Ford Lehman 120 HP 2715E Marine Diesels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polecat702

This is my first post. I'm trying to find a set of intake and exhaust combo manifolds with center cooling for my 49' Alaskan trawler. New, Used serviceable , for the 2715E 6 cylinder Ford Lehman diesels.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Joe Norman

Welcome aboard. Try American Diesel they are the Lehman gurus. Brian is great to work with. 804-435-3107

I spoke with Brian last August and at that time he told me he was expecting a shipment of manifold and elbows in the first quarter of 2023. For me that was a bit too far in the future, so I did not continue with it.

If Brian cannot source is you may want to call De Schiffart in the Netherlands. I bought a manifold (used), plus an elbow (also used) last September from them.
They get them from somewhere in the UK (which is where the engines originate from), but obviously they don't want to disclose that address.

https://www.deschiffart.nl/contact/

Still wouldn’t hurt to give American Diesel a call. You just might luck out. Even it they don’t have what you need, you need to get to know these folks as they are an excellent resource for not only parts, but for giving free advice, which they are famous for. They can diagnose engine problems over the phone better than a lot of mechanics sitting in your engine room.

Still wouldn’t hurt to give American Diesel a call. You just might luck out. Even it they don’t have what you need, you need to get to know these folks as they are an excellent resource for not only parts, but for giving free advice, which they are famous for. They can diagnose engine problems over the phone better than a lot of mechanics sitting in your engine room.

Absolutely.

Another possible source is fredwarner1 who sells Lehman parts on ebay,and direct.

We don’t have Lehmans anymore. But when we did I would usually buy the parts from American Diesel because of all the time Brian spent giving me free advice. If you want to continue to have the support and wisdom of someone like Brian then we need to spend money at AD so he is able to stay in business. I have no affiliation with AD, just a very satisfied customer. I wish I had a resource like Brian for my Cummins engines…

We don’t have Lehmans anymore. But when we did I would usually buy the parts from American Diesel because of all the time Brian spent giving me free advice. If you want to continue to have the support and wisdom of someone like Brian then we need to spend money at AD so he is able to stay in business. I have no affiliation with AD, just a very satisfied customer. I wish I had a resource like Brian for my Cummins engines…
:thumb: Of course, ADC deserves every support. Quite possibly other suppliers get their stock from ADC. Sometimes, with manufacturing delays due to labor shortage, and supply line issues, it can be a question of who has the part on hand at the time it`s needed.

Lehman Manifold

Greetings Polecat 702 and welcome to the forum as well! I went through similar search for my same Lehman last Spring when I removed my exhaust manifold elbow to fit in a new fuel tank, then proceeded to jam a screwdriver through the bottom of the elbow.... luckily, Brian at ADC had a replacement for me but when the main exhaust/intake manifold had the same issue.... rotted out at the bottom..... Brian put me on a "wait list", so I recommend you get on that list. Per above, Brian has a foundry cast the manifold but he does the machining on the mating surfaces. Search under "Lehman Manifold" and you will find my story, along with some reasonable photos. Long story short, I located a welder in my region (NY) that specializes in repair of vintage diesel engines and they did a fine job repairing my burn through hole with silicon bronze. One season down but they claimed their repair would outlast the manifold and they did seem to know what they were doing there. At this point, I have not heard from Brian, and I assume that I am still on the list. I had contemplated grabbing new from him when it became available, but may bail on it as well. Get you name on the list is probably best as you explore other options. Out in Las Vegas, not sure of your access to welding options but take a look at my prior posting re: this topic and see if it might be a direction for you, at least as interim. Good Luck!

If you find a solution please share it. Personally I doubt any new castings exist and I have called other sources to see if I can find a custom/other option for the manifold.

Used engines with intact manifold s seem non-existent , they all eventually rust out around number six…

Maybe mine is still useable but it is thinning, especially at the exhaust elbow flange. This seems to be a weak point on aging 2715e engines.

I fully agree with you and I would have bought my parts from Brian if he would have had them available. Pricewise he was actually better than where I had to buy them now. Unfortunately I could not wait 6 to 7 months before the parts became available.
Brian is incredibly knowlegeable when it comes to Ford Lehman, he is a walking encyclopedia.
And you are right, if we want someone like Brian to stay in business we need to buy from him.

I took the last seminar that Bob Smith gave before he passed away. He was phenomenal in his knowledge of Lehmans as well as trawlers. He passed an encyclopedia of knowledge on to Brian.

I will guess you have but have you contacted Seaboard Marine? They have a similar reputation.
www.sbmar.com

The difference is AD will talk on the phone for an hour if necessary. SBmar is great but I don’t think they give free advice anymore l. And I can understand why but…

If you find a solution please share it. Personally I doubt any new castings exist and I have called other sources to see if I can find a custom/other option for the manifold.

Used engines with intact manifold s seem non-existent , they all eventually rust out around number six…

Maybe mine is still useable but it is thinning, especially at the exhaust elbow flange. This seems to be a weak point on aging 2715e engines.
Mambo42 mentioned in Post #3 that American Diesel is expecting newly-casted manifolds in early 2023. So, while new manifolds may not now exist, they will soon be available.

Gentelman,
I've spoken with Brian. He told me that they're going to be recasting the combo manifolds in the near future. Deliveryshould be around Augest of this year, price in the 3200.00 price range each manifold.
I'm going to see if we can have my two manifolds welded just to move her back into her slip. She's at J&H Marine, in Stockton, Ca.
I'm goina check out every lead y'all have been so kind to give me!
Thanks again to all, I'll keep y'all posted!
Joe

The 1 difference between American Diesel and any other shop that sells part is that Bob Smith helped to develop & marinize the Lehman. That was why he was so knowledgeable.

You can try other sources, but the wealth of knowledge is secured at American Diesel.

Don't waste your time trying to reinvent the wheel, work with them you'll know it is right.

I took one of Bob Smith's Lehman courses in Anacortes a few years ago. Very informative. I took his advice to upgrade oil coolers and hoses. I have bought many Lehman and Borg Warner parts from Brian over the years. I have always been satisfied. I once returned some unused piston rings years after I ordered them for a partial refund. Very reasonable and knowledgeable.

Welcome aboard. Try American Diesel they are the Lehman gurus. Brian is great to work with. 804-435-3107
Agreed. The guys at AD are the go to for Lehmans. They answer questions quickly and pleasantly even when a sale may not be imminent. A rarity these days.

Craigslist ad in Tumwater WA, basically Olympia, showing an exhaust manifold for sale $300.

Craigslist ad in Tumwater WA, basically Olympia, showing an exhaust manifold for sale $300.

Sold as of this morning. The seller has a bunch of other parts available.

Since I own a 2715e I follow posts about this engine. Lots of people looking for exhaust elbows and some expansion tanks.

Seems like they are getting scarce and people are having the parts fabricated from stainless. Probably expensive but what can you do?

pete

Since I own a 2715e I follow posts about this engine. Lots of people looking for exhaust elbows and some expansion tanks.

Seems like they are getting scarce and people are having the parts fabricated from stainless. Probably expensive but what can you do?

pete

Based on the age of the engines it seems that many of the manifolds are showing age, so we are starting to see more cases of rust-through/burn-through on the manifolds around exhaust port #6 (and other issues). Good salvage manifolds are very hard to find and new casting don't exist yet. Some owners have done successful repairs of the castings using a qualified welding shop.

Because the 2715E manifold is unique to the marinized version of the engine it suffers from a relatively smaller parts market, compared to the non-marinized version of the engine used in trucks. Common parts are pretty findable.

It's been stated on here that Brian is planning to make a run of new wet-manifold castings, but the cost ($3k or more) is going to lead to a lot of owners considering a repower. Check with him.

There is no shortage of new exhaust elbows - get'em from American Diesel. Almost everything else on the engine is easily sourced from Brian...

pete

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I hope mine lasts....:ermm:

pete
Exhuat elbows are easily obtained from American Diesel.

In my experience exhaust elbows were readily available, eg American Diesel and fredwarner1. Latter may buy from former. Beware there are 2 sizes, from memory 3.5" and 4". Or is it 3" and 3.5"? Measure carefully.

Back
Top Bottom