Fuel Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hwclark

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lazy Grady, Man O War
Vessel Make
1992 and 1994 Grady Whites 24’ Explorers
10/9/22 I have a 2014 I/O Stern Drive on my 1994 24’ Grady White. (350 Mercrusier Mag with less than 100 hours). On two occasions the engine has cut off while at idle and then would not crank. Some 15 to 30 minutes later after being towed in, it cranked and ran fine.

Gas/fuel quality is not an issue. The fuel filter is new. The sleeve from the tank fill cap to the fuel tank is new. The boat itself has been restored to like new condition but to my knowledge the electrical, fuel pump and gas lines on the engine are original (2014 or 1994)?

I am thinking: (Issues)

1. Fuel Pump
2. Gas lines
3. Replace or dump fuel filter

Last edited:
Engine cutoff is moss likely a sensor or some other issue. Fuel will not stop an engine from cranking.

When you say it wouldn't "crank" are you saying the starter wouldn't turn the motor? If so, how could that be related to fuel? Unless by "crank" you mean the engine was turning but wouldn't start?

"Would not crank". Meaning it didn't turn over, or that it turned over normally but would not start? If it turned over normally, you can confirm fuel-related problems by trying to start with a can of ether. If it turns over but won't start on ether, I would focus on an intermittent electrical problem, first by confirming a good spark.

Starter would turn over, engine would not crank

10/9/22 I have a 2014 I/O Stern Drive on my 1994 24’ Grady White. (350 Mercrusier Mag with less than 100 hours). On two occasions the engine has cut off while at idle and then would not crank. Some 15 to 30 minutes later after being towed in, it cranked and ran fine.

Gas/fuel quality is not an issue. The fuel filter is new. The sleeve from the tank fill cap to the fuel tank is new. The boat itself has been restored to like new condition but to my knowledge the electrical, fuel pump and gas lines on the engine are original (2014 or 1994)?

I am thinking: (Issues)

1. Fuel Pump
2. Gas lines
3. Replace or dump fuel filteR

Starter would turn over. Engine would not start.

Starter would turn over. Engine would not start

Most people refer to the starter turning as "cranking". As MYT said, if it won't start, it could be lack of fuel or spark. Do some simple tests as he suggested before randomly replacing things.

If starter runs and engine does not crank. Only 2 possibilities

1 the trust / throw-out bearing is sticking . While its spinning gently rap with a dead blow mallet. If it engages the starter is the problem Try lubricating the throw-out bearing. or replace starter.

2 the voltage is too low for the starter. its not spinning fast enough to send out the throw-out bearing . Check voltage , connections and battery .

Low voltage bad electrical connections can cause an idle stall.

It's not entirely clear, but it sounds like the starter is turning the engine? It also sounds like it's heat-related, so possibly an ignition problem. I seem to remember that an ignition coil can become faulty when hot.

Last edited:
Fuel related problems seldom fix themselves.
Electrical problems can be intermittent such as a loose wire or an electronic component that intermittently fails based on engine temperature.

If repriminng the squeeze ball doesn't fix an intermittent problem, I would suggest it's more likely electrical.

Ted

Electrical problems can be intermittent such as a loose wire or an electronic component that intermittently fails based on engine temperature.

If repriminng the squeeze ball doesn't fix an intermittent problem, I would suggest it's more likely electrical.

Ted[/QUOTE

Sorry to be so uninformed. Does a Mercrusier I/O have a squeeze ball or a fuel pump? It is electronic injection I think?]

Ted[/QUOTE

Sorry to be so uninformed. Does a Mercrusier I/O have a squeeze ball or a fuel pump? It is electronic injection I think?]

Probably not.

Depending on electrical or mechanical fuel pump it should be easy enough to determine fuel flow. Is the engine electronically injected or carburetor?

If electronically, there will be a procedure to bleed the system to the injectors. This should prove everything to the injectors. I would search online for a manual or buy the mechanic's manual for the engine. There should be an outline for proper bleeding of the fuel system. You will want this information for when you're charging fuel filters.

Ted

If you did nothing to the fuel system, and it started right up after being towed in, I find it hard to imagine a fuel related problem that fixed itself from being towed in.

Ted

How To Use The Forum, Site News & Account Concerns

First thing to fix is move thread to correct forum.
I moved it - mod edit
Then the problem is electrical. A 1994 boat with an engine that has 100 hours suggests a new engine or rebuilt installation. This would require disconnecting and reconnecting wires, even wiring harness connections can fail.
A loose connection, probably the ground wire.
The description sounds like the starter turns but does not engage/turn/crank the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
A previous boat I had the same engine, same issue. After an hour or so of good running it would bog down and die, then refuse to start till it cooled off. It was tue carb. Rebuilding didn't help. I replaced it and never had another issue.

carburator

10/10/22 Thanks so much for responding. Sounds like similar issue. Please say again your problem and solution? My engine would run great then cut off at idle. I could then start it later in say 15 minutes as if no problem? The engine has never quit while up and running. The incidence has occurred on two different occasions.

It might be ‘algae’ in fuel tank. Biofuels have water in their mix annoyingly. A good way to see is your fuel filter black around the edges. There are several chemicals available on the market to remedy your problem as the emulsify, eat the algae with no traces left.
WarrenT

No expert on that eng but wondering if it might be due to vapor lock?
If fuel line is near a heat source low flow = more time to heat up and vaporize.
Cool down condenses vapor and again good to go?
Worth check routing of fuel line for hot-spots.
Does it happen more frequently in hot Wx? Less when cold?
If in doubt about routing maybe confirm by slitting a hose length to provide some insulation in that area.
Just a wild guess but worth considering?

It might be ‘algae’ in fuel tank. Biofuels have water in their mix annoyingly. A good way to see is your fuel filter black around the edges. There are several chemicals available on the market to remedy your problem as the emulsify, eat the algae with no traces left.
WarrenT
thanks, good thoughts

No expert on that eng but wondering if it might be due to vapor lock?
If fuel line is near a heat source low flow = more time to heat up and vaporize.
Cool down condenses vapor and again good to go?
Worth check routing of fuel line for hot-spots.
Does it happen more frequently in hot Wx? Less when cold?
If in doubt about routing maybe confirm by slitting a hose length to provide some insulation in that area.
Just a wild guess but worth considering?
thanks, worth considering

Fuel tank vent clogged? Or non existent? Vent hose pinched?

Last edited:
WarrenT
Bio gasoline and algae? Is bio gas real in some places? Heard of bio diesel but not gas?
Fuel tank vent clogged? Or non existent? Vent hose pinched?
I though of that but should require least vent at idle and more at full flow/ speed.
Easy to check by leaving fuel cap loose or loosening as soon as eng stalls to see if it starts right up.

good idea

Check the anti siphon fitting where the hose from the fuel tank connects also. I used to siphon a lot of fuel from portable tanks into my boat and debris clogged the ball in the anti siphon valve. Since I couldn't remove the pieces of O ring from my fuel tank I removed the anti siphon valve and just let the fuel filter do it's job.

It's normally a spring loaded ball you can access by removing the fuel line from the tank and poking up inside to check for free movement. It's just another point in the fuel line that you can check between engine and fuel tank.

There is a spark interrupter linked to the shift cable at the engine, it prevents a cylinder from firing right as the shift dog in the lower unit is in transition, if this switch is failing, it would stop the engine. If it is failing, it would occur at all throttle levels, not just at idle but it is one more thing you can check out.

check the fuel pressure (assuming 350 MAG = Magnum MPI).

Those engines had problems with the paint coating in the "cool fuel module" (filter housing) coming off due to ethanol in the fuel and obstructing the fuel pressure regulator, causing the engine to starve out of fuel when hot.

I assume he means ethanol gas made from corn
Ah yes... never thought of ethanol that way but could be.
Also I've heard a lot about separation of ethanol but not algae.
I have heard many call the bad stuff in diesel algae but AFAIK it's not algae as algae needs sunlight?

Engine cut off

check the fuel pressure (assuming 350 MAG = Magnum MPI).

Those engines had problems with the paint coating in the "cool fuel module" (filter housing) coming off due to ethanol in the fuel and obstructing the fuel pressure regulator, causing the engine to starve out of fuel when hot.

10/12/22 thanks for the reply. It sounds logical that this could be the problem.

Back
Top Bottom