Foreign-built pleasure boat to commercial fishing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCO2024

Foreign-built 40' pleasure boat now in WA State - would like to turn it into near-shore commercial fishing boat. Is it possible? Where to find info?

Normally No. it has to be US built for commercial fishing endorsement. But there might be an exemption process. Check with the Coast Guard Documentation Center, and be sure is the actual coast guard people, not one of the “service” companies that likes to masquerade as the USCG and charge extra fees. USCG.mil

Normally No. it has to be US built for commercial fishing endorsement. But there might be an exemption process. Check with the Coast Guard Documentation Center, and be sure is the actual coast guard people, not one of the “service” companies that likes to masquerade as the USCG and charge extra fees. USCG.mil
Thank you!

Hmm, I didn’t know about that. When did that rule happen? There were plenty of Canadian built vessels fishing in Alaska when I was younger.

Hmm, I didn’t know about that. When did that rule happen? There were plenty of Canadian built vessels fishing in Alaska when I was younger.
Well, you might be right. I can‘t find anything in a quick search, so might just be confusing it with coastwise trade

It's the Jones Act and I think it goes back to the 1930's. I know it applies to freight and passenger vessels, not sure about fishing. There is a waiver process, one of the pax vessels I ran was Canadian built and had a waiver.

I’m fining an AI generated thing that says the Jones act applies to commercial fishing boats too. But not something I would trust without verification.

It's the Jones Act and I think it goes back to the 1930's. I know it applies to freight and passenger vessels, not sure about fishing. There is a waiver process, one of the pax vessels I ran was Canadian built and had a waiver.
Thank you. I'll look into wavers.

I'm in the same boat....lol. Im trying to buy a Canada boat to fish in Alaska. Here is what I found out, a foreign boat that is under 5 tones of rated cargo capacity is not regulated. If you can find the capacity, not the actual weight of the boat, in your paperwork that would be the best proof. Most boats that are under 26' are under 5 tones capacity. In Alaska if you register with the state and not the cost guard, you can fill in the tonnage without proof but I don't know about Washington. If it's over 5 then I don't think you can use it for commercial transport or fishing.

my son in law, fishes a Canadian built in Alaska, it's 38' and can pack well over 5 tons of fish. I don't remember that it was an issue to license it to fish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom