Engine help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Mahogany

I have 2 ford lehman deisels and my port engine overheats they are from 1965/1972 not entirely sure id ideally like a mechanic specializing in these old girls in Ontario:) im in Toronto thankk you i will also take links to data and info on these engines:)

Greetings,
Mr. MM. American Diesel. https://americandieselcorp.com/
Put it on speed dial on your phone. It is THE source for parts and information.
Overheating could be due to bad impeller, clogged heat exchanger, loose fan belt, clogged water intake or a few other things. Time to get intimate with your new mistress. A competent diesel mechanic should be able to work on them.

Absolutely get to know Brian at American Diesel. He is the guru on your engines.

I have a different engine but overheats can be from many causes. A good mechanic should be able to sort it out.
A link to my tome below may help explain why and where to look.

Attachments

• Heating up when running.doc
    42.5 KB · Views: 49
Don't think the worst. An overheating engine can be from serious engine problems like head gasket, cracked block or warped head but usually the problem is much less serious than that.

Look at the other side of the spectrum, the water flow. Check water pumps, intake, output, look for air locks, check antifreeze level. Get a hand held temp gauge and find out where the hot spot is.

pete

The number 6 cylinder runs the hottest and is where overheat problems show up and do the worst damage. I would get a non contact temperature gun and shoot the temps all over the engine and see if it is hot everywhere or just near #6.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom