Florida west coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doug.dsi

Just purchased a GB 46 classic and need to bring it from Mobile, AL to Stuart, FL.
Wife and I plan on taking it slow, for the first 8 days until we get to Carrabelle. Then she will have to go back to work and I will continue.
Having never cruised the west coast, I am looking for suggestions. Running straight through to Tampa is a possibility, but I am not looking forward to a 23 hour run on an older vessel I have only spent a few days on.

Due to the hurricane damage along Florida’s west coast, I wouldn’t make this a sightseeing, casual trip. So go for a 10 hour run the first day, maybe to Destin to shake things down. If all is ok head straight for Tampa and then ten hour legs to get past the hurricane devastated area. You should be able to easily make it to Stuart in eight days.

David

I can only speak to my local area of the ICW near St Petersburg - a 25-mile stretch of Pinellas County from Clearwater Beach in the north to Passe-a-Grille in the south. I do not know about fuel availability, but I do know Jet Age Fuel will deliver to a dock or wharf. Would be worth a call to them - they may have a suggestion on a public one, or perhaps a private one behind a good Samaritan's home. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple fuel docks open.

The ICW itself is fine, though I would check with the USCG before entering any inlet to make sure the ATONs have been verified. The ICW itself is still beautiful with plenty of anchorage opportunities. I believe the drawbridges are operating but not positive.

Hope this helps -

Peter

Depending on what you draw, Carrabelle to Crystal River is decidedly shorter.

When I did the Loop, I chose to go from Panama City to Tarpon Springs. It was decidedly longer, but this time of year, the weather windows are only a day or two. The window was only a day, so I had to go from Panama City. There's a channel from the gulf to the river going up to Tarpon Springs. The city dock at TS is good. Call the harbor master to check availability.

Ted

Welcome aboard the TF, Doug, and congratulations on your new-to-you GB 46. A great cruising boat!

With an unfamiliar boat, you're right to prefer to work up to overnight passages outside of protected waters. For crossing the Big Bend, there are few convenient places to put in under the best of circumstances. Hurricane Helene having recently chewed up the west coast of Florida, the present circumstances are far from favorable. I think you ought to plan on making the jump from Carrabelle to the Anclote River entrance, which as you note will be about a 23 hour run as the seagull flies. If you prefer to deviate further inshore and ignore the rhumb line course, you can maintain a distance of 12 or 14 miles away from land. But given the sparseness of shoreside resources, the near shore "dogleg" route probably offers only psychological comfort, rather than any practical advantage. Another argument in favor of the direct route is that you may be less likely to encounter the floating debris that are typically carried out of the passes and river entrances after a major storm.

I'd come out of East Pass, between St. George Island and Dog Island, make my course straight to the north end of St. Joseph Sound, and enter the ICW there. On that route you'll never be out of reach of Coast Guard Station Yankeetown, in case of real need. Wait for a calm weather window, leave Carrabelle in daylight, run overnight and arrive off the north end of Anclote mid-morning or later the next day, so as to avoid searching for markers with the sunlight in your windscreen. On that subject, as Peter noted above, aids to navigation all up and down the west coast of Florida are suspect. (Parts of the east coast aren't much better). Fixed aids are often damaged or just plain MIA, and you should assume that any surviving floating aids are likely off station. Even the Tampa Bay Pilots have been reduced to daylight-only operations, owing to the ATN situation. The Coast Guard's ATN Team is out there doing their best, but it's going to be awhile.

Once you're ready to resume your trip south, my suggestion would be to go outside again all the way to the Sanibel Lighthouse and the entrance to San Carlos Bay, for the same reasons as above.

Thank you for all the advice. It sounds like doing the over night run will probably be my best option. I'm always open to advice from others. There's no sense reinventing the wheel.

Before you start the cruise home I would take a couple of days cruise locally where the boat is now. Find out if you have any big issues before you go. Also do you know how to change the fuel filters and bleed them? If not learn before you go and carry a bunch of filters since you don’t know the condition of the fuel that is in the tanks now.

Back
Top Bottom