Engine Zinc Durability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

merlinj79

How long do engine zincs normally last? CAT 3208s.

I'll be putting the motors on a regular mx schedule soon, but wanted to make sure it could wait until the end of the year. Previous owner's notes show oil service and zincs in Dec 2023 (Oil I know is annual or hours).

I don't think there is any definitive answer on engine anode life. I'm wrestling with that now on a new to me boat. Previous boat had 3208 NAs. Out of ignorance I let them go too long. It was difficult and expensive. The main bundles in a 3208 are no fun to pull. If you have OEM cast iron risers they can fail in a way that can possibly destroy your engine. The only way I know to figure it out is to pull them frequently and examine. If you've got sea water cooled transmission check that too. Gradually lengthening the time until you learn how long you can go. In my opinion engine anodes are inexpensive compared to corrosion in the cooling system. Changing anodes is far easier than pulling bundles, heat exchangers etc.

Some only go 6 mo, others 1-2 years. Depends on whether seawater drains down from the zinc when you shutdown.

Once you learn which is which, you can adjust your replacement schedule accordingly.

David

Pull and check engine zincs sooner than later, and regularly. My 2019 380 Cummins engine zincs lasted up to 9 months. The ZF transmission cooler zinc lasted no more than 3 months, mainly because it was smaller, both in length and diameter. Always replaced each with new ones after checking. To me, a best practice.

What zinc size does your transmission cooler take?

The one included in boatzinc.com QSB kit does not fit mine. I’m not sure whether to go down a diameter size to 1/4 inch? Or order a metric size shown for ZF transmissions. I am guessing it needs 1 inch length but I’m guessing.

CME0 is the one for the ZF trans cooler which I ordered from Boatzincs. However it had to be shortened about 1/2 “ to fit. Not absolutely sure but I had a ZF85.

Back
Top Bottom