Electrical precautions while attaching bonding wires?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ranger58sb

Guru
Vessel Name
Ranger
Vessel Make
58' Sedan Bridge
I’ve found some loose bonding wires, so I’ll need to replace some ring terminals and re-attach to the bonding posts on some thru-hulls…

Do I need to turn off either AC or DC (or both) while making the attachments?

I don’t see a mention of that in Calder…

-Chris

No you should not, but it will not hurt to turn the power off. Keep in mind that the bonding wire is ground for the DC and AC side. With the power on and if you see any sparks when attaching the wire back. Than there is some sort of leakage that needs to be fixed.

I was cleaning the Pos wire from the starting battery last year. That was right next the the genset thru-hull which is bonded. The file I was using hit the strainer, sparks were flying and I jumped with my heart pounding. It was the last thing I expected. In other words, keep that wire away from anything thats Pos and any A.C. power sources.

I knew enough to keep it away from the engine block and other grounds. The strainer just never entered my mind.

On the other hand, turn the power off. If there is leakage, and your holding the wire in one hand and than touch the thru hull with the other. Than the electricity could pass right though you. I just don't want anyone to be hurt!!

Water and more so salt water can conduct. Other reason for bonding.

Last edited:
You should not need to turn it off but it could not hurt to turn it off. Clean up the wire so it doesn’t have any corrosion on it before putting on the new ring terminals.

For good measure, put some dielectric grease between all connections. I use bare terminals and coat the wire before crimping with grease, then put an overall adhesive lined heat shrink over which prevents water from wicking up the wire.

Thanks, all.

Got 2-½ of the 4 fixes done. It'll take me longer on that other ½ 'cause some previous dumbass apparently use a straight slot screw for the old bonding attachment... and it'll need more work to get the old one off.

The fourth fix is a completely missing wire (near as I can tell) and I can't yet work out how to reach the far end.

Getting connectors onto #8 wire turned out to be a thing... since my tools only go to #10. Hmph.

-Chris

I have a set of crimpers that goes from #8 to 4/0. It makes easy work for crimping larger cables.

I was able to get a satisfactory crimp using vice grips, but if I have to do much more of this I'll go shopping for one of those heavier crimp tools!

-Chris

I used a hand-lever "bolt cutter" style tool for a long time. Two years ago I finally broke down and purchased a hydraulic crimper. Definitely a handy tool to have.

https://a.co/d/btWmNEE

Lately I've been using it to make small elastic retainer straps. I forget the exact sizes, but I think #8 lug terminals crimped onto 1/8" bungee cord. I've used it in place of a curtain rod, and as a retainer for hanging kitchen utensils. Easy, and orderly.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom