers had a failure due to moisture intrusion into the shift controller. That's inexcusable for a boat given a large percentage are installed in exposed locations. I would highly recommend looking at the IP rating of any part of the system.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom