Electronic thru Hulls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHeide

Vessel Name
Susie Q
Vessel Make
Cruisers Yachts 440
Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of Groco E-Valves? It’s an electronic thru hull valve. My thru hulls are in need of replacement, and are very difficult to access on a routine basis.
Found them at various vendors.
Thanks,
John in Port Jeff
https://www.defender.com/pdf/e_valve.pdf

Its a product with no history. Anything I say would be speculation. If you cycle your through hulls on a regular biases then you will probably have good luck. If you are like most and rarely cycle your through hulls then it probably wont work. It looks like alot of complication and expense that is unnecessary. However, I haven't seen your specific setup so I really can't tell you if it makes sense for your.

What about putting an extension on the handles? That might make regular through hulls easier to turn on and off. Take a rod and drill a hole through the end of it and then a hole in the end of the through hull handle and bolt them together but not completely tight. Then you could open and close them somewhat remotely.

I’ve thought of that. It’d still be a contortion to get to but ya, it’s a plan B. They really are in an awkward location and buried. I see why PO never exercised them and they’re now frozen.

Electric activated ball valves have been around for a very, very long time and are dead reliable. I've installed many of them in heating systems, and use them in the hot water heating loop on my boat - one for each zone. I'd prefer 120 vac, which are bullet proof, but maybe 12 or 24 vdc would last plenty long enough.

I'd put the 120 vac versions on my boat without hesitation.

Glad to hear some anecdotal input…. I’ve checked again, and even using extension handles on my current valves it would be very difficult to access, especially quickly. I’m inclined to try the evalves.

What a cool idea! I keep thinking of ways to keep boating as I get less nimble. Opening and closing sea cocks with a button is brilliant. I didn't look-up the price but if it kept you on the water for another year it would be worth a lot. I think having one on the Air Conditioner and Generator would be especially useful. For me the Air Conditioner stays closed almost all the time while the generator and engine stay open almost all the time. None of them get exercised on regular basis.

The cost of the Groco Unit is silly expensive. You can source just the actuator, which will fit over an existing valve body. The ones I have are normally closed and activate on current input and have a small lever that allows you to manually open and lock the valve. They're available in all voltages, but if you have 120 vac, I'd go with that. A simple wall switch then can open and close all valves. For a fail safe to prevent starting a motor with the valve closed, a small relay that completes the circuit to the starter that is powered when the valve switch is on should make it idiot proof.

Did a quick look, and what I would look closely at is buying one of these, chucking the valve and attaching the actuator to the existing valve, assuming it's a ball valve. If not, you're probably struck with replacing the whole valve. If it is, the actuator itself should be easily attached to any ball valve.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-VBN2CPPA0000-1-2-Way-Brass-Threaded-Control-Ball-Valve-for-MVN-Actuator-54-Cv?utm_source=google_ad&utm_medium=Shopping_withoutdata&utm_campaign=Shopping_Without_PLTV_data&gclid=CjwKCAjwgaeYBhBAEiwAvMgp2u9QxVn8KpZJidb9gW4QHWGYNN5T6bHKO09Rst3OVrLMEP2-xceafRoCRi4QAvD_BwE

Good thoughts. I like the idea of adding just an actuator.

If they activate on current input, what happens in an electric failure or interruption, does the valve then close?

The cost of the Groco Unit is silly expensive. You can source just the actuator, which will fit over an existing valve body. The ones I have are normally closed and activate on current input and have a small lever that allows you to manually open and lock the valve. They're available in all voltages, but if you have 120 vac, I'd go with that. A simple wall switch then can open and close all valves. For a fail safe to prevent starting a motor with the valve closed, a small relay that completes the circuit to the starter that is powered when the valve switch is on should make it idiot proof.

Very interesting. If the valve must be replaced, how about a simple Groco bronze valve with an electric actuator from the supply house linked above? Avoids Groco's high price for the entire setup.

Back
Top Bottom