Exhaust manifold leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drexmac

Vessel Name
Sandpiper
Vessel Make
Californian 34
My Perkins 4-236 has a tiny pinhole leak at the bottom of the exhaust manifold. It is near a freeze plug but I know it's not leaking from there because the leak is above it. Is this high pressure? Can it be sealed with something? I believe it is raw water because it's clear. Coolant is green.

I'm always on the lookout for spare parts.

Anyone have similar issue in the past?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240531-131412~2.png
    Screenshot_20240531-131412~2.png
    367.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20240531-131412~2.png
    Screenshot_20240531-131412~2.png
    367.3 KB · Views: 50
you should replace it right away

Little leaks turn into big leaks. Replace asap

There's probably not much metal thickness left. If there is you could drill and tap it or weld/braze it. The pin hole is probably like the bottom of a V with a wider area above the leak already gone.
I have seen people cover the inside corroded area with high temp epoxy after etching to remove the rust down to good metal.
Best bet is a new one.

I wholly agree with the concensus of opinion is to fit a new one, otherwise you are just postponing the day.
The company that makes them is EJ Bowman in the UK. Give them the engine number and they will ship one out to you no problem as they ship around the world. ejbowman.co.uk
Don't forget to order a set of gaskets from your local Perkins dealer.

You might also try Exhaust Systems of Alabama. They have many aftermarket exhaust parts.

I had a similar situation and could not find a replacement. So I had to have one custom built, and they did a great job. The place that did the work was Yachts and Diesel out of Ft. Lauderdale. Their info is: Yachts and Diesels <yachts@reply.repairshopr.com>
Good luck.

You might also try Exhaust Systems of Alabama. They have many aftermarket exhaust parts.
I agree with Capt. Jon. Exhaust Systems of Alabama built 2 manifolds for my Perkins 4-236 engines. Made of 316 S.S. nice enough to display on the coffee table. Were 1/2 price of OEM. been running them for 7 years now and hold up well .

Back
Top Bottom