Florida or Sea of Cortez for the winter season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have cold. We had 5 days in January and 1 in February that it didn't reach 70, only upper 60's. We had three nights it dropped below 50 degrees. I know we turned the heat on for a few hours. We try to do that at least once a year to make sure all is well. :D

Oh and we just returned from our weekend in Key West. Just a quick run down and back, about 5 hours. :)

Baby

Took our boat from Long Beach to La Paz in 2019 and going back in 2022. We drive our sprinter van with our dog down Baja all the time and never have issue. Learn a little Spanish is goes along ways, they appreciate you trying. Just because people are poor does not make them a criminal. Learn to say no gracias...No thank you! If you do not understand use Google Translate, they speak into the microphone and speak back, ,just like Startrek and it works well. Mexicans and most south American cultures are very respectful. But if you concern do not go, those are people that tend to have issues as pick a fight or looks so on edge they get nervous. Personally I feel safer in SOC and Baja then I do downtown LA these days!!!

DO I want to go to Florida and Caribbean, absolutely, both are rich cruising areas with lots to see and do...neither choice is wrong.

Thanks Peter.

Let's be clear: Mexico has a HUGE problem with graft and corruption, primarily driven by the drug trade. The big difference between Mexico and the US is in the US the police are fairly dependable.

Graft and corruption is in no short supply in Mexico nor the big neighbor to the North. The scams and schemes North of the border are far grander and camouflaged much better. That happens when stealing billions instead of thousands.

That said, I am stunned that anyone would lump SoC into the same slurry as the rest of Baja. Tijuana is one of the most dangerous cities in the world, and Cabo and La Paz aren't too terribly far behind the likes of St Louis and Baltimore. Ensenada where I live part-year also has awful statistics. It really surprises me because I feel perfectly safe there, but I try to keep a very low-key profile, which fortunately comes naturally for me.

East St. Louis, IL Baltimore, MD United States
Violent 96.2 77.8 22.7 ave.
Property 42.3 67.6 35.4 ave.

"The part I love about traveling in Mexico are the small towns - I enjoy street tacos from places that many Americans would avoid. I enjoy that style of travel. I don't enjoy manicured/curated resorts."

You and I are very similar in this regard.
You sound like a traveler NOT a Tourist.

"I love open-air tiki bars with a cold beer and gravely-voiced waitresses who ask me "what'll you have hon?"" - my kinda joint too.

"My point is Mexico has more security issues than Florida - you simply cannot deny the statistics. I occasionally get shaken down by a cop, but I've also had cops politely tell me I managed to turn the wrong direction down a 1-way street. It's manageable for my tastes and the rewards far outstrip the slightly elevated risk."

I would still make the point that Gringos from the US or Canada are far safer in Mexico than poor Mexicans are there. They may be safer in Mexico in general than SE Florida or Tampa.

We have lived in Key West, Central Coastal California, Hawaii, and now San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico, and the biggest difference (at least Oct-June) is better weather, far fewer crowds, much more affordable everything, and virtually zilch violent crime targeted at old white folks.

https://travelmexicosolo.com/safest-cities-in-mexico/

Yes, Tijuana is dangerous.

There are 134 murders per 100,000 people, and Tijuana has been ranked the most violent city in the world. The end of 2021 has shown little improvement, and Tijuana has an average of about 164 murders a month now (source – Border Report).

Gang activity and drug-related crimes are the biggest safety threat in Mexico and in the USA it is often the same plus a large contingent of violent crime (rape, assault, car-jacking) that is not gang-affiliated. There are approximately 8 major cities that are over a million that is a No-Go for me in Mexico and about twice to three times that on the other side of the border.

Mexico City DF with 28 million people is about 4.5X safer than Washington DC-based on violent crimes or homicides/100,000 people.

The US has roughly 110 guns per 100,000 people and
4.5 guns homicides per 100,000 people.
Mexico has over 20 gun homicides per 100,000 people and
about 18 gun homicides* per 100,000 people. (excluding gringos)

But if just gunshots were counted, the gap would be very small.

Fact is, the US is simply much faster at treating GSWs and responding when seconds count. If the availability of trauma centers and emergency response were equal, then I would not be surprised to see more equality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom