Duracell batteries suck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Duracell leakers

I too have had Duracell batteries leak and ruin some good stuff. For example, these leakers ruined a nice Fenix LED flashlight, a remote control for my TV and several other items.

Since Warren Buffet owns this company, I sent him an email telling him about what I view as their quality problems...of course I heard nothing back.

I am told Duracell makes the Costco batteries but I have not verified this.

However, NEVER wil a Duracell battery enter my life again.

Guess I have been lucky with the last several years of Duracells.

Have had issues with Eveready and others through the years too..... so hard to condemn one brand.

today, my bike light had a leaky bunny aaa. I caught it just in time....

exp date 12 2031

A few years ago, i came across an old VOM with a D cell inside. At least 30 years old Burgess with zero leakage, zero corrosion and zero voltage. [emoji3]

I came across this on Quora written by David F Bishop
“ Why can't Duracell or other battery companies make a battery that does not leak in time? Further, why do they leak? I have had so many devices ruined by leaking batteries!
Before the turn of the century, my Duracell AA batteries seldom leaked. Since then, almost all of them eventually leak – some before use, some during use, and many if left in a device that slowly leaks current. I switched to Costco Kirkland batteries after they received a good rating from Consumer Reports, but now, two years later, many of these are also leaking towards the end of their discharge period. After much research, it seems that the main reason for alkaline battery leakage is the removal of mercury from alkaline batteries in 1996. It turns out that mercury forms an amalgam film with zinc, prolonging battery storage life, and reducing leakage (See Wikipedia). I am now considering switching to NIMH rechargeable batteries, as users indicate they leak much less.

Here is an excerpt from a science magazine (Technology: Dead batteries no longer need to leak mercury) that explains the problem in more detail:”

Years ago I tried to switch to rechargeable AA and AAA batteries. Unfortunately the rechargeable batteries were slightly lower voltage. In some applications this was not an issue but in most it was a problem for me.

Found an old head lamp that had a very week light. Opened it up and the three AAA batteries were labeled 12/2014, which I assume is when they were made, and another date 3/2021, which I assume was the use by date.

No leakage. :thumb:

Later,
Dan

common theme here seems to suggest it is mostly the past few years manufacture that is causing most of the leaks.

common theme here seems to suggest it is mostly the past few years manufacture that is causing most of the leaks.

It's true that it's only been within the past five or six years that I have noticed newish Duracells leaking in their packaging. Without a receipt they're unreturnable at Target, where purchased. Twice I emailed the manufacturer with my complaint and the code on the package. Each time they advised me to "dispose" of the defective batteries, and after six weeks or so, snail-mailed me a coupon good for a free replacement. Presented the coupons at Target, which accepted them, though only after after some managerial head-scratching. All that was hardly worth the time and inconvenience, but to add insult to injury, each of the replacement products also leaked. I finally got the message, quit complaining, and Duracell, formerly my go-to brand, is permanently off my shopping list.

Got a new flashlight a month ago. I installed two Rayovac and two Energizer AA batteries. I use the light for a few minutes each night. After three weeks it started getting weaker. I just opened it to change the batteries. I found this. The Rayovacs were still showing full charge. I don’t know how old the Energizer were when I installed them, but I’m not happy.

You can't mix batteries of different ages and charge levels. A light that you use every night is the perfect application for rechargeables.

Since AA rechargeables are the easiest to find, these adapters come in handy. They allow you to use AA batteries in C and D cell applications. They also make D size that hold 3 x AA batteries which would obviously last longer. I just grabbed a quick picture off the web for an example/visual aid.

Attachments

• panasonic-eneloop-c-and-d-cell-spacer-aa-battery-converters-8-pack-38.jpg
    panasonic-eneloop-c-and-d-cell-spacer-aa-battery-converters-8-pack-38.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 27
After much research, it seems that the main reason for alkaline battery leakage is the removal of mercury from alkaline batteries in 1996. It turns out that mercury forms an amalgam film with zinc, prolonging battery storage life, and reducing leakage (See Wikipedia).

That is exactly what I thought (see post #12). The beginning of leakage coincided with the packaging proudly proclaiming them to be mercury free. Give me the mercury laced ones, please.

We've had the same experience with Duracell. I quit using them three or four years ago. Whether on our boat or at home, they leak and the environment doesn't seem to be much of a factor.

That is exactly what I thought (see post #12). The beginning of leakage coincided with the packaging proudly proclaiming them to be mercury free. Give me the mercury laced ones, please.

I'm less convinced of the correlation. I agree with other that the leakage problem started roughly 5 years ago, very max 10 years. That's a good 20 years after mercury was eliminated. I think mercury and the EPA are just a convenient scapegoat for what is much more likely a cheapening of the manufacturing process.

Here's another example. Everyone likes to blame the EPA and ethanol for every gas motor that won't start or runs poorly. There is probably some truth in that, but it's not everything. I have a handful of chain saws, all professional models ranging in age from 30 to 10 years old. When I stop using then, I just turn them off and walk away. I have then gone back years later, sometimes ten years, pulled the cord a few times, and they pop right off and run as expected. In contrast, I have Honda a EU3000 generator, supposedly a generator delivered to humanity by god himself. If that sits for more than a year, it NEVER starts. Never. I always have to pull the carb, disassemble, clean, put it back together. So why the big difference? Clearly it's not just the gas, since both are using the same vintage gas, with favor to the Honda since the gas is fresher.

I just remembered that last year I lost a rechargeable MagLite flashlight to swelling. Pissed me off as it was expensive and less than 2 years old. These are proprietary MagLite battery packs.

Not convinced it's associated with a brand.

Peter

I just remembered that last year I lost a rechargeable MagLite flashlight to swelling. Pissed me off as it was expensive and less than 2 years old. These are proprietary MagLite battery packs.

Not convinced it's associated with a brand.

Peter
I've noticed the swelling issue with several L-I packs from cheaper sources for years.

Right. 27 years ago. This leakage issues hasn’t been going on for 27 years. More like 5 years.

For me the leakage problem (batteries, not me!) started at least 7 - 10 years ago. It has gotten worse in the last 5 years. Still not a good correlation to 27 years, but while the act was passed in 1996, mercury was still present in large quantities until 2010. In fact it increased until at least 2010. There is often several years dwell before these batteries make it into equipment. So the correlation is perhaps pretty good. Added to that, from the EPAs own documentation for the act:

Manufacturers around the world use mercury in batteries to prevent the buildup of internal gases that can cause the battery to bulge and leak. In the United States, however, the use of mercury in consumer batteries has declined sharply.

I would add, "and caused battery leakage to increase sharply!"

Back
Top Bottom