South Carolina for the winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OTW

Looking for Marina recommendations to winter in SC hopefully in a protected area in case of storms. We have a Holland 38 LOA 40 and daughter lives in Charleston but we would like to be any where in SC.

Osprey Marina in the southern part of Myrtle Beach was always an inexpensive, desired storm hole, but recently raised prices I have heard.

In the norther part..... "Offering simply the best in boating amenities, Myrtle Beach Yacht Club is situated in the picturesque and well protected waters of Coquina Harbor in Little River, South Carolina." Plus there are several other marinas in Coquina Harbor which is on the intracoastal just south of Little River inlet. Spent a Summer there, great place and convenient ...except way down to Charleston. Weathered Hurricane Dorian there without issue, good Hurricane Hole.

Last place I stayed out of the 3 was St Johns Harbor on the Stono River just south of Charleston. Not near a lot but very close to Charleston. Nice liveaboards there in the past. Not as good for storms but not real bad, though winter nor'westers kick the river up pretty good if out near the end of the docks.

We've also stayed at MBYC (Little River), Osprey (Socastee), St. Johns... as well as McClellanvile, Ashley in Charleston, Port Royal Landing (I think before SH ownership), Beaufort Town Docks (before SH ownership), and at the Harborwalk in Georgetown. We spent last winter at Safe Harbor Charleston City.

I'm not so aware of the surrounding areas, aside from downtown Charleston and Georgetown... but the marinas all have pros/cons. For instance, Osprey has been very inexpensive and is very well-protected... but also relatively isolated, so ground transportation can be a thing. St. Johns is indeed a bit exposed; ditto Port Royal Landing. And we survived last January's storm at SHCC -- because we were on the opposite side of the dock from S winds, "inside" the original Megadock" -- but many boats on the outside got beat up, trashed, a couple actually sunk... Et cetera.

Charleston is of course the most "social" of those. Easy access to a nice town with lots of stuff to do/see. Very well run marina. OTOH, if your SHCC slip assignment is way out toward an end of the original Megadock or the new Megadock... just getting off the marina grounds can be a tromp. (Or we could call for a golf cart...) I think if we were to try SHCC again, we'd maybe only do it if we could get one of the inside non-Megadock slips... which have in the past mostly been for all local boats. Or maybe we'd try again for an inside protected slip at Ashley, just next door.

Beaufort was pleasant. Only happen to have stayed there once, though. Nice town, docks not great, at the time. Might have been other options in the area.

We do like our visit to Georgetown. Nice downtown. There are other marinas there, of course, but Harborwalk is so convenient to the downtown area that it's been our go-to for when we've passed through there over the last several years.

-Chris

Last edited:
Check tax implications for SC.

Last I checked (2021) it was 181 days in coastal counties (not necessarily continuous) before they look for registration and taxes.

Best to check with county tax office for where you plan to stay....but I think they are all similar. Get away from the coastal snowbird counties and the time drops.

Safe Harbor Bristol Marina is the next marina on the Ashley River past the Ashley Marina and the Highway 17 Bascule Bridges. The bridges’ clearance is 14 feet and they do not regularly open for marina tenants but clearance will be around 20 feet at low tide.

Well run. Very few transients. No sailboats.

Back
Top Bottom