Fenders for Locks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ERTF

44ft Marine Trader. What is the best size fenders for locks? Are lock walls ever corrugated so that a larger than normal fender is needed?

Price is of no concern; I live on the hook around people with big fancy boats and poor seamanship, so big expensive fenders are always floating by. Currently i have full sets of standard fenders in diameters of 10" & 12", and buoys in 20" & 27". (I just sold my collection of 17" buoys, but I'm sure more will float by 😆). Which size should i keep for locks?

Last edited:
As a veteran of locks (over 200 solo in 2022), with my previous boat the same size as yours, you want 3 large balls. I believe mine were 24" but will need to double check.

One goes close to the stern. One goes about 2/3 of the way to the bow. The last one is just under the bow rail to keep the bow from hitting the lock if the stern pivots on middle ball.

Ted

The big ball fenders give you more spacing if you have a place to store them.

Another question I have is what is the success rate of requesting which side of the lock you want? Specifically in the Okechobee Waterway because that is the one system I'll probably eventually have to transverse.

I have a fiberglass skiff that I unfortunately have to tow singlehanded. I just leave 12" standard fenders out on the aft starboard, and put the skiff on the hip when pulling or dropping anchor, and drop back when underway. I'm pretty quick with the manuever, but I'm not sure how workable that would be in a canal with notable current or wind. Other options would be hip tow the entire canal. Or worst option: bring up close behind on bridle for locks, but it would still be too free and cause problems IMO.

I believe mine were Polyform A-5. The larger balls work much better than cylinder style fenders. On lock wall where chunks of concrete are missing or the fender goes into a recess with a ladder, the ball will pop out as opposed to getting hung up. For a size perspective, below is my boat in the yard with the balls tied to the upper railing. The other fenders are Polyform F-8 for docking and rafting up.

Ted

20231106_131647.jpg

The locks we have been through usually tell you which side to tie up on. We never requested anything different, so it may be that the lock master might let you choose but I don’t know. The usual side on the Erie, Oswego and TSW was the starboard side. But every now and then the lock master would specify port side. We haven’t done the Florida locks.

Another question I have is what is the success rate of requesting which side of the lock you want? Specifically in the Okechobee Waterway because that is the one system I'll probably eventually have to transverse.

I have a fiberglass skiff that I unfortunately have to tow singlehanded. I just leave 12" standard fenders out on the aft starboard, and put the skiff on the hip when pulling or dropping anchor, and drop back when underway. I'm pretty quick with the manuever, but I'm not sure how workable that would be in a canal with notable current or wind. Other options would be hip tow the entire canal. Or worst option: bring up close behind on bridle for locks, but it would still be too free and cause problems IMO.
I have a lot of experience with the Okeechobee waterway as I live in Fort Myers.

You will need to side tie the dinghy to the trawler. Some of the locks when flooding, will swirl current. This means that the water flows down one side from the doors and comes back up the other side.

In most cases on the Okeechobee, the operators want you to lock on the side they are on. Some don't care which side. Going East to West, 3 are on the port and 2 are on the starboard.

The Okeechobee locks flood by partially opening the upstream doors. So current in the chamber can be significant with large lifts (4 to 9'). In addition, there are no floating bollards, pipes in the walls, or cables attached at the top and bottom. Instead, a bow and stern line are either dropped to you or lines are attached only at the top, every 20' or so. You will be required to manage both lines to stay close to the wall. You need to be attentive going down as the slack is going away.

While I've not towed through a lock with a boat on the hip, it would be advisable to notify the lock tender of your intentions and be the last boat in the lock.

When locking up, if you have the option, tying off in the middle to back of the chamber is far less turbulent.

Ted

We use HTM-4 (13"x35") on the mid/aft and a 30" round near the front to allow for the curvature of the hull. We have to adjust the buoys up or down as we get to the top of the lock, but only ~6". We used to have covers but they got a mess and made it worse to clean.

We use balls in locks as well. I find they slide well and when they're not needed for a while they can be deflated to store more easily.

We use 2x 18" balls, 1 forward, 1 aft positioned just above the water. And then 3 or 4 smaller 12" balls just below the gunwale. That sits nicely against walls with our hull flare and keeps the boat far enough off the wall. And with high and low fenders there's no concern for hitting if the boat rolls a bit against the wall. And no need to adjust at the top of a lock, as if the upper fenders are above the wall, the lower fenders take over.

Back
Top Bottom