Emergency boarding ladder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mncruiser

Vessel Name
Phoenix
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Does anyone have any experience with emergency boarding ladders?

My boat with dinghy attached covers the existing ladder, making getting back on pretty impossible.

There are several models designed to hang over the side, pull a cord, and climb back on.

I'm looking for something simple, easy to leave out or easily rig up.

I'd welcome your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks!

With the Mainship 390 an undermount one on the side won’t work since the swim platform extends down underwater. You are pretty much limited to a deck mounted ladder which will be a trip hazard. But just keep in mind that it is really important that whatever ladder you choose needs to be deployable from in the water in case someone is alone on the boat and goes overboard.

With the Mainship 390 an undermount one on the side won’t work since the swim platform extends down underwater. You are pretty much limited to a deck mounted ladder which will be a trip hazard. But just keep in mind that it is really important that whatever ladder you choose needs to be deployable from in the water in case someone is alone on the boat and goes overboard.

Yep. It’s a bit of a challenge. I’m really thinking it will be a “bag” type. Fasten it to something, hangs over the side and could be deployed while in the water.

I think about it often while out by myself, going to clean up the dock lines, one slip, one wave, plop I’m in! As-is I think I can hoist myself in, but have not tried it. Gotta figure something out.

Exactly the scenario I imagine happening. My Formula had a huge 4 step ladder that reached down far enough to get out easily BUT first you had to lift a huge fiberglass hatch over it up to 90 degrees and then lift the ladder up and over 270 degrees. Impossible. I added a 63” swim platform extension that has a 4 step ladder mounted under the platform in the middle that can easily be deployed from in the water since we don’t plan on having a dinghy.

This boarding ladder issue is a personal vexation of mine. A pet peeve. A "why the hell don't boat builders get this?" exasperation.

I think we should all call it a "re-boarding ladder" for the reason stated by Comodave:

"Whatever ladder you choose needs to be deployable from in the water in case someone is alone on the boat and goes overboard."

In our case, the boat builder had a poorly designed stern fold-down gate with a tiny two-step ladder attached to the back of the gate. Here's a picture of a different boat, but same model as our boat, so you can see the teeny-tiny ladder mounted on the stern gate:

Mariso - old transom boarding ladder.JPG

That tiny ladder attached to the gate was USELESS for two reasons:
1) it didn't extend into the water, and
2) it could not be deployed when the fold-down gate was down.

Here is a photo, different angle, of the fold-down gate in the down position:

Mariso - old transom gate down 2.JPG

I had a frustrating-beyond-belief argument with the boat builder over this issue of the useless re-boarding ladder.

His argument was that I could climb up the skeg of one of the outboards if I fell overboard.

This was immediately after he had just pointed out how cool it was that when at anchor or in a marina, we would tilt up the outboards which would prevent marine growth on the running gear.

When I tried to point out to him the fallacies of his argument, including the fact that I was 65 years old and no longer limber enough to climb up an outboard's skeg... and the fact that the outboards would be tilted up out of the water in 99% of the situations where I might fall overboard... he simply refused to acknowledge these points.

I searched and searched, but no one manufactures a re-boarding ladder that will function on the back of a fold down gate in both the "up" and "down" positions.

As a result of some other issues we had with the cockpit of the boat, combined with the re-boarding ladder dilemma, we ended up having the stern of the boat completely re-designed and rebuilt to eliminate the stupid fold-down gate, and added a swim platform SO WE COULD ADD AN EASILY RETRACTABLE RE-BOARDING LADDER.

Thirty thousand boat bucks later, our stern looked like this:

Mariso - new swim platform.JPG

I think I might drive Hubby Dan crazy sometimes with my boating safety concerns, but this was one that he fully agreed with.

After we eliminated the gate and added the swim platform, it was easy to find the perfect re-boarding ladder to mount beneath the swim platform.

We've only had to use the re-boarding ladder once. A boat neighbor in a nearby slip fell off his boat - and he didn't have a re-boarding ladder. We helped him out of the water using our re-boarding ladder and on to our swim platform.

Rant over,
Mrs. Trombley

Our last boat had a very heavy ladder that was unreachable from the water. I spliced a line onto it and put a snap on the line. You snap the line to the edge of the swim platform and if needed unsnap the line and pull the ladder into the water. You just have to be out from underneath the ladder when it drops or else you will have a headache. But it was a good compromise and it took all of 20 minutes to do from start to finish.

Attachments

• DFE97517-A83F-4826-9460-817A6E149F88.jpg
    DFE97517-A83F-4826-9460-817A6E149F88.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 1DB749A2-1025-460A-BAB6-396E621258D8.jpg
    1DB749A2-1025-460A-BAB6-396E621258D8.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 39
Does anyone have any experience with emergency boarding ladders?

My boat with dinghy attached covers the existing ladder, making getting back on pretty impossible.

There are several models designed to hang over the side, pull a cord, and climb back on.

I'm looking for something simple, easy to leave out or easily rig up.

I'd welcome your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks!

Does your marina have a ladder installed near your slip?, most marinas have them spaced around, I believe this is driven by State building codes but not positive, keeping apprised of their location may be sufficient. While a bit of a hassle, you could make a habit of launching the dinghy and putting the ladder down when anchored out and a dock mounted ladder is not available.

A rope ladder is a good possibility or even a hanging throw bag is a help. I actually gifted one to my parents a couple years ago for their 390, I should install one on my boat as well. They aren't the best help but an improvement and something to hang onto until help arrives.

The dinghy on my parents boat is held in place with straps that have inline plastic buckles, with a pinch they can be released underload and the dinghy practically self launches with a nudge (or looking at it wrong). It uses the style that holds the dinghy upright, supported from the bottom, cantilevered from the back of the platform on pivoting brackets, I forget the make of them. I'm sure I could release the dinghy quicker than a portable ladder could be retrieved.

The swim ladder on the 350's and 390's can be a bear to deploy but keeping it clean and operating smoothly is a safety consideration and worth prioritizing in the maintenance regime.

Last edited:
The way my dinghy is attached (Sea Wise crank up system) there is no easy or quick way to deploy the dink. Even if there was, a Zodiac 310 and 20hp Merc is a heavy drop.

I think the best bet will be a few of the portable emergency ladders in good locations. I think they will probably become part of the "get the boat ready to go" process.

So far, these are a few of my favorites:
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=88159

and

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|7504|2290202|2290206&id=2398201

I'm leaning towards the first one as it looks more simple, never liked rope ladders. But the second may be easier to use?

I'm in Lake Superior....if I fall in, probably going to be a bad thing depending on the water temp. My biggest concern is being alone and something happening.

Thanks

Make it a habit to wear an inflatable PFD at all times, especially when alone. We have a strobe and PLB on each of ours. Worst case I could activate the PLB and get some help.

Make it a habit to wear an inflatable PFD at all times, especially when alone. We have a strobe and PLB on each of ours. Worst case I could activate the PLB and get some help.

Yep. Especially when docking and moving around, pfd’s are on. I do have one PLB but it’s a bigger one that I keep in a “ditch bag”

My kids are 8 and 9. I always get concerned when they go down to get a snack and we are cooking along. I’ve seen a few systems where they alarm if they would fall off the boat, even some with ignition cut offs. Not sure unlike the idea of engine cutting off, but an alarm yes.

Especially when alone, I resist the urge to let “Ray” drive (raymarine auto pilot) even just for a second if I have to do something. Throttle down. Neutral. Do whatever thing. Back to wheel.

We do have a good habit as a family of always having a watch when Ray is driving, even for just a second.

Lots to think about

Every boat is different and of course, storing a dinghy on the boat can change things.

You will have to look at your own boat and dinghy setup and figure out what will work for you.

I have used my factory installed swim ladder a few times for "emergency boarding" so I can say from experience that it is pretty important to have a way to get back onto the boat.

You need a "try before buy" experience. I was given one similar to the second one and found it basically unusable. It has rigid rungs, which makes it easier to locate with your feet (easier, not easy) but still unwieldy. The ladder that is all rope would take a lot of time, dexterity, and luck. Things you won't have when bobbing in cold water.

The other problem is not shown in the first picture by photographing the guy halfway out of the water. The first couple of rungs on a rope ladder disappear under the hull when you step on them. On a trawler, you would be head high in the water with your feet at almost 90* under the hull. It would require great upper body strength and the skills of a trapeze artist to reach the position shown in the photo. But from there on up, easy peasy (in comparison), like the photo shows.

I see rope ladders as feel good equipment, not safety equipment. It could be argued that they are better than nothing. Maybe. Or maybe you should save your strength and just start yelling. It's what you will be doing after struggling for 10 minutes with the goofy rope ladder.

Just my experience.

What about mounting a ladder either on the port or starboard side whichever the bow of the dinghy is on. Then either mount one on the vertical surface of the swim platform or on the top of the platform. I am not a fan of mounting on top of the platform since it will be a trip hazard but if it is under the bow of the dinghy it may not be too bad. The choice place might be the vertical part of the swim platform at the bow end of the dinghy. Think out of the box, there has to be a better solution than a rope ladder. You may be able to use it but what about the wife or kids, if any.

Y'all make great points as always!

I'm also not sure about either of the rope ladders, agree it would be a try and buy and likely not a great experience. I'm leaning back to a "real" solution. Something we could use for swimming occasionally...yes you can swim in Lake Superior in the right spots at the right time! Anyway...picture of my swim platform:
attachment.php

See the yellow circled area? That's my Sea Wise davit post. It's anchored to the base, and has 2 supports to the transom area too. The Sea Wise system is awesome, btw. Thanks Bob! (Bob was the last owner and put the system on)

My thoughts are:
- Makes a great grab point(s) to actually get up a ladder
- Possible mounting options on the post..less holes in boat?
- Securing options to fasten ladder up?

Not as optimal thoughts:
- It's already crowded over there, so not adding a trip hazard, just making it worse?
- With the dinghy up and motor there, not a ton of space. There's the motor, and the cable/motor bracket that cranks the whole deal up. But I can stand there, and I'm not small. Plenty to hold on to as well.
- Once up, you either have to go over the transom or over/under the transom brace brackets to get off the platform back into the cockpit. Not ideal...but...best of the worst?

What do you think?

Attachments

• phoenix aft.jpg
    phoenix aft.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Here's a better picture of the dink up and secured.

attachment.php

Attachments

• phoenix sea wise.jpg
    phoenix sea wise.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 456
That may well be your only location to install a ladder. I had thought about by the bow of the dinghy but looking at the photos there isn’t room.

That may well be your only location to install a ladder. I had thought about by the bow of the dinghy but looking at the photos there isn’t room.

Yep. And my next dinghy will be a foot longer.

Now this is cool...made by Garelick. The whole thing stores in a tube. Could be perfect for me and my big empty platform...

attachment.php

Attachments

• garelick ladder.jpg
    garelick ladder.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 394
How do you deploy that one from in the water? Where would you store it?

Built the 6' hinged ladder. Similar to walking up steep steps; with, knotted pull line to grab onto.

No dink ever in the way. Always tow our runabout... see "Mini Me" in photos!

Attachments

• Ladder 100_0421.JPG
    Ladder 100_0421.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG
    Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_0434.JPG
    100_0434.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Downsize Crestliner 100_0436.JPG
    Downsize Crestliner 100_0436.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
This boarding ladder issue is a personal vexation of mine. A pet peeve. A "why the hell don't boat builders get this?" exasperation.

I think we should all call it a "re-boarding ladder" for the reason stated by Comodave:

"Whatever ladder you choose needs to be deployable from in the water in case someone is alone on the boat and goes overboard."

Rant over,
Mrs. Trombley

Soooo... Miz - You have both boats still?? Jus wonderen!! - Art

The Garelick ladder comes close, but after watching the video, I'd still look around for something better.
Watching the video (warm fresh water and low freeboard boat), I wondered about a couple of things. First, the release requires the MOB to pull up on the spring loaded pin. Pulling down would be much easier and more natural. Second, the actor knows to individually use his warm ungloved fingers to pull out the little steps. If he didn't, the first step would not be deployed and would be under water. Why not have them spring loaded (like the initial catch)? It would make putting it back more difficult, but who cares?

Third, and this is important, the actor can reach a handhold to help himself out. Many boarding ladder placements don't have anything to steady oneself when initially getting feet on the ladder or to help once halfway up. Even the actor would have had trouble in a 1 foot chop (but there appears to be a handhold at the side of the splashwell). A ladder without a first and maybe second handhold is like climbing to the top rung of a step ladder. You might get there but you might not stay there.

I could see where the Garelick idea would work with a dinghy on the swim step if right at the rear/side of the hull and parallel with the transom. A waterproof install two inches above the waterline, at least four foot long (to make getting on the first step easy), a release that works with cold gloved hands, automatic "pop out" steps, and some kind of a handhold(s) right above it.

The Garelick is perfect for fair weather swimmers, but that's not my concern.

Mrs. Trombley

Here is Canada, and without checking, I am confidant that also in the US, in order to pass a CG inspection, you must have a suitable re-boarding device, unless you already have freeboard of less than 0.5m or a swimstep mounted within 0.5m of the surface of the water.

Here is Canada, and without checking, I am confidant that also in the US, in order to pass a CG inspection, you must have a suitable re-boarding device, unless you already have freeboard of less than 0.5m or a swimstep mounted within 0.5m of the surface of the water.
It may be reqd for CG Commercial but not CG / USPS recreational courtesy inspection. I agree it should be.

I'm not a Mainship expert but it appears your swim step is based on a hull extension? If so, how deep is it at rest? Perhaps you mount a step permanently just above the bottom of the boat on the 'transom' of the step. That coupled with a grab handle on the top of the step might allow emergency boarding. All you've got to do is get some purchase with a foot and a handle to grab.

I'm not a Mainship expert but it appears your swim step is based on a hull extension? If so, how deep is it at rest? Perhaps you mount a step permanently just above the bottom of the boat on the 'transom' of the step. That coupled with a grab handle on the top of the step might allow emergency boarding. All you've got to do is get some purchase with a foot and a handle to grab.

Not for us old people…

Back
Top Bottom