Gasser on the Great Loop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cargile

Vessel Name
Quasimodo
Vessel Make
Cargile Cutter
I own a 50 year old Cargile Cutter, 28' trailer trawler w a Ford 302 (5.0L). It has a 150 gal fuel tank. Quite comfortable live aboard for 1 or 2. I have been watching many Great Loop You Tube videos/channels and I am hooked. The smallest boat I have seen is 34' and I believe all are diesels. I was of the mind set my boat was too small and a gasser for such a venture. Then I watched a You Tube video by Martin Nethkin, Channel Surfing. 27' Ranger tug w 300 hp Yamaha. He had his wife, son and at least 1 dog along on the Inside Passage to Alaska. I recall about a 3 month cruise. That gentleman has it together. It got me thinking that my boat on the east coast would have a much less arduous time then Martin did. So, please comment on my boat, a gasser and the Great Loop. Thanks. P.S. the only difference between my 28' and the 30' is 2 more feet in the cockpit. Flying bridge helm only. Thanks

Attachments

• Cargile Cutter 30' Layout.jpg
    Cargile Cutter 30' Layout.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 15
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 13
One of the books we keep on our boat for fun is "Only in America" by John Mirassou, who did the Loop in 1987 with two of his buddies in a 17' Boston Whaler. Great read. Personally I need more creature comforts, but they had a blast.

I knew a couple that did the loop with a 36 ft double cabin Mainship with twin 350 gas engines. He had no problems with that setup.

I think you would be fine.
Ron Stob and his wife traveled extensively in their 26' Campion trailerable cruiser with a small block Mercruiser w alpha drive.
They wrote an excellent book, Great Loop Side Trips..
(they were also the authors of 'Honey Lets Buy a Boat' covering their previous complete loop in diesel trawler)

Remember the Pardy's advice, Go small, go now!

No problem with running a gasser around the loop. I had a Cape Dory 28 with a Chrysler gasser and I wouldn’t hesitate to take it around the loop.

Older gassers aren’t very efficient at slow crusing speeds but the extra cost for fuel will be negligible.

David

Would take that Cargile on the loop in a heartbeat (kinda wish I had one now :thumb:) . Biggest issue I see is range.... forget the longest distance between farthest gas stops (think diesel is even longer)... somewhere on a Western River. So, would have to know my nominal range and figure out how to carry more if needed. Even if only one fuel stop.

Next is carrying enough galley supplies.... water & food.

Lots of small vessels have done the Loop.... all the way down to a PWC. Though supposedly a great trip...not so sure at some point it's as much a stunt as a relaxing, fun trip. Planning and support for extreme trips becomes the mission as much as the trip.

Thanks. It has a 150 gal fuel tank. I really haven't found its sweet spot but now guessing 300 mile range. That would be 2 mpg if I run the tank dry so maybe 200 miles. 40 gals water. Composting head. Ample storage for supplies. 4 cu ft reefer so maybe 5-6 days of fresh chow. Enough storage for a month of canned food.

I was trying to reply to psneeld but it likes like it came out a general reply.

Fuel Considerations - Your boat must have a minimum fuel range of 250 miles. This will be the farthest distance between available fuels stops if you take the standard Tennessee-Tombigbee route.

There you have it... some how I would figure out to carry a bit more fuel, but then again...hopefully someone that made that run could give you an idea of following current that would help enough to minimize extra, or even if need to add extra fuel.

Sounds like your past cruising gives you enough data points to make the rest of the critical decisions on looping. Many here might also recommend joining the Loop Association for zeroing on specific help from fresh loopers.

Back
Top Bottom