Engine Seacock Open/Close

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One option would be to buy a 4' piece of stainless rod and bend a 90 degree turn on both ends. Drill a hole in the end of the thru-hull handle and insert the stainless rod, and use the other end as a handle. If you could mount a screw eye to secure the rod to something... Manual thru-hull handle extension.

One option would be to buy a 4' piece of stainless rod and bend a 90 degree turn on both ends. Drill a hole in the end of the thru-hull handle and insert the stainless rod, and use the other end as a handle. If you could mount a screw eye to secure the rod to something... Manual thru-hull handle extension.

Many of the Groco valves have a square hole to receive a ratchet drive. Not sure if it's 1/2" or 3/8", but does give some extra throw if needed.

Avoiding overheating by some is done by hanging your ignition key on the seacock when closed.

Doesn't work for everyone...but have done it personally and with the assistance towing companies I worked for.

That’s what I do, but it’s somewhat easily reached by opening the small hatch to the engine room, laying on my belly, and reaching down. Bonus is it gets my head down in there to check coolant and make sure everything looks and smells normal.

I have a small label stuck near the final keyhole when leaving the boat - it says GEOFFS, reminds me to switch about the Gas, Electricity, Openings, Fuel cocks, Fridge and seacocks. I pause as I pu the key in to lock the boat and run through it. It has saved me from missing a "leaving the boat item" on a few occasions. When i return I just do the reverse!

You can have checklists (and I do) but this is the final check.

Cleaning Sea Strainers

I'd also have the seacock moved to a better position. Additionally, I'm surprised how many Captains don't operate their seacocks very often. Our boat is in Florida so maybe we pickup more debris than others but I clean and/or check them before every cruise. My seacocks are moved 2-3 times a month.

by some is done by hanging your ignition key on the seacock when closed.

Riminds me of a friend's check list: Stamped into a copper sheet, bent to cover the gear levers, ...#5 - check for wife aboard...

I close mine after every run. I do a complete pre-start engine check before starting, and as such, I am right down there with the seacock anyway. I also leave a note beside the start key at the helm to remind me that the seacock is closed, and we have an Aqualarm flow alarm that would alarm instantly if I somehow forgot. It has not proven to be a problem as it is now "routine", and my seacock moves very easily as it is exercised often. Different methods for different folks!!

We do the same here, all seacock are operated before and after every run, main engines, generators, water intakes for air cond, water maker,.....

Seacocks

I have recently completed (2 years) replacing all 27 seacocks, backing blocks and thru hulls. I had valves that did not operate frozen in all positions. I have two that are not reachable, therefore I welded a 2 foot rod to a ratchet to reach handle- Groco designs handles to accept this method, works well. I lubricate all valves once a year and again on hard to reach valves I have attached remote grease fittings to lubricate. I found all hoses that required replacement also. Long tough job and expensive but done correctly. Made my own backing blocks and replaced all strainers. Highly recommend doing it correctly.

My engine seacock froze open recently. I’m going to haul the boat in next month or two to be able to rebuild or replace it. I’m used to having to clean a raw water strainer from earlier boating days, and need to shut the water supply to do so. Not so much the case in the PNW but still, I’d like to retire that risk. My engine seacock is accessible and hoses are easy to inspect, and I do so daily. Hoses are double clamped correctly so I’m not concerned that somehow there will be a failure, but the results of any failure could be catastrophic... so just makes sense to make sure they work. If they freeze open they can freeze shut btw.

Back
Top Bottom