electrical wire fitting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
what wire fitting do you use to channel wires through the helm station surface, if not using a Seaview Cable Seals?

it's for the electrical wires to the monitor of a backup camera system as shown below. or other instruments that tap into the buss bar inside the helm station.

the camera wires will pull along the passages under the seats up into the arch, then exit from the top of arch and routed to the corners of the sundeck roof where the two cameras are placed

IMG20240726130106.jpg

Screenshot 2024-07-26 172316.png

You can use a small clam shell vent to cover the hole and let the cables exit the bottom. You can caulk it or just orient it so water will not run under the clam shell. They come in a variety of sizes. I found this particular one on Amazon.

Perko 0315DP2STS Stainless Steel Clam Shell Ventilator -​

It would depend on where the monitor will be mounted. Dave’s suggestion of the clam shell is a good one as long as it’s protected from water spray.
Otherwise just google “marine cable gland” and pick something out that looks ok.

You can use a small clam shell vent to cover the hole and let the cables exit the bottom. You can caulk it or just orient it so water will not run under the clam shell. They come in a variety of sizes. I found this particular one on Amazon.

Perko 0315DP2STS Stainless Steel Clam Shell Ventilator -​

Good solution if you are passing the cable through a vertical panel.

A couple of questions:
1 - Does the cable have a bigger diameter connector which must pass through the panel before you fit the "trim" piece?
2 - Are you looking for a watertight closure or are you just looking for cosmetic appearance of the exit point of the cable?

In my opinion, the best options will depend on the answers to these questions.

Good solution if you are passing the cable through a vertical panel.

A couple of questions:
1 - Does the cable have a bigger diameter connector which must pass through the panel before you fit the "trim" piece?
2 - Are you looking for a watertight closure or are you just looking for cosmetic appearance of the exit point of the cable?

In my opinion, the best options will depend on the answers to these questions.
the cable will be either a 16gauge two wire cable, or a universal 4 pin aviation video cable shown as below

Screenshot 2024-07-27 122426.png

it's more for a professional looking. the flybridge is fully enclosed by a hard top and ising glass so the helm station is not subject to weather

Looks like Commodave's suggestion of a clamshell fitting is the best option. The connecor should pass through a 9/16" hole which would be easy to cover with a clamsheell.

An alternate fitting would be a simple rubber (or plastic) grommet. Cut the grommet in one place to flex it open and fit it around the cable and only insert the grommet into the panel after you pass the cable and connector through the panel.

Look at snap-in bushings from Heyco Products. You have to glue them in thick panels. They come solid and split. Any major electronics supply.

Digi-Key Elect - Bushings

Paluga, What cameras did you buy?

Paluga, What cameras did you buy?
I ordered an off brand wired 4 channel camera system from overseas
If you don't need split screen, this yakry 2 channel has good reviews. Their support team can send a second camera for free at request. They also have a 4 channel wireless model but I'm not confident about it staying connected. I have to pull electric wires to the cameras anyway.

Back
Top Bottom