Faster easiest way to remove prop barnacles on the hard ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great tool for the hull, but the question was for the props.

Not sure how in my experience the industry standard tool where I am from is glossed over.
There are several different Dewalt models. Any recommendations? I've never used one, but it gets mentioned all the time, especially with fiberglass work. Is it basically a rotary sander on steroids? Outside of the wire brushes, what kind of wheel is generally used? Sorry if this is a hijack, I can start another topic. Guess I need a grinder 101 class.

Psneeld, I have been using the brick bolster on props for over ten years and can attest to its efficiency in that regard.
An angle grinder with a twist-knot brush is a good follow up but sprays crap everywhere if used on a dirty prop as a first line of attack.

Regards,
Richard

Last edited:
You can use anything you want, if it works for you.

Just saying pretty much everyone I have ever seen in boat yards use a stiff putty knife initially, then the wire cup on a grinder to polish up the prop. The twisted strand cups are too aggressive in my book.

Mike, just a plain old 4 inch angle grinder. DeWalt is what I happen to have but many others are as good or better.

I use everything from cutting discs, grinder, flapper wheel, sanding disc of various roughness, wire cup and wheels.....

I cut, grind, sand, shape, trim, etc, etc.

With no dirt shop with nice stationary tools and room to store tools, one has to be frugal with storage and inventive with purpose... :)

Long pants and long sleeved shirt. Those cups throw wires and its no fun on the receiving end.

I would also strongly suggest eye protection for any style, wire wheel or cup.

I've had very good luck with muriatic acid and a wire wheel on a drill. match the wheel material with the prop (bronze prop = brass wheel). I've used a steel wheel on SS props as well.

No need to match wheel material, just go as light or as hard as you need with good stiff wire to get the hard stuff the pressure washer couldnt.

I still prefer a grinder soeed to a drill, unless it is a very high speed drill.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom