Fascia for Instrument Box?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serene

Vessel Name
Serene
Vessel Make
Blue Seas 36
In the process of doing a mini-refit to my vessel and with adding new MFD's I want to build an instrument box to add to the helm area so I can flush mount the screens.

Simple question; what material is normally used for the black facia?

e.g. see this pic for an example.

Attachments

• 6291319_20170713120424458_1_XLARGE.jpg
    6291319_20170713120424458_1_XLARGE.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 43
I have used 1/4” black Starboard and also have had 1/8” aluminum panels custom made. Starboard is bery easy to work with regular woodworking tools. The aluminum was done by a company that does a lot of electrical panels and such.

Formica laminate on plywood. Simple and readily available.

I have used ABS plastic, Acrylic (Plexiglass), powder coated aluminum and starboard.

Formica works but I don’t like the way the edge looks.

Thanks for the feedback. Gives me some research options now to see what is available in Australia.

If you use plywood and a high pressure laminate, Formica, and it gets wet it can delaminate. Starboard is impervious to moisture.

If you use plywood and a high pressure laminate, Formica, and it gets wet it can delaminate. Starboard is impervious to moisture.

I found a supplier of Starboard not far from me, so sounds like the way to go.

You can use regular woodworking tools on Starboard. I cut the piece to size and then run the edges through a jointer to take the saw blade marks off. You can sand them off but it takes quite a bit of sanding. Then I use a router with a roundover bit to finish the edges so they aren’t square. You can use hole saws to cut the holes for gauges. A jig saw works well for the square cutouts. When you screw the starboard down make sure to drill the holes for the screws a bit oversized since Starboard does expand and contract a little bit. If you use pan head screws to hold the panel down they will cover the oversized holes. Also don’t tighten the screws completely down so the Starboard can move under the screw heads. I have made several dash panels with 1/4” black Starboard with great success.

You wanna get fancy, go to a trophy shop. If you use the stuff they do, they can engrave labels right in it for the gauges etc

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom