Espar Airtronic D4 issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lsquared

Vessel Name
Ocean Symphony
Vessel Make
Hardin 42 SE
My diesel heater has stopped working - was working fine till a bit ago. When switched in - the fan runs, but I don’t hear the fuel pump click when first turned on.

I have 12.5 volts at the main plug - I’ve looked at the schematics in the manual to try and figure out which wire in the main plug should be carrying 12+ volts but I can’t make heads nor tails of the diagrams.

Does anyone know what wires should be carrying 12.5 + .
What should the voltage to the fuel pump be?

Yes, I know there is a diagnostic tool - but rather than spend the $400 plus I think if I can’t troubleshoot it myself it will need to go to the shop.

Thanks,

My diesel heater has stopped working - was working fine till a bit ago. When switched in - the fan runs, but I don’t hear the fuel pump click when first turned on.

I have 12.5 volts at the main plug - I’ve looked at the schematics in the manual to try and figure out which wire in the main plug should be carrying 12+ volts but I can’t make heads nor tails of the diagrams.

Does anyone know what wires should be carrying 12.5 + .
What should the voltage to the fuel pump be?

Yes, I know there is a diagnostic tool - but rather than spend the $400 plus I think if I can’t troubleshoot it myself it will need to go to the shop.

Thanks,

I ran that exact heater for many years as a live aboard. It’s a good heater but there are some things that wear out over time. I have a very good understanding of how it functions and I also have the diagnostic software on my laptop for them.
That espar will run a startup diagnostic routine. The metering pump won’t start clicking till it passes the startup tests. First on the list of things it looks at is blower speed. If the fan doesn’t get up to rated speed nothing else will happen.
If the blower is ok, it will look at the overheat and temp sensors, and glow plug current. Next thing is it will begin to cycle the metering pump. The pump doesn’t just get the 12 volts to it, it is a pulse output from the controller. It starts at low frequency (slower clicks) until it sees the temperature rise at the combustion chamber sensor. Then it will ramp up the speed of the pump and blower till it reaches its high output (boost). After a time it will ramp down the blower and pump to match the thermostat demand setting.
Without the diagnostic tools it’s hard to say exactly what is malfunctioning, but, in all my years running those heaters, when the heater wouldn’t do anything but run the fan at startup, it was a bad combustion blower.
It’s an expensive part, so I won’t just say to replace it and everything will be ok, but it’s highly suspect.
If you’ve had it for a long time, or don’t know how many hours are on it, I’d say there’s a very good chance it’s bad. When I ran them as a live aboard, I typically had to replace the combustion blower every two years, maybe three. As a side note, espar does not recommend it for live aboard duty for that exact reason.
One more thing to think about, after a number of tries to start it, if it doesn’t fire, it will lock you out. I think you get ten tries or something like that. If you do get locked out you have no choice but to get it reset using one of the diagnostic tools.
I always used genuine espar parts in mine, but I think there might be knock off blowers (cheap imports) if you want to roll the dice.
A genuine espar blower costs more than a complete knock off heater of the same output range.
Good luck with it.

At the risk of getting chided here, we replaced our espar with a chinese knock off. a Vevor 8kw diesel. It’s not as many BTU’s (26,000ish….heavy on the ish) as the espar and we only decided to make the swap after using two of the vevor heaters to heat our ‘64 GM coach. I have yet to have any problems with them and decided that a $105 price tag and a pretty straight forward install made the most sense (all the plumbing, exhaust and intake from the espar was used, only a slight modification was needed for the footprint). End result (we just did the install last month); …..it heats the boat well, the air volume is about 3/4 of the espar, so we closed a couple of vents it was ducted to. We supplement heat on the really cold days by cooking a lot with our Dickinson Adriatic (we liveaboard in south central Alaska)….. all in all, if you ever decide to ditch the espar, the knock offs work pretty well, have been pretty reliable with way more than “occasional” use and I know for a fact that the next time I need to fix it, it’ll cost us $105us and I just need to go to the closet and grab one. We’re on a Hardin 42’ as well.

Congrats on your purchase! Beautiful looking vessel.

Thanks for the info - turned out to be my control board which I replaced and all is fine now - good to know about the knock offs - I’ve seen quite a few advertised lately and was wondering about them.

We had heard there might be a Hardin 42 in Alaska - would love to connect via email with u to be able Teo chat more . I am in contact with another Hardin owner from the southeastern states and we chat back and forth quite a bit about issues/projects.

My email is lsundqui@telus.net

Happy Boxing Day and here’s to a great 2024!

At the risk of getting chided here, we replaced our espar with a chinese knock off. a Vevor 8kw diesel. It’s not as many BTU’s (26,000ish….heavy on the ish) as the espar and we only decided to make the swap after using two of the vevor heaters to heat our ‘64 GM coach. I have yet to have any problems with them and decided that a $105 price tag and a pretty straight forward install made the most sense (all the plumbing, exhaust and intake from the espar was used, only a slight modification was needed for the footprint). End result (we just did the install last month); …..it heats the boat well, the air volume is about 3/4 of the espar, so we closed a couple of vents it was ducted to. We supplement heat on the really cold days by cooking a lot with our Dickinson Adriatic (we liveaboard in south central Alaska)….. all in all, if you ever decide to ditch the espar, the knock offs work pretty well, have been pretty reliable with way more than “occasional” use and I know for a fact that the next time I need to fix it, it’ll cost us $105us and I just need to go to the closet and grab one. We’re on a Hardin 42’ as well.

Congrats on your purchase! Beautiful looking vessel.

certainly can't blame you for going that way, the cost of the entire heater is a quarter of the cost of just the combustion blower on the espar.
i got two, maybe three seasons on the blowers as a liveaboard, if i was still using forced air heaters i'd be looking hard at those too. any idea of the safety record on them?

certainly can't blame you for going that way, the cost of the entire heater is a quarter of the cost of just the combustion blower on the espar.
i got two, maybe three seasons on the blowers as a liveaboard, if i was still using forced air heaters i'd be looking hard at those too. any idea of the safety record on them?

Honestly, we did very little research before buying them. We haven’t had any issues with the install on the bus (‘64 GM coach conversion, we installed 2 in it) over the last 6 months and in all reality, that was my benchmark for safety concerns. they have worked flawlessly and I haven’t found much data on their reliability as far as blowing up boats and busses and cabins….. kinda rolling the dice I suppose, but what is done is done now. Still apprehensive too though, we don’t let the unit run when we aren’t on board and we have done everything we could to mitigate any major malfunction with heat shielding and warning protection (CO alarm, smoke alarm) the existing flame detection system still works too. So, not a completely blind install, but there’s always more that could be done I suppose.

short answer, we did our own practical testing…. (insert an eek emoji here) lol

cheers!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom