Emergency tiller 78 Grand Banks 42 Classic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
We don’t have an emergency tiller and I should obtain one. Any ideas on how I go about that? I’ve not seen one before but I suspect it’s a pipe that fits over the top piece I’m pointing at in the attached picture. Probably long enough so it extends above deck thru the port in the lazaratte hatch, and maybe has a handle for leverage while steering?
Any suggestions or measurements would be great. Pictures of one would be ideal too if any of you might have some.

Attachments

• 546396D8-77A5-4A3A-9FA5-2EB2ECDD5FF0.jpg
    546396D8-77A5-4A3A-9FA5-2EB2ECDD5FF0.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 42
Good morning. You are correct about the emergency tiller. I have GB 36 #599, and it did come with the tiller. I will take send pics when I get over to the boat hopefully today.
The guru of GB in my neck of the woods, Delmarva peninsula, is John Shannahan.
Oxford Yacht Agency
Dickerson Harbor Boatyard

25 years of GB ownership and I never needed the emergency tiller. If you did need to use it you would need at least another person to run the boat and call out which way to turn as the tiller person can't see where they are going. Finding a tiller is likely a waste of time. IMHO.

25 years of GB ownership and I never needed the emergency tiller. If you did need to use it you would need at least another person to run the boat and call out which way to turn as the tiller person can't see where they are going. Finding a tiller is likely a waste of time. IMHO.

Similar to radar. You never need it until you do. Not the best advice IMHO. The OP may be looking for peace of mind. It is his checkbook. OP - I hope you find one.

My NT doesn’t have an emergency tiller. It’s the first boat I’ve ever owned without one. There’s no easy way to install one. I asked multiple friends about this deficiency and was universally told not a biggie. First if your hydraulic steering is in good shape failures are extremely uncommon. Second you’re now coastal in the developed world. Should failure occur drop the hook and get a tow.
We did have a failure shortly after replacing the entire electronic suite. It occurred while navigating the narrow channel into NEB with rocks on both sides. Used the thrusters to steer and turned around. Went just outside and dropped the hook. Got a tow from the NEB work boat. It wasn’t the steering. It was the electronics. Now bulletproof.

I have used mine. Amazingly I could stand on rear deck and steer by looking through front windows.

Since it was Europa I was even protected in shade. Steered very well.

The original did not break down smaller. Simple mods and it would.

Easy enough to fab one up. Use a piece of square tube to fit over the rudder stock, tall enough to clear the deck. Fashion a hinge on that to a suitable length of wood or metal to use as a handle. Doesn’t need to be pretty, just functional.

Here is mine. Rebuilt rudder table. Flipped steering quadrant because of sag from previous owners using as a step. 20230703_125335.jpg20230703_125348.jpg20230703_125319.jpg20230703_125414.jpg20230703_125536.jpg20230703_125456.jpg

28" to top bend. Tiller is 42" long. 10" of that's bronze from vertical piece. Wood inserts 6 or 7 inches into bronze.
Now if only I had a spare prop down there......

I cannot thank you enough!

That’s exactly what I needed to see and it will come in handy as I think tomorrow I get going on building one.

If you have a twin screw or a single with a bow and/or stern thruster, I would think you'll only need the tiller just to straighten your rudder/s. If this is the case, you wouldn't have to build such a big contraption. A pipe or large adjustable wrench might even do.

I like a hinge instead of a fixed bend. It stows better, and can provide more leverage at a 90 degree angle. Just preference I guess.

We don’t have an emergency tiller and I should obtain one. Any ideas on how I go about that? I’ve not seen one before but I suspect it’s a pipe that fits over the top piece I’m pointing at in the attached picture. Probably long enough so it extends above deck thru the port in the lazaratte hatch, and maybe has a handle for leverage while steering?
Any suggestions or measurements would be great. Pictures of one would be ideal too if any of you might have some.

The E tiller on our 36 appears to be in original wrapping and is stored forward in the flybridge console. Also looks to be the original location.

My 1982 President has a beautiful manual tiller in the aft cabin as decoration. The socket end is chrome plated with a long teak handle. I will take a pictures tonight and post them. As noted, visibility is an issue

Had the tlller on my 1971 GB woody. Its like insurance. Hope you never have to use it.

I had emergency tillers on all my sailboats and did need one once when a steering cable broke. But the trawler is a sundeck model and the steering gear is buried under cabinetry in the aft cabin. I can access it by pulling the drawers out but a tiller would not be practical. Reading this thread tells me I should keep a pipe wrench back there to straighten the rudders then use the twins to maneuver.

I have been boating for about 58 years and have owned 24 boats and have never had an emergency tiller on any of them. Maybe just lucky…

I have one and I know where it is.

Under the bed in the aft cabin. I also know where the deck access is, bronze plate on the aft deck.

So to deploy, remove the queen mattress, remove the mattress boards and remove the massive tiller arm and haul to the aft deck (8 steps up, 4 to salon and 4 to aft deck, 180 degree turn) Now unscrew the deck plate and ram the tiller shaft through the cabin headliner while the mate guides it to the "square"

Yeah, truly an emergency procedure.

How many folks have actually needed an emergency tiller arm?

How many folks have actually needed an emergency tiller arm?

I had a nice one my 40 Albin. I took it out once to look at it and see how I would use it. Then it went back in storage under the aft head for 15 years.

I did snap a steering cable on a 25 ChrisCraft and wished I had an emergency tiller. But I called tow boat and got towed home.

When I had my N46, everyone wanted to see the emergency tiller. They looked at it and were satisfied. I never had to jaw it.
My AT34 has the perfect place to install an emergency tiller but cuttently occupied by a 2nd independent rudder indicator. I could pop that off and install a rudder unit but, I am NOT worried

I have been boating for about 58 years and have owned 24 boats and have never had an emergency tiller on any of them. Maybe just lucky…

I’ve been boating 25 years and have never needed my emergency tiller. Also in that time, I have never needed a fire extinguisher. I know the tiller isn’t required but I’ll continue to carry mine and enjoy the peace of mind.

I like a hinge instead of a fixed bend. It stows better, and can provide more leverage at a 90 degree angle. Just preference I guess.

Now that's a good idea. We have one, which tends to get buried in the lazzarette, where it would take sometime to unload it. In fact, this has limited by stowage in the lazz. It would fit in the flybridge, especially hinged. Maybe better there than underneath a plethora of equipment in the lazz.

Now that's a good idea. We have one, which tends to get buried in the lazzarette, where it would take sometime to unload it. In fact, this has limited by stowage in the lazz. It would fit in the flybridge, especially hinged. Maybe better there than underneath a plethora of equipment in the lazz.
I`d hesitate adding a hinge. Lots of load if you ever had to use it.
My IG36 had one and like others, in 10 years never used it. First resort would have been the twins anyway. Mine was a metal tube section with a magnificent long round teak handle, I cleaned up and painted the metal, and re varnished the handle. After which it went back in the lazarette for want of somewhere to display its beauty,and my efforts.

The N46 and I’ll assume all the Nords, aft lazzarette, mounted to the overhead.
It is not ‘light weight’ so bring at least one strong friend.

I`d hesitate adding a hinge. Lots of load if you ever had to use it.
My IG36 had one and like others, in 10 years never used it. First resort would have been the twins anyway. Mine was a metal tube section with a magnificent long round teak handle, I cleaned up and painted the metal, and re varnished the handle. After which it went back in the lazarette for want of somewhere to display its beauty,and my efforts.

I didn’t say a flimsy hinge. :D
Plus, there are many sailboat tillers with hinges, and huge rudders. Way more rudder area than we have on a typical trawler.

Back
Top Bottom